Adam

edited July 2010 in Faith Issues
Hi,

Is Adam, the first man created in the Bible, meant to signify "all of humanity" - or was it really "one man" ??

Did Adam come before Dinosaurs or after them?

Thanks.

Other than not being born with a belly button, I take it that Adam also didn't have a surname either. Right? He REALLY was the 1st man? You agree?

Comments

• Adam is one man, he was created by God. He is the father of all mankind.

I am not sure why he would not have been created without a belly button?

Father Peter
  • [quote author=peterfarrington link=topic=9513.msg117179#msg117179 date=1280334659]
    Adam is one man, he was created by God. He is the father of all mankind.

I am not sure why he would not have been created without a belly button?

Father Peter

Well, if there was no one before him, if he was created from God directly, it means he wasn't born from a woman. He didnt have a mother. Therefore, he didnt have an umbilical cord. Therefore, he didnt have a belly button, and he didnt have a surname.

So, was Adam created before or after the dinausaurs ? I mean, does the Church believe that God created man within the 6 days, or could it accept that God created a few things first, like dinausaurs etc, and then after the dust settled, he created Adam?

• [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=9513.msg117180#msg117180 date=1280335247]
    So, was Adam created before or after the dinausaurs ? I mean, does the Church believe that God created man within the 6 days, or could it accept that God created a few things first, like dinausaurs etc, and then after the dust settled, he created Adam?

may i ask, what differnce does it make?
  • Question (out of curiosity):  Does the Adam figure in the Sistine Chapel painting have a belly button?
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=9513.msg117181#msg117181 date=1280337079]
    [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=9513.msg117180#msg117180 date=1280335247]

I get these questions from a lot of people who believe in evolution. I don't know how to answer them.
  • [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=9513.msg117184#msg117184 date=1280342623]
    [quote author=minagir link=topic=9513.msg117181#msg117181 date=1280337079]
    [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=9513.msg117180#msg117180 date=1280335247]

I get these questions from a lot of people who believe in evolution. I don't know how to answer them.

will simply ask them  what are they trying to prove. how does Adam having a belly button or not or being created before or after dinosaurs change our faith, or even prove theirs?!

ya3ny not all challenges from other against our faith (or even sounding like they are of our faith) should be considered
  • I guess you need to study some books about evolution from a Christian perspective because it is not likely that a random person here will produce all the detailed information you would need to assimilate.
  • i think surnames were invented long after adam!
    i used to think (when i was a little kid) that Jesus' surname was 'Christ', so when anyone referred to Him as 'Christ' they were being impolite and they should call Him 'Mr. Christ'!
    :D
    in some parts of india today, people don't have surnames.

about the belly button, no-one knows if adam had one, but he could have had one, as it is a nice tough bit of connective tissue that connects your tummy muscles and it looks cool too! so it has other functions and is not ONLY related to having been a baby.
  • OK - my only point about knowing whether he had a surname was to be 110% sure that there was no one else before him. This is the point Im trying to understand:

There was no one before Adam - right?
  • Only God the Father.
  • You know how they say that a child needs both a father and a mother to be well balanced. Adam and Eve didnt have this. Can we consider them as "Well balanced" individuals? After all, thanks to their naughtiness they ended up getting us all into a lot of bother. (if you know what I mean!?)

If they did have parents, their parents would have at least told them "AYE! I've told you 100 times, PUT DOWN THAT FRUIT FROM THAT TREE!! It will kill ya! "

They never had that... did they?
  • That's an interesting and whimsical statement.

He had THE FATHER.

I guess Adam had Eve as a mother figure, which got him into a psychological imbalance, thereby leaving him at a weak point of consenting to eat from the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good/bad, i.e., listening to his mother.

Is that what it was?
  • lol I had a friend who said the first thing he would ask God when he died is where the dinosaurs fit in.

Just some things to think about:
    Nearly all ancient cultures have texts and references to things known as "dragons"

What exactly is this dragon?

The Bible mentions the existence of "giants" and a "leviathan" (giant sea serpent)

dragons = dinosaurs? who knows
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9513.msg117193#msg117193 date=1280349239]
    Only God the Father.

Don't you mean God (the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit)?
  • I agree that :)
  • [quote author=Godislove260 link=topic=9513.msg117197#msg117197 date=1280352279]
    [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9513.msg117193#msg117193 date=1280349239]
    Only God the Father.

Don't you mean God (the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit)?

well both are right in a way....It's always better to think of the Trinity work as this: the Father will, the Son does, the Spirit confirms/sanctifies
  • God is not male. both adam and eve were created in His likeness, so adam was not more like Him than eve.
    so God can take the place of our father and mother, and if you are in communion with God and walk and talk with Him, you certainly don't lack anything!

•   There are no perfect parents. Kids today are the parents tomorrow. Adam was as old as 30 years old when created and eve 15 years. They are parents themselves.
      When it comes to this evolution. If I had to ask God one question that would be about it. I just wish some fossil to be found which can crumble the whole theory. Or some saint sent from God to tell us the truth.
      BY the way...this is a serious question which our kids will ask us in the future.

• This might be a little disgusting, but many of the church fathers speak of Adam not even defecating. He didnt have a belly button because he was not born of a womb, therefore there would be no need for an umbilical cord.
  • Personally I think that Adam did have a tummy button.

The reason is that I believe that all creation had an inbuilt history. When God created a tree it looked exactly like a mature tree, eve though it was 5 seconds old. It looked exactly like it had sprung from a seed and had the growth rings that showed the environmental conditons over the apparent life of the tree, even though it was only 5 seconds old and not 500 years old.

It is the same with Adam. Every aspect of his physiology is subject to an apparent age. He appeared to be 20-30 years old? Therefore every part of his anatomy had a built in history of growth and development even though he was only 5 seconds old. The very fact that he appeared to be 20-30 years old means that he must have appeared to have a real history of 20-30 years of human growth and development.

Therefore, personally, I believe that he did have a tummy button. Not necessarily, but as my personal opinion that it is likely.

Father Peter
  • About dinosaurs being before or after adam, if you check the Book of Genesis Chapter 1. You will notice that Man is the last thing He created. It was all preparation for the man. So i would say that dinosaurs were before Adam.
  • Poor Adam. He made a mistake that every man today knows NOT to do. Dont trust a woman. lol sorry I had to.
  • Back then they probably didn't have the same days we have today. A day back then could equal billions of years, that is probably were the dinosaurs would fit in. 
  • I was actually taught that the earth is 6 thousand years, but you never know, The seven days God created earth could've had more than 24 hours in a day, so it could be billions. LOL, this subject hurts my head.
  • [quote author=Kirolies link=topic=9513.msg117347#msg117347 date=1280712237]
    Back then they probably didn't have the same days we have today. A day back then could equal billions of years, that is probably were the dinosaurs would fit in. 

This is based on the assumption that the dating methods used by archaeologists are 100% accurate. Both the MT and Septuagint show that each day was a literal 24 hour day, not billions of years. Do not compromise these two beliefs, one is evil.

The reason God created all things in the timeframe that He did was to give us structure. We still use the 7 day week. If He created it all in an instant, where would we get our structure from? That was not only the beginning of all things but the beginning of our guidance from God. The universe is not trillions of years old, the earth is not billions either. There is no evidence to support it, just some peoples interpretation of so called evidence. Same thing people do with the Bible, read it and come to their own conclusion to validate their beliefs.

Science is dead. The moment it rejected God, it began to die.
  • Ionnes, the sun was not created on the first day, therefor the solar day we use nowadays cannot have been there from the beginning...