Addiction

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Hi, I'll get to the point because i can't take it anymore. I have an addiction to ADHD medication. they help me concentrate. I do my school work on it, study, listen to hymns, read the bible on it. first i want to know if taking it to help me concentrate is a sin? Is it wrong to pray, listen to hymns and read the bible while the medication is in effect?

It helps me dig deeper into the bible and what god is trying to tell me. I usually don't have the attention span to pray for more than 5 mins. but while on it i pray for nearly an hour. Is this pray accepted, even if it really came from my heart to the point of crying?

Comments

• God loves you no matter what...

now do you have ADHD?! if no then you are taking an illegal drug, and you are breaking the law... and effecting your body... so there are things that would be considered as a sins...

now you have made your attention span worse than before, and you are probably wasting so much money, these pill fall at about 2-5 dollars a pill on the street... 

its better to wean off it... I advice you to do it quick, because there is enough damage to wait for more... even those who have ADHD will be weaned off, because its not good for you on the long run... but keep praying, I would tell you keep fasting, but with this medication, fasting wont be hard (sorry a dry joke) in the end God listens to you always... but wants you to do His command... and His command is that you don't do something illegal...

I would also advice you to seek professional help, to see how you can reverse the effect that has already been made on your brain...

neshkor  Allah, akhadna el baraka!
  • what are the medical side effects? I have never looked into it.
  • Aderrall, an ADHD medication, is another form of cocaine. It is a stimulate, an amphetamine. You are causing cardiovascular problems to yourself. The risk of dependence is even higher the younger you start using it. Just pray and ask God to help you depend on him and not any drug.
  • Have you been diagnosed with ADHD?

Was the medication prescribed to you or someone else?

• Its tough, I take alot of meds. Unfortunately the one that I use to stay awake and help me get motivated is too expensive and I do not have insurance for. I know what you mean though that it helps you pay attention and do things you normally cannot do. What you MUST do, if you do have ADHD, is regulate it yourself. I have Klonopin which I want to take everyday to make the frustration and irritation easier, but I have to deal with it and figure out how to cope and use it only if needed. I did that with Provigil too, which is not addictive but not approved for teens. You should not whole heartedly rely on meds unless of course you have to. I HAVE to take my Lithium and Lamictal, I have no choice. I also struggled with this idea that, because I take these does that mean what I do, say, and feel for God is not real?

It is, it is my cross and this is yours. If you do not need it do not take it. If you do then you need to regulate yourself and take responsibility. Do not become reliant on a drug like this.