I'm a big sack of nerveous

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
So i am a nervous person. I sweat like crazy if i have to say a response in chruch and vibrate faste than my phone (last sunday i had to do mar chasf, and almost peed halfway through.... dont worry i held it in till i finshed). 

I havent even sent in college apps yet but i am sweating bullets right now!!!!

I generally just worry about everything.... so does anyone else have this problem and how do you deal with it?

I know most of you will say Pray about it, but i have a FOC to tell me that... lets get practical!!!

I NEED SOME MEDS!!!!

In christ,

Abanoub

Comments

• Think in terms of the big picture, why exactly are you nervous about these things? Find the root of why you are being nervous. When it comes to church responses why are you nervous? Are you afraid to mess up in front of people? If so, why? You are praying to God not to the people, if you mess up who cares? Make sure you know things well enough before you step up to say them. The fact is you will inevitably mess certain things up in life/responses in church/etc. The key is to pick yourself up and move forward. Don't let fear cripple you. Don't worry about college apps, you worrying about them is not going to get you in. Have faith that God will direct your path and that you will succeed in what you do through His Grace.

God Bless and Pray for me and my weakness
  • [quote author=abanoub2000 link=topic=9504.msg117081#msg117081 date=1280196213]
    So i am a nervous person. I sweat like crazy if i have to say a response in chruch and vibrate faste than my phone (last sunday i had to do mar chasf, and almost peed halfway through.... dont worry i held it in till i finshed). 

I generally just worry about everything.... so does anyone else have this problem and how do you deal with it?

I know most of you will say Pray about it, but i have a FOC to tell me that... lets get practical!!!

I NEED SOME MEDS!!!!

I think you just need to get used to it......not worry about what you say/sing or even consider what ppl might think. i find leading liturgies alone or with less ppl (in a big-sized church if possible) good ofr you to be confident in saying response and hymns.
  • Random fact: worrying is a sin!

Anyway, I know how you feel. I have a tendency to worry often as well. I have spoken about it with abouna a lot and have concluded that the root of fear and worrying is from the lack of faith and trust in God. If I trust God enough with my future for example I wouldn't worry about it. I would be able to leave it all in His hands after I have done my part. Lets go a bit to extremes, when saints were faced with vicious animal and wild beasts in the desert all they did was do the sign of the cross and pray and the animal became tamed and did no harm to them. Now if I see a spider (not a lion or a tiger), you will sure find me on the other side of the room...  :D
    Soooo... my point is that they had so much trust in God that even things that are marked as dangerous didn't worry or scare them because they trusted God to protect them even to that extent. It definitely takes practice. Something I try to do when I find myself fearful or worried about something is to just step back from the situation and kinda try to take all the emotion behind it out and think about it practically. Practically in the sense that I get my facts straight and regardless of uncertainty in the situation regardless of what it is I try to push myself to make a decision(yes it is a decision!) to not be worried. For example, you mentioned college applications (just finished them, so feeling your pain! ;)) Do your part by doing the research about what is the best program that suites you and apply to the colleges and complete the application to the best of your ability. After that, nothing is in your hand and worrying about it will get you no where but give you a nervous break down. On a side note, if you don't get into the school of your choice, thank God. He has a master plan prepared for you and keep in mind that the Bitter God chooses for you is better than the sweet you chose for yourself. There is nothing to worry about and in due time you will see the bright side of it and be VERY happy with it. Rabena ma3aak! :)

Please keep me in your prayers
  • [quote author=✞Stavroforos✞ link=topic=9504.msg117088#msg117088 date=1280204174]
    Random fact: worrying is a sin!

i think i might have some problems with believing that.......worrying is a feeling; a tendency we get like many others......they on there own are not considered sins but rather the actions taken based on them is what brings sin. as anger for example. Saint Paul says get angry but don't act on that anger and sin.

Fear, sometimes comes with worrying, of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding. (Proverbs 9:10)It is needed for us to reach the maximum wisdom level we, as unique individuals, need to get to to be with GOD and to understand Him. Worrying, fearing and even doubting can be the first step to knowing more about our goal....... GOD!!!

If we know everything about God, then why live with him. If we know all the rules and just abide with them just for the sake of them being our only connection to GOD....then why did God Himself became incarnate to take that connection into the highest level--Him being a human and us being born (not begotten) of HIM. For us to reach that understanding we need something to push us there....take us to some turns that reveal more to us keep our minds set on the goal.

worrying and doubting, when dealt with in the right way, keeps GOD alive in our mind and not only His laws. we come closest to GOd when we are in need for Him. Likewise, worrying and doubting gives us an incentive/a need to try to learn more about God and know Him better.
  • Take a look at this: http://www.suscopts.org/q&a/index.php?qid=858&catid=481
    Within the context of my post I was using worrying and fear rather synonymously. Also, within the context of my post I was referring to worrying/fear in general about aspects in life, not about our relationship with God. ie: school, marriage, monasticism, kids etc I guess I am a bit more focused on irrational fears in which there is nothing in our hands that we can do, but worried nonetheless. I agree with you that fear and worry has a sense of necessity in our relationship with God in regards to obeying the commandments and such. I am sorry, I hope I am getting my point across..I don't know if I am making sense. Please let me know... Please correct me for my benefit and the benefit of others.

• There is a famous saying by Pope Kyrillos that says:

In Arabic: kon motma2enan gedan gedan wa la tofaker fel2amr katheeran, bal da3y el2amr leman beyadaho el2amr.

In English: Be really really confident and don't think about ur problems often, but let the one who controls it, fix it. 

I'm sorry, Im not that good at translating! Anyways, I hope this saying by Pope Kyrillos helps ur situation.

GBU
  • [quote author=abanoub2000 link=topic=9504.msg117081#msg117081 date=1280196213]

I NEED SOME MEDS!!!!

In christ,

Abanoub

You want a practical answer? Go to Busch Gardens and ride the Griffin. It'll make all your fears/worries go away. Guaranteed!
    I used to be a nervous freak myself, but for some reason, roller coasters (high, fast ones that give you a heart attack just looking at them) seem to do the trick! You'll be like 'sing mar chasf.. psh dude I RODE THE GRIFFIN, i aint scared-a nuthin!!' That's the logic of how it works. Then soon you'll build up your strength and want to do crazy stuff like go sky diving (which im doing in a few months ;D)

Good luck!!  :D
  • TITL... dude we only have six flags here :(

and your crazy!
  • dude, don't worry about messing up in our church... half of our congregation dosn't even know how to say "kiryalayson" lol.

plus, like jydeacon said. you are praying to God, not the people, so as long as you pray with your heart and not just your voice, God won't hear a difference between you or even Mac Daddy!!

As for things in life that you worry about, chill dude. The reason you worry is because you are trying to take things into your own hands and trying to do things yourself. Give it all up to God bro. Make it HIS problem, not yours. He will deal with it for you and make things go smoothly according to his plan.

"For I, the Lord your God, will hold your right hand, Saying to you, 'Fear not, I will help you.'" - Isaiah 41: 13

God Bless,
    7abibek
  • chris.... that post probably confused everybody who read it lol

whats a mac daddy? lol
  • don't act like you don't know mac daddy! or maybe you call him big mac like mike does haha.

(for everyone else, Mac Daddy/ Big Mac is what we call our head deacon, his name is Uncle Makary)

In Christ,
    Chris