St. Mary's Fast!

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Ok so my dad only fasts this one. Is it special or something? or is this another fob thing?

Comments

• What's fob mean?

Father Peter
  • [quote author=peterfarrington link=topic=9541.msg117509#msg117509 date=1281044107]
    What's fob mean?

Father Peter

fob = fresh of the boat......just came from egypt
  • Lol!

Well it's hardly fresh off the boat.

I am very surprised to find even one Copt who does not know about the St Mary's fast.

Seriously I am very surprised.

(I did think fob might mean 'Fish or Beans')

Father Peter
  • well.....let me elaborate more about what i was taught and seen about this fast.

Everyone knows saint Mary and love her enough. So this fast is very special. the church puts it as a "3rd degree fast" because the Church gives the believers the choice to fast id more strict ways then the main fast rule (the 2nd degree fast like the fast of the apostle). Let me explain. the fast is about 2 weeks, begins around 7th august. many people (more specifically Alexandrians) fast an extra week (from august first)....others fast without seafood....other fast with what we call "mayya we malh"="water and salt" meaning only eating foods with no oils. there are probably more traditions out there. despite all of these Christian traditions, many Muslims in egypt who are dear with Christian friends fast this fast as it's there own (in our way).
  • well that is very weird ...
  • [quote author=kirollos3 link=topic=9541.msg117514#msg117514 date=1281056059]
    well that is very weird ...

i don't see why!!!!
  • cause he only fasts one fast out of the whole year .. fasting is not just about food . but apparently he think so
  • [quote author=kirollos3 link=topic=9541.msg117516#msg117516 date=1281058874]
    cause he only fasts one fast out of the whole year .. fasting is not just about food . but apparently he think so

we'll than it's a problem of knowledge and faith in general with all the fasts and not only considering this one. maybe it was a must form the family that he feels that when it's broken, bad things might come.
  • true .. but remember we fast a lot during the whole year.
  • [quote author=peterfarrington link=topic=9541.msg117509#msg117509 date=1281044107]
    What's fob mean?

Father Peter

In modern times, it refers more to "fresh off the blane" (egyptian accent for "plane" as in aircraft)
  • hahahahah calling an Egyptian a fob is like calling him immigrant forgetting you or your parents were some day fobs
  • [quote author=kirollos3 link=topic=9541.msg117527#msg117527 date=1281061312]
    hahahahah calling an Egyptian a fob is like calling him immigrant forgetting you or your parents were some day fobs

hey....i been here for almost 10 yrs....havn't visited egypt since and still consider myself a fob.....i think it's more of the mentality rather than number of yrs.
  • well some people forget that .. just cause they are born here .

•   St. Mary's fast is special to those who hope in her intercession. When I am burdened heavy even to walk up straight in this world because of my sins, this is a special time for me to see myself worthy again.
      St. Gabriel said she is special and no wonder her fast is special.

In Ethiopia we love and revere St. Mary so much just like u, our dearest Egyptians.
  • Well, obviously her fast has some significance since she is the Mother of God and all.
    Also the "Nagda" (No Idea what that is in english) is one of the most joyful times in the church. (For me at-least)

Under God,
    Christ Only

P.S. Check out my signature
    :D
  • [quote author=peterfarrington link=topic=9541.msg117512#msg117512 date=1281046253]
    Lol!

Well it's hardly fresh off the boat.

I am very surprised to find even one Copt who does not know about the St Mary's fast.

Seriously I am very surprised.

(I did think fob might mean 'Fish or Beans')

Father Peter

I do know what st. Mary's fast is, but im inquisitive a about why my dad reveres it so much, as it is the only fast he actually fasts.

Its not only my dad though, many Egyptians say "you can skip any fast but st. Mary's fast"

I guess my question is should i treat this fast any differently from every other fast?

• hi user00, fresh of the blane!  :D
    u crease me up!
    i love the way father peter thought it was fish or beans, that's cute and british (of course, i'm speaking as an egyptian...)
    ;)
    btw did u guys know that indians use 'fob'? and probably also english speaking people from other countries of immigration too.

many people love saint mary, it can serve as a good conversation starter, especially with those of other faiths.
    also we can all pray for the strength to love God like she did  :)
  • Well at first I thought it was something to do with Thunderbirds.
  • we love u!  :)
    btw i think only british people over the age of 30 will have seen the series, it was a very funny tv series with annimated puppets who flew around the world in spaceships and saved lives.
  • [quote author=ChristOnly link=topic=9541.msg117549#msg117549 date=1281114339]
    Well, obviously her fast has some significance since she is the Mother of God and all.
    Also the "Nagda" (No Idea what that is in english) is one of the most joyful times in the church. (For me at-least)

it's "Nahda" literally meaning "revival"...and it's not only done for Saint Mary but generally for all the patron saint of churches. the idea is that on the feast of the patron saint of the church, the church does a service, the nahda=revival, to remind the ppl with the life of the saint and what we can learn from it. it become a revival of people's hearts.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=9541.msg117591#msg117591 date=1281174073]
    [quote author=ChristOnly link=topic=9541.msg117549#msg117549 date=1281114339]
    Well, obviously her fast has some significance since she is the Mother of God and all.

it's "Nahda" literally meaning "revival"...and it's not only done for Saint Mary but generally for all the patron saint of churches. the idea is that on the feast of the patron saint of the church, the church does a service, the nahda=revival, to remind the ppl with the life of the saint and what we can learn from it. it become a revival of people's hearts.

i was trying to figure out what nagada means .. since in arabic nagada means to save someone ..

it only a week .. and different fathers come to your church to give a speech .. it very weird . cause you get a different one every day .. where do these  come from ..