Quotez

Comments

• hey magnoona4lyf....quoutes by saints?! Not strangers...!!! lol

soz but jus saints coz its gotsa b religious!!!

[glow=red,2,300]For Christians above all men are forbidden to correct the stumblings of sinners by force ... It is necessary to make a man better not by force but by persuasion. We neither have authority granted us by law to restrain sinners, nor, if it were, should we know how to use it, since God gives the crown to those who are kept from evil, not by force, but by choice.

spoken by St. John Chrysostom[/glow]

GBU everyone ;)

gnite ;)
  • i knooo :-[, lolx i just really liked those quotes, whoops sorry guys... :-\

GOD BLESS ALL! :-*
  • Thou movest us to delight in praising Thee; for Thou hast formed us for Thyself, and our hearts are restless till they find rest in Thee

St Augustine

i especially like this quote caus i found it when translating a part from Augustine in Latin for school, and it was so, i dont know, true :)
  • Saint Augustines qoutes are my favourite!!!

thanx matt, for sharing that last one ;)

heres another ;)

[glow=red,2,300]Abba Isidore the Priest spake..."""If you desire salvation, do everything that leads you to it."""[/glow]

its my msn name at the moment ;)

and one by [glow=red,2,300]saint .Augustine,
    God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble[/glow]

i know it off by heart too!!!

keep them comin ;)

Goodbye ;)...GBU ALL ;D

• [glow=red,2,300]St. John Chrysostom spake...

The primary goal in the education of children is to teach and give the example of a virtuous life.[/glow]

[move] [glow=red,2,300];) ;D G B U !! ;) ;D[/glow] [/move]
  • hi
    [glow=red,2,300]it belongs to Satan to sow thoughts, but it is our affair not to welcome them.
    Abba Poeman[/glow]

[glow=red,2,300]A man who does good overcomes obstacles; he doesnt let obstacles defeat him, because he is a lover of good
    H.H Pope Shenouda III[/glow]

[glow=red,2,300]Nothing equals the mercy of God or surpasses it. to despair is therefore to inflict death on oneself
    St John Climacus[/glow]

[glow=red,2,300]Whomever escapes oppression escapes from God
    St Paul the Hermit[/glow]
  • i think it means, that living with God, includes some physical and maybe emotional discomfort, becaus the devil fights u, and ur always busy trying to do the right thing, but in return ur satisfied spiritually, so the one cant go without the other. Any other explanations?? :)
  • [glow=red,2,300]The Great Abba Antony spake...

I have received this great fiery Spirit: receive Him now yourselves. If you wish to receive Him that He may dwell in you, first offer hard labours of the flesh and humility of the heart. Raise your thoughts up to heaven night and day. Ask in uprightness of heart for this fiery Spirit and He will then be given to you...Persist in prayer diligently, with all your heart, and He will be given you, for this Spirit dwells in upright hearts. He will reveal to you higher mysteries and other things which I cannot express in ink and paper... celestial joy will then be your portion day and night.[/glow]

just love this one ;D :'( cry from hapiness ;D :P
    GBU ;)
    keep em comin ;)
  • Philippians 1:23 - having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better.

St Paul
  • Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word

King David the Prophet
  • hey mmatt?!!!
    from saints ok....
    the Bible isnt quotes...or is it?!
    but like saints are the ones with the qoutes ;)
    ok

EsHtA :P ;)
  • maybe we should start a new topic for favorite quotes from the bible? or is there one already??
  • how about...NO
    coz anyone/ everyone can just read the Bible instead...
    this qoute is relevant to what i just said....coz u have to like the whole Bible, not just fav. bits :P

[glow=red,2,300]If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you do not like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself.

-- St. Augustine[/glow]

it was the first one i mentioned in this thread...

heres another madd one ;D

[glow=red,2,300]Julius Africanus, Epistle to Aristides, II spake...

For whereas in Israel the names of their generations were enumerated either according to nature or according to law, — according to nature, indeed, by the succession of legitimate offspring, and according to law whenever another raised up children to the name of a brother dying childless; for because no clear hope of resurrection was yet given them, they had a representation of the future promise in a kind of mortal resurrection, with the view of perpetuating the name of one deceased... [/glow]

GBU ;)
  • [glow=red,2,300]"It is more important to remember God than it is to remember to breathe."[/glow]

- St Gregory of Nazianzus
  • [glow=red,2,300]"Do not be always wanting everything to turn out as you think it should, but rather as God pleases, then you will be undisturbed and thankful in you prayer."[/glow]

- Abba Nilus
  • [glow=red,2,300]Paradise of the Holy Fathers, Vol. II, On Fasting and Abstinence, #93 spake...

