Burning the Koran Day

Hi,

As you all aware, some church in the USA is planning to burn Korans to remember the 9/11 event.

Every other Christian denomination has repudiated this action, and I was wondering if it would not be a bad idea for the Coptic Orthodox Church to denounce such actions as unchristian also?

Why is this church gaining a lot of attention anyway? Its seems like a small bunch of crazy people who have got more attention than they deserve!?

Comments

• Because the press love this sort of thing, and the crowds of less well educated Muslims also love this sort of thing.

What is in the news bears no relation to reality. We can trust almost nothing it tells us.

Father Peter
  • similar thread to add
    http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?topic=9525.0

A congregation of 50 persons led by a fool will cause the suffering and death of thousands.
    The symptoms of severe troubles are already seen everywhere.

Foolish pastor do you gain and gather or are you scattering disseminating hate among men?
    Do you spread the joy of the Gospel or the sadness of the darkness of the evil one?
    Do you really think you are evangelizing Love and peace?

The devil is already laughing out loud, go on make it happier than it is.
    What will happen when you exasperate others with something they seriously hate most?
    Or what would be the reciprocal expected reactions?

I tell you they respect more holy books even when they falsely claim the Bible was changed by men. Do not be horrified when you see as a reaction of the masses that they burn the US and the Israeli flags in the same fire they are burning also the Holy Bible (God forbid) - just to make this cheap Pastor's ego happy and promote the name of Dove they do not deserve.

Lord help us all, stop the war counsel of Achitofel and stop the disastrous killers of peace.

GBU
  • Zoxsasi,

I know you do not mean that of course but at 1st glance the thread title appears to promote the event and looks like the news, a flaming main story (sorry).

In Egypt we ALL disagree and are totally against this evil event. It is such an uncivilized non responsible hate behavior. The whole thing gives the worst wrong impression against our good Christian teaching (God forbid).

Here is HH Pope Shenouda's reply:
    http://www.copticpope.org/downloads/audio/q08092010_2.zip

GBU
  • Yes, its a very foolish act indeed.

This is not from God.

Mocking and humiliating the faith of others is not right.

Even if their reasoning is that the Koran/Islam is from the devil, this is not the way to approach it. And their reasoning/wisdom is from God (i.e. to burn koran's and cause havoc and threat against innocent christians as a result?!!!)

Of course not.

I don't think the Quran is from God, but burning it in this way and needlessly offending muslims is wrong. The whole episode is ONLY for the purpose of offending muslims.

However, if they do end up building the Ground-zero Mosque, there will be more than Koran Burning. I was just watching the forums and temperatures are very high.

It is being seen as this:

If I go and kill a girl I dated - I get sent to prison. Once I get out of jail, Im free to date whoever I want. There's no law stopping me from asking out her sister. Out of all the girls in the world I could date, I choose her sister? And that's to make peace with the family? Dating their sister is to show them that I really do care about them, and that Im not evil?? lol

This is basically what they are doing by building a mosque in that area.

The public fury will be so much, I really feel something big is going to happen.
  • [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=9716.msg119120#msg119120 date=1284015251]
    Why is this church gaining a lot of attention anyway? Its seems like a small bunch of crazy people who have got more attention than they deserve!?

Two words: Election year in US. I challenge this priest to do it in Egypt or any other country where Christian are minority.
  • The Priest of the Burning Quran canceled it because he made a deal with the imam for not putting a mosque near ground zero.
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/09/09/florida.quran.burning/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1
  • The dude is not a priest.  Do not use that title for him.
  • [quote author=Godislove_ link=topic=9716.msg119169#msg119169 date=1284068163]
    The Priest of the Burning Quran canceled it because he made a deal with the imam for not putting a mosque near ground zero.
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/09/09/florida.quran.burning/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

This is a really interesting situation, because this man has purchased 1000's of Korans in order to burn them. Now he's not going ahead with it, what's going to happen to the Koran's?? They'd probably get thrown in the fire or the recycling bin - no doubt, which means we'll STILL end up with a disaster.

How does he get rid of them? If he throws them in the bin, he's insulted islam, he's not going to give them away to a muslim charity - is he?

His only option is ECO RECYCLING of the Korans; but either way, the books will get destroyed.

This is a very smart man who planned this. "OK. .i won't burn the Korans, but I'm going to have to throw them in the garbage instead". Its best to burn it.. its less offensive.
  • i thought maybe he cancelled it coz people like us were upset!
    turned out he had some visits from the fbi.
    should have realised it wasn't just us!
    ;)