Giving Thanks

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hello,

As you all maybe aware, the Church fathers have talked about Thanksgiving (Giving thanks to God) as the means to happiness. But can you suggest places in the Bible where it talks about giving thanks and its importance.

I know in life, bad things happen, and its very hard to not feel bitter about the cards we have been dealt. THis is why I find the topic of "Thanksgiving" very interesting.

Comments

• Be anxious for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
    (Philippians 4:6)
  • Thanks for the quote!

But tell me, how do you overcome bitter feelings. I mean, a lot of times, there are injustices in life, and we cannot help but feel bitter about that? Should we neglect the bitterness?

Should we only give thanks and pretend that nothing bad has happened to us?

How can we not be upset at disasters that happen in our lives that were not even our own making??

Its hard to give thanks to God for what you have, which is a truly a blessing, yet at the same time, as much as you thank Him for your blessing, you cannot help but blame Him for what He has allowed to happen to you. If you thank Him for what He has given you, then He is the one that has also allowed for you to have hardships and injustices.

How do you reconcile such things in your heart??
  • 'For I know that all things work toghether for good for those who love God.."
  • The Prayer of Thanksgiving of the Coptic Orthodox Church.

Our Master, as mentioned in the Gospels, gave thanks before the Eucharistic Meal.  There are plenty of times that He gives thanks to the Father in the Gospel of St. John.

• "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength."

(Philippians 4:11-13)