God's Involvement

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I was watching an Egyptian soccer match yesterday, where the players would thank God, by bowing down after they scored.

Which got me wondering, do we really believe that God is involved in such trivial things; things that have nothing to do with spirituality?  I remember hearing a priest relay the story of a man, who kept asking the priest to seek God's guidance in helping him choose a car.  From the way the priest spoke, I got the feeling that God really doesn't care whether you buy the Honda Accord or the Civic.

Comments

• Well, we know we must thank God "in every occasion, in every condition, and for all things" (Thanksgiving prayer).
  • There is only one [glow=red,2,300]God[/glow] and only one religion given from the one [glow=red,2,300]God[/glow].  There are many different faithes but they all don't lead oneself to eternal life.  Only the right faith within the right religion does.  To find out which one is the right faith, I will let you read the book of Isaiah where it says, ... stand on the cross road and ask which one is the oldest road and go on that path.... ( I might not have quoted the verse exactly but you get the idea.  If you want mor info read the Holy Bible)

Pray for me the sinner     
  • lol one time my mom and I were shopping for a jacket and we found a perfect one that was exactly the right size, looked great, and was on sale for really cheap. She thanked God for bringing it to us and I questioned her why would God care about something as stupid as this.
    I guess if you think about it, the majority of what we ask God is something that would seem trivial with respect to God. "Oh God please help me on my exam" "Oh God please help me find a good spouse" But I guess that just goes to show how great God's love is - He is willing to pay attention to our stupidest concerns and worries. If it is something that is on your mind, God always hears regardless of how seemingly unimportant your concern is. And when God helps us in these small matters, it makes us grow closer to Him and glorify Him more and more.
    Overall, I think it's more important to thank God rather than to ask Him to help you - especially since God knows even your smallest concerns, so you don't need to worry about asking Him because He's already gotten it taken care of.
  • i was actually watching that game and actually even after one guy missed a penalty kick, he bowed down and started praying... and they got a clip of him with his head on the ground and his lips moving
  • Well if you want proof that God is so intimately involved and cares about such trivial things, one just needs to read the Gospel of St. Luke. Jesus says, "But even the hair of your head are numbered" (Luke 12:7).
  • What if someone is loosing their hair?
  • God know how much hair they lost!
    but to get back to the topic, prayer is also about accepting God's will. sometimes loosing at sport will teach us important lessons about life, so God wants us to loose.

i personally don't agonise about whether to wear a green shirt or a red one, but what i think God wants us to learn is not to be vain, to dress modestly, and to look respectable (wash etc), so in a way we should pray when getting dressed, but more about whether God is glorified in our lives than what sort of socks to wear.
  • Mabsoota,

Well-spoken
  • We have to accept God's involvement in everything, if we do not we are saying he is not always there.

We thank him "for all things and in all things", no matter how many times I have seen my favourite team relegated or Bankrupt, I have to accept that whether I wanted it or not, it is Gods will. And Who am I to question or go against that?
  • I am REALLY surprised to have this question come up in an Orthodox Forum.

I was watching a protestant TV show for kids, and there was a scene where 2 teams were playing a game of baseball against each other. The supporters on the bench were praying for their team to win. Of course, being an American production, the side that prayed won.

But this is wrong.

Christ could see that we'd be praying for stuff like this and taught us to say "LET YOUR WILL BE DONE".

This is how the Orthodox pray in our spirituality. We ask for God's will. We do our best, we offer what we have, and we ask that His will is done.

Example 1: So, let's say we have TWO baseball teams. Both of them are Christian. Both of their supporters are praying that THEIR TEAM win. Who does God listen to??
    Example 2: You like a girl and you want to marry her. Another Christian likes the SAME girl and he wants to marry her. They both pray to marry that girl. Who does God listen to?
    Example 3: You like a job, and another Christian wants the SAME job. You BOTH pray for the same job. Who does God listen to?

Do you pray that your Christian brother has the job and not you?
    Do you pray that your Christian brother marries the girl you like and not you?
    Do you pray that your Christian fellow team win the match and not you?

Christ sorted all this out by telling us , WHEN YOU PRAY SAY "MAY YOUR WILL BE DONE!!!!!!"

So, let's say I like a girl, and I would like to marry her

Here is what the Orthodox Church teaches you to say:

"Lord, I am interested in marrying this girl, but I do not know if it is right for me not. Let your will be done. "

So, we are NOT anxious for anything. We are not desperate for anything, and we do not worry for anything. This is the Orthodox Christian.

