St. Mina

Hello everyone

I was wondering when we mention St. Mina in coptic we say " [coptic]Aba Myna `nte niVaiat [/coptic]

What does[coptic] niVaiat[/coptic] mean?

Ebnyasoo3

Comments

• This is just speaking of the city where he was from. I looked at his entry in the Synaxarium but it only mentioned the city of "Nakiyos". My assumption is that this is the Greek pronunciation, or name for the city that we refer to as Fayiat.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Oh and don't forget to pray for me :)
  • The place where his body and Monastery is--Maryout, Alex which is also considered Baayad or Fayat, or Vayat.
  • Thank you guys

Things are clear now.

God bless
    Ebnyasoo3
  • Who would know better than Mina-gir?  He is the Mina.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9848.msg120561#msg120561 date=1286823281]
    Who would know better than Mina-gir?  He is the Mina.

hehe
  • Dear Mina,
    Fayat? Or Fayad? I never heard these names before, but maybe nearer to Tanta by origin (is it Tanta or not?!!!!!!!!!!! can't remember now), maybe you have some inside knowledge.
    In fact, if anything this proves how wrong is the Greco-Bohairic dialect is, and the authentic one is accurate. According to the studies by Fr. Shenouda the letter "[coptic]v[/coptic]" used to be pronounced as /b/ in Bohairic, and of course you already know "[coptic]t[/coptic]" as /d/. So the word becomes Bayad... anyone fancy pronouncing it /vayat/ or /fayad/ to complicate things further. Well, my plea: please don't...
    [coptic]oujai qen `P[C[/coptic]
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=9848.msg120564#msg120564 date=1286824131]
    Dear Mina,
    Fayat? Or Fayad? I never heard these names before, but maybe nearer to Tanta by origin (is it Tanta or not?!!!!!!!!!!! can't remember now), maybe you have some inside knowledge.
    In fact, if anything this proves how wrong is the Greco-Bohairic dialect is, and the authentic one is accurate. According to the studies by Fr. Shenouda the letter "[coptic]v[/coptic]" used to be pronounced as /b/ in Bohairic, and of course you already know "[coptic]t[/coptic]" as /d/. So the word becomes Bayad... anyone fancy pronouncing it /vayat/ or /fayad/ to complicate things further. Well, my plea: please don't...
    [coptic]oujai qen `P[C[/coptic]

I don't think it's close to tanta at all. The reason i said this is because in the psalmody of El-Fayoum and Bahnasa, they say El-Maryouti instead of El-Bayadi.
  • can it not be used ava mena ente ni fiat and pi agios ava mena ive heard both ways?
  • [quote author=Kiro7 link=topic=9848.msg120574#msg120574 date=1286828844]
    can it not be used ava mena ente ni fiat and pi agios ava mena ive heard both ways?

i have heard both ways to. There are hymns that are set with way that we must not change. but than you have things like Axios and other parts that we ourselves add; that would be based on our choice.
  • which way should it be said during the hitenys?
  • I believe that the use of different titles:  Apa, Ava, pi-agios, etc. relate to poetic metre relative to the given hymn and within the context of the rhyming scheme.
  • DEar Mina,
    I was talking about you coming from Tanta or somewhere near but I couldn't remember... hehe
    DEar Kiro7 and ilovesaintmark,
    Please refer to my post above and try to learn Coptic the accurate way rather than the flawed way. BAsically aba is just another spelling of the word pronounced mistakenly as ava because people were taught that the second letter in Coptic language (ie waida) is the same as the Greek counterpart vita. Also there is no /p/ sound in Coptic. They say a light p may have existed in only 2 words in the Demotic language but they were abolished by Egyptians who became Christian and the pronunciation faded away
  • Ophadece,

The pronunciation was not the issue that I was making.  It had to do with poetic metre.
  • OK ilovesaintmark. I'm glad you understand my point clearly. God bless you and please pray for us a lot
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=9848.msg120585#msg120585 date=1286832825]
    DEar Mina,
    I was talking about you coming from Tanta or somewhere near but I couldn't remember... hehe

oh. Well tanta is close to us. Tanta is in GHarpeia, El-mansoura is the capital of el-Dakahleya. hehe......you forgot places in egpyt already  ;D. i havn't been there since i came to the states (around 10 yrs) and still remember.
  • Hehe... I think you are right. I'm ageing very quickly. I just hope I won't be dementing that quickly. The funny thing is that I went to Egypt in April and I'm still struggling. Hehe