Why do Copts go to the Evangelicals?

edited October 2010 in Random Issues
Hi.

Following the news here:

http://www.almasryalyoum.com/en/news/coptic-and-evangelical-churches-trade-barbs

Do you personally see or have witnessed Coptic Christians leaving the Church to join the evangelical churches?

From what I've heard, this seems to be the case; especially amongst the young adults (20 to 35 age).

Maybe its more "fun" there, or perhaps they like the atmosphere - regardless, I'd like to know what we are missing that leads people to such Churches??

Thanks

Comments

• Hmm. Maybe it's an easier commitment?

I always just shake my head at the people who say the Orthodox church is outdated. I don't understand the "needs" that the Coptic church hasn't adapted to. Change on the scale of the Protestant reformation is just way overboard. If God doesn't change, then His church should remain the same as well.
  • i'm not sure this is a very reliable source...
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=9856.msg120796#msg120796 date=1287137691]
    i'm not sure this is a very reliable source...

Hi,

That's why Im asking if anyone here has seen such a trend.

I've heard from friends in Egypt that this seems to be happening.
  • It most definitely is happening.  I have personally witnessed this wth my own eyes.  However to try to number them is kinda hard, specially since most Orthodox who start attending Evangelical services, will count themselves as both, or will regard to themselves as Orthodox.

As mentioned it is primarily the youth who tend to switch over.  My friend [who swears he's Orthodox, and even teaches Sunday School] says he goes there for the hymns and hte praises.  Others I know, need the energetic and uplifting sermons.  Lastly, their youth movement stresses unity heavily, as a result there is a lot of interaction between the two sexes, something RARELY seen in the COC, specially in Egypt.  Many of the Orthodox kids simply go there, because they find it a safe environment to 'hang out' with girls.
  • [quote author=gregorytheSinner link=topic=9856.msg120798#msg120798 date=1287141253]
    It most definitely is happening.  I have personally witnessed this wth my own eyes.  However to try to number them is kinda hard, specially since most Orthodox who start attending Evangelical services, will count themselves as both, or will regard to themselves as Orthodox.

As mentioned it is primarily the youth who tend to switch over.  My friend [who swears he's Orthodox, and even teaches Sunday School] says he goes there for the hymns and hte praises.  Others I know, need the energetic and uplifting sermons.  Lastly, their youth movement stresses unity heavily, as a result there is a lot of interaction between the two sexes, something RARELY seen in the COC, specially in Egypt.  Many of the Orthodox kids simply go there, because they find it a safe environment to 'hang out' with girls.

Yes, that's very true. Orthodox Christians who do attend the Evangelical Churches would still consider them Orthodox, but they probably go because of the sermons there.

This may not necessarily be a bad thing. I was having a chat with a senior Orthodox Bishop who told me "Do you think that if the Orthodox Church ex-communicated me, this would remove my love for Jesus Christ?"

I found this statement brilliant. We tend to have a vision, as Orthodox Christians, that we need priests so much, that without them - we are lost, we are not saved.

The evangelical church can help foster the fact that going to a particular Church or not should not define our relationship with God.

Yes, we live the fullness of the Christian life IN the Orthodox faith - there's NO DOUBT about that - but equally, each person should have a relationship with His Lord and Saviour that should be independent of priests, pastors, teachers, or anything else.

In my honest opinion.
  • There are a whole list of reasons and excuses, and one must also differentiate the between those who are already Evangelical Copts vs. those who are Orthodox and then proceed to the Evangelical Protestant side.  I will concentrate my observations solely and the latter group:

1.  The Orthodox do not do enough to nurture their Church and their presence in the Church; this leads to taking things for granted.

2.  They will opt for the system that is lax in any discipline, because they have become lazy.

3.  They start to feel that they are in charge of their own interpretation of Christianity.  They rely on themselves and fly-by-night operations as sources.  They will forget the nurture of the Fathers and the Church.

4.  They think that the Evangelical system is "sexy", fun, hip-hop.

5.  Covering a fault or a sin by going to a church that will tell you it is okay.

6.  Blaming the Church for a person's fault or wrong; e.g. a priest or servant's wrong as being indicative of the whole church.

7.  Never learning or delving into the Church.

8.  Marrying an evangelical.

9.  Following friends to an evangelical meeting.

10.  Falling for false words and false healings.

11.  Not wanting to participate in the financial responsibilities of a church parish.

12.  Thinking that this Western approach will match the Western new life from immigration.

13.  The devil made me do it.

14.  Being divorced and not able to participate in the Sacraments of the Orthodox Church.

15.  Eating bad Chinese food, having a dream, and thinking it was a revelation from God.

16.  You like a good speaker without an Egyptian accent.

17.  You like superficial and silly interpretations of the Bible.

18.  You fall for the one verse interpretation of a given thought.

19.  Their services are shorter.

20.  You blame the God of the Orthodox Church for given misfortunes.

21.  You fall for improper translation of verses.

22.  You want to spite your parents.

And a whole lot of silly ones that I won't list.
  • That's not necessarily true though ILSM

I think it has a lot to do with the sermons, and the music.
  • This is the exact thing I am fighting against, and we all should be fighting against. Unfortunately, like here, I am not taken seriously.
  • Zoxsasi,

I believe I was inclusive of your comments and observations.

I did not include the silly ones.

All of the mentioned are real, and I mean it. [No joking around]
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9856.msg120812#msg120812 date=1287165073]
    Zoxsasi,

I believe I was inclusive of your comments and observations.

I did not include the silly ones.

All of the mentioned are real, and I mean it. [No joking around]

so which ones were silly?
  • They were all real.  These actually are my observations as well as verbal accounts given to me over the years.

OK:  maybe the Chinese food.

The others are real.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9856.msg120815#msg120815 date=1287171966]
    They were all real.  These actually are my observations as well as verbal accounts given to me over the years.

OK:  maybe the Chinese food.

The others are real.

I think it has a lot to do with finding a wife also..that's why they go there
  • I need to find a wife, but I would not go there.  You can add it to my list.