Apostles Fast

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hey guys hope your all exxcited for PENTECOST!!! ;D

So I was just wondering, Why do we fast the apostles fast? and why does it vary in length every year?

Comments

• The length of the fast varies from year to year, because the date of the Resurrection changes. The apostles feast is a set date(12th of July) so if Pentecost comes early then we fast until then. The apostles fast if I am not mistaken is actually the oldest fast, because Christ said, "You cannot fast while the bridegroom is with you" so the apostles never fasted while Christ was with them, but after He ascended they would fast. I'm no expert on this subject, just a few things I have heard.
  • Where did the idea of that the fast is only for Abouna and his wife come from?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [quote author=DimyanCoptic link=topic=9265.msg114704#msg114704 date=1274646328]
    I actually just learned that today (the varying part) :D

I apologize for not giving a well put together answer, but i remember that in the bible He says somewhere "I am with you, so do not fast, but when i leave to my father, you shall fast" or something pertaining to that.

Pray for me.

Is that the Bridegrroom quote you mean Dimyan?
    Mark 2:18-20
    2:18 Now John’s disciples and the Pharisees were fasting. So they came to Jesus and said, “Why do the disciples of John and the disciples of the Pharisees fast, but your disciples don’t fast?” 2:19  Jesus said to them, “The wedding guests cannot fast while the bridegroom is with them, can they? As long as they have the bridegroom with them they do not fast. 2:20 But the days are coming when the bridegroom will be taken from them, and at that time they will fast.

So after Christ asceds into Heaven we fast again, after 50 days without it.
  • hi all, hope u also had a great feast of pentecost, and may the blessings of the fast be with you. i think that is the right quote, danie m.

the idea of the fast being just for the priest and his wife is a saying among churches where the people find that fasting is too much like hard work, so they decide to give this one a miss. i heard a priest explaining that.
    actually his family are lovely people and they fast a lot, so i think there's a connection there  ;)
    it's just meat and dairy products we are fasting from, you can still have fish and prawns etc.. except wednesdays and fridays when it's vegan. and unless yr allergic to prawns!  ;)
    as usual, fasting should be undertaken as part of a spiritual 'diet' overseen by your confession father, so people who are weak/ill etc.. fast less, and also your spiritual father should ensure your fast is part of your spiritual life with God, so that you grow and develop spiritually, by Bible study, prayer, good deeds and taking Holy Communion.

may God guide us as we look for a deeper relationship with Him  :)
  • In the Name of the Father+ and of the Son+ and of the Holy Spirit+, the One True God. Amen.

Basically, we fast because the Lord fasted and said that we should and would be fasting: "when you fast..." Fasting prepares us for special events and special manifestation of God's grace - which is why we fast before the Feasts! In this case the Apostles' Fast is a spiritual preparation that comes before the remembrance of the martyrdom of Sts Peter and Paul in Rome (June 29th).
    The Early Church fasted in response to the example and teaching of the Lord Jesus Christ. The Eastern Church observes fasting periods based on the writings of Isaiah 58:6-7, 1st Corinthians 7:5, Matthew 17:21 and Joel 2:12.

Hope this helps!
  • If I am not mistaken Apostles Fast is the fast the Apostles fasted after receiving the Holy Spirit and prior to going on their missions. We are told specifically in Acts that the apostles fasted and placed their hands on Paul and Barnabas before sending them on their missions.

In Christ
    Theopilus
  • Hey guys

I posted something on my blog this a while back

I think it answers this q

http://stnoufer.wordpress.com/2010/05/24/why-the-apostles-fast/

bish
    www.stnoufer.wordpress.com