Abba Poemen said, "The soul can be humbled by nothing except thou enfeeble it by the eating of [little] bread."[/glow]
  • [glow=red,2,300]Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
    Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
    where there is injury,pardon;
    where there is doubt, faith;
    where there is despair, hope;
    where there is darkness, light;
    and where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
    to be consoled as to console;
    to be understood as to understand;
    to be loved as to love.
    For it is in giving that we receive;
    it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
    and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life. Amen [/glow]

St. Francis of Assisi
  • [glow=red,2,300]The heart itself is only a small vessel, yet dragons are there, and lions, there are poisonous beasts, and all the treasures of evil, there are rough and uneven roads, there are precipes; but there too is God and the angels, life is there, and the Kingdom, there too is light, and there the apostles and heavenly cities, and treasures of grace. All things lie within that little space.[/glow]

- Makarios the Great
  • [glow=red,2,300]The Canaanite woman cries out, and she is heard (Matt. 15), the woman with the issue of blood is silent and she is called blessed (Luke 8 ), the pharisee speaks and he is condemned (Matt 9), the publican does not open his mouth, and he is heard[/glow]

St. Epiphanius
  • Some sayings by St. John Chrysostom:

[glow=red,2,300]"If you forgive few things, He forgives you few! If you forgive many things, He forgives you many!" [/glow]

[glow=red,2,300]"How can you ask your Lord to be mild and merciful to you, when you have been so hard and unforgiving to your fellow-man."[/glow]

[glow=red,2,300]"Have you been wronged much and robbed and slandered and injured in matter of the first importance; and do you wish to see your enemy punished? Yet even for this, it will be of use to you to pardon him."[/glow]
  • [glow=red,2,300]- Gregory Thaumaturgus, A Sectional Confession of Faith, XV spake...

We acknowledge the passion of the Lord in the flesh, the resurrection in the power of His divinity, the ascension to heaven, and His glorious appearing when He comes for the judgment of the living and the dead, and for the eternal life of the saints. [/glow]

most of these quotes of mine, that i posted are from www.coptichymns.net lol.......
    GBU ;)
  • [glow=red,2,300]"Once a soul has been consumed
    in the depths of God's love
    and has tasted the sweet delight
    of God's intellective graces,
    it can no longer bear to stay frozen
    in its own former condition
    but is impelled to rise ever higher to the heavens.
    The higher it ascends through the Spirit,
    and the deeper it sinks into the abyss of God,
    the more it is consumed by the fire of longing
    and searches out the immensity
    of the even deeper mysteries of God,
    strenuously trying to come into that blessed light,
    where every intellect is caught up into ecstasy,
    where the heart knows it can finally rest
    from all its strivings
    and find its rest in joy".[/glow]

- Abba Niketas Stethatos
  • The Great Abba Antony spake...

The greatest might of a man is to bring upon his soul his transgression at all times before God, and he must expect temptation until the end.

there gr8 minrew
    thanks 4 sharing and caring
  • Thankyou $herry, for your kind words!! I was really inspired by all the beautiful quotes i read here, so i am only trying to share what i have as well... God Bless You all!

[glow=red,2,300]"If the Holy Spirit is peace of soul, as He is said to be and as He is in reality,
    and if anger is disturbance of heart, as it actually is and as it is said to be,
    then nothing so prevents His presence in us as anger." [/glow]

- St. John Climacus
  • wow Minrew great quotes :)

[glow=red,2,300]Prayer:
    To describe it with the boldest expression, prayer is a conversation with God.

Even if we speak with a low voice, even if we whisper without opening the lips, even if we call to Him only from the depths of our heart, our unspoken word always reaches God and God always hears.

Sometimes, however, besides speaking, we lift our head and lift our arms to heaven.

In this way, we are underlining the desire that the spirit has for the spiritual world. We are striving with the word to raise the body above the earth. We are giving wings to the soul for it to reach the good things on high. [/glow]

· St. Clement of Alexandria ·
  • Thankyou Princess Mary :) Your quotes are really great too!! In fact all the quotes here are wonderful! I hope we all benefit from all the wise words. Thanks ArIpSaLiN for this great thread. God Bless You all. ;)

Here are some more words of St. John Chrysostom:

[glow=red,2,300]"Has your neighbor wronged you and grieved you. ...Yield the matter to God, and He will dispose of it much better than you can desire."[/glow]

[glow=red,2,300]"To you He has given charge simply to pray for the one who has injured you; but how to deal with him, He has ordered you to leave for Himself."[/glow]

[glow=red,2,300]"If you pardon from the heart, and sincerely, God in like manner also pardons you."[/glow]

• thanx Minrew

St. John Chrysostom iz tha man!
  • There's plenty more by him Sherry!! ;) He wasn't called the "golden-mouthed" for no reason (that's what his name means!). May his prayers be with us all. Amen.

Here are some more of his spiritual words:

[glow=red,2,300]"Let us not procrastinate till tomorrow. For we 'know not what the next day may bring forth,' nor let us say, 'we shall conquer this habit little by little,' since this little and little will never come to an end."[/glow]

[glow=red,2,300]"If you pardon from the heart, and sincerely, God in like manner also pardons you."[/glow]

[glow=red,2,300]"For nothing so fills the mind with impurity, as anger remaining constantly within."[/glow]

[glow=red,2,300]"The spirit of meekness settles not where wrath or passion exists."[/glow]

- St. John Chrysostom

• [glow=red,2,300]If we truly think of Christ as our source of holiness, we shall refrain from anything wicked or impure in thought or act and thus show ourselves to be worthy bearers of his name. For the quality of holiness is shown not by what we say but by what we do in life. [/glow]

· St. Gregory of Nyssa ·
  • [glow=red,2,300]"If, in the case of one human being who has done wrong to another, God in His grace has commanded that we should be forgiving to the offender seventy times seven, how much more will God forgive the person who offers up supplication for his sins?"[/glow]

- St. John the Solitary