Singing at Church

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Selam everyone,

Hello everyone i have a issue that i hope you all will know how to answer,

Theres this 12 year old girl at my Church and everyone time we are practicing the mezmur(praise),
she sometimes askes me why do we have to sing if we don't even understand what we are saying,
and when i tell her what the meaning is she continues to kind of close her mind to what im saying
and this not only effects her but also the other girls that follow her about 3-4 of them.

I don't know what to tell her...

please help

May God Bless you all and i pray you know how to answer this...

Comments

• [quote author=Thanks be to God Always link=topic=9766.msg119739#msg119739 date=1285253619]
    Selam everyone,

Hello everyone i have a issue that i hope you all will know how to answer,

Theres this 12 year old girl at my Church and everyone time we are practicing the mezmur(praise),
    she sometimes askes me why do we have to sing if we don't even understand what we are saying,
    and when i tell her what the meaning is she continues to kind of close her mind to what im saying
    and this not only effects her but also the other girls that follow her about 3-4 of them.

I don't know what to tell her...

please help

May God Bless you all and i pray you know how to answer this...

Wait a second, the psalms are in either Arabic or English. The priest NEVER prays in Coptic.

She doesn't understand the words in the Psalms?

Here's an example :

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in path of sinners, that standeth not in the council of the ungodly, and that does not sit amongst the wicked".

(That's from my memory - sorry if I got some words mixed up) - but what is so hard to understand about that?

I think its quite elementary.

If you could clarify, I'd be interested to know more.
  • Q: "Why do we have to sing if we don't understand?"
    A: The better question is "Why don't you understand if you have to sing?"

It may work to switch the responsibility on her for not trying to understand it, as opposed to you for making her sing it.
  • are you singing in ge'ez? i personally think it's a good idea for people to worship God in a language they can speak.
    if it's in a language she speaks, then explain to her the meaning (not all kids know big words) and also explain about God's love for her, the great sacrifice of our Saviour Jesus and all that is means to be a Christian.
    i'm not sure we should force people to sing things that don't come from their hearts.

on the other hand, if she's just being grumpy and stubborn and trying to see how you will respond then you should continue to be a bit firm with her.

so it depends on the situation what exactly you should do. i pray God will guide you and all who teach children, it is a big responsibility and also a big honour.
  • I think you should emphasize to her that we DO know what were saying.
    Tell her.. YES it is wrong to sing without knowing what were saying...but we do know what were saying here and thats why were praising God. Were praising God with our hearts.
    Usually alot of kids are like that...pray for them :)
    Im sure they will chang when theyre older