The same prayer applies to anything. ANYTHING and EVERYTHING!

God allows His sun to shine on the wicked and the good. BOTH OF THEM. The rain falls down on both the good person and the wicked person. The SAME rain. The same sun lights the way for both the good person and the bad the person. God is not biased; and yet this mentality (of making God execute your will) is so wrong, you are MAKING God biased.

What did you want God to say :"SURE! I'll let your team win because you have prayed the most, even though the other team, they may not have prayed the hardest, but they worked the hardest".
    What??

I find protestants EXTREMELY self righteous in their spirituality, and that's why I prefer the Orthodoxy. We don't teach kids this.

Someone is sick and you want to pray that they get better: pray and say: Lord, if it is YOUR will, please heal this person. Let YOUR will be done. Do not insist.

I myself know a story where someone INSISTED and prayed SO MUCH for someone to recover from a severe illness. It was a near death situation. He prayed, he fasted, and he INSISTED on his own will. As noble as it may seem; God listened and the person was healed.

That man lived a long life to only make disasterous sins he never confessed nor repented for. He died later on leaving a trail of destruction around him. God have mercy on him.

What is wrong with death if its God's will?
    What is wrong with failure if it is God's will?
    What is wrong with not marrying the girl you are interested in if it is God's will???

We act as if God knows what is best for us, yet when it comes to the crunch, we still treat him like a magician without ANY BRAINS. This is the protestant Church... and i hate it for that.

Look at our wise mother: Saint Mary: She saw there was a problem in a wedding: they had no more wine. She told our Lord the problem. She didnt tell Him what to do , or how to do it. She didnt explain to Him what she would like. She just presented him the problem and she let Him deal with it.

I feel with protestants, and I'll say it again, they have NO spirituality. I AM SORRY IF THAT OFFENDS ANYONE.. but this is the prime example of feel good psychology that I see so often in the Protestant Churches. Where then is God's will? Where then is the humility and TRUST God is looking for in us when we seek His support. I do not wish my children NOR anyone to learn spirituality from them. To go and pray to win in a match! That is like saying you want God to hate the other team. What is that?? Why drag God into your banal desires??? Where is His will in your life and the submission to that Will???

What makes you think that you know what is right for you MORE than God who can see your future, and can see that of those around you???

• i agree with yr ideas about prayer.
    but God does not ask us to hate anyone.
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=9337.msg115479#msg115479 date=1276514516]
    i agree with yr ideas about prayer.
    but God does not ask us to hate anyone.

Of course God does not ask us to hate anyone. But if I pray that I get a job, then I'm praying that someone else doesn't get it. Perhaps God loves the other person the same as me?? Who should God listen to? So, if I pray and INSIST that I get a job, or a wife, or win a match, I'm praying that someone else doesnt get that same girl, that same job, or win in the match.

God has given us resources and we should use them; but when it comes to involving God in our lives, we need to ask for His Will. We should state what we are doing (trying to achieve), and ask God to bless our efforts, and guide us by His will. That's it.

I do not see any of these spiritual attributes in protestantism. I just see self righteousness.
  • Whoever gets the job is God's will. The person is not going to get the job because God favors them more it is simply His will. It may be a bad influence on that person so God will not give him the job, but the other person is stronger and will not fold to the influencing ways and will help them realize their mistakes and bring them to God. Obviously, that is the right person to get the job.

It is GOD's  will. We do not know it and most likely we might not understand it, but rather we should trust God in all things.
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=9337.msg115485#msg115485 date=1276533269]
    Whoever gets the job is God's will. The person is not going to get the job because God favors them more it is simply His will. It may be a bad influence on that person so God will not give him the job, but the other person is stronger and will not fold to the influencing ways and will help them realize their mistakes and bring them to God. Obviously, that is the right person to get the job.

It is GOD's  will. We do not know it and most likely we might not understand it, but rather we should trust God in all things.

What I mean is this: we need to include God's will in it.

Do you guys know the story of Mr Ford? The guy that invented the 1st mass produced car? After a few cars were produced, they asked him "what color do you want us to paint them".

He said: "Paint them any color you want so long as its black".

Do we do the same with God? Are we telling Him the same thing: "Lord, let your will be done, so long as I get what I want?". ?