Would this be considered gambling

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Some time me and my friends bet on things. For example we would say whoever wins gets two favors from the other person. Or whoever loses more weight in a given time period, the other person will buy the winner a present. Would those things be considered as gambling? would it be considered as a sin?

Comments

• i dont think so.  Gambling is a chance in playing in order to get money.  Its like playing on the slot machines or play poker, etc.  However, it just a friendly game, not something serious that results as a consequence. 

Pray for me
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • i think you should ask your father of confession because he might have a different opinion. also because im not sure, if you get an answer please post it so we can all benefit.
  • My opinion, it is not gambling if you are doing something competitive that is not just a matter of chance.

If you were competing with a friend, or some friends, to see who could lose the most weight then that is not gambling, and the reward which you all decided on would be justified by the effort that the winner would have to put in.

Likewise if a few of you were training for a marathon or something like that and you agreed that the winner would have a meal paid for by the others then that is not gambling, and is a reward for effort.

Gambling is when there is no effort, just chance. If you were throwing a dice or a coin and making guesses about the outcome then that would be gambling if you were exchanging money. But if you are putting in some effort, and what you are competing over is a matter of your own skill and experience, then it is not gambling, it is competing.

It is often very helpful to have some goal, some reward in view, when we are in training, or making an effort in something that needs perseverance. This is not gambling.

Father Peter
  • what if I concentrated REALLY hard and predicted the winning numbers of the lottery based on previous draws and working out the next most likely numbers? Surely if I won, that would be hard earned money? No?

The way I see it, investing in the stock market is like the lottery. There's no certainty of anything, and it ultimately boils down to chance anyway.

What do u think??
  • good point.
    this is why i don't invest in the stock market  ;)