Facts

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
Hello everyone,

Recently, i when i was in the library at my school, there was a Holy Bible on one of the tables and this boy said something like Yuck- God doesn't belong in schools.
Then i said Actually, God belongs everywhere and is everywhere.
We got in a little argument and he said if God exist show me the evidence and i was like there is plenty of evidence.
But i wasn't able to address them since i don't know them well. If any of you guys ever had this problem or know anything i can do to PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me out and inform me.

Thanks an ignorant sinner

May God Bless you

Comments

• Wow, This is an amazing point.

Good job Youstina.
  • [quote author=Thanks be to God Always link=topic=9257.msg114651#msg114651 date=1274477826]
    Hello everyone,

Recently, i when i was in the library at my school, there was a Holy Bible on one of the tables and this boy said something like Yuck- God doesn't belong in schools.
    Then i said Actually, God belongs everywhere and is everywhere.
    We got in a little argument and he said if God exist show me the evidence and i was like there is plenty of evidence.
    But i wasn't able to address them since i don't know them well. If any of you guys ever had this problem or know anything i can do to PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me out and inform me.

Thanks an ignorant sinner

May God Bless you

This isnt a question about whether God exists or not, or evolution. This is a question about secularism.

"God should not belong in schools".

There is a powerful movement trying to strip God from all or every aspect of western life and culture.

The answer is not to go and tell others that God exists, and prove to them that atheism is unfounded, but rather to send your children to a Catholic School, or to a country where no one will remove a Crucifix from class or a Bible from the Library.

This is not a problem whose answer lies in responding to atheism. This is a problem about national identity, and people accepting their judeo-Christian roots as the founding religion of their democracies.

• this is a good article
    http://www.suscopts.org/messages/lectures/theologylecture2.pdf
    i remember reading another one but i cant find it =[
    but the proof that god exists is everywhere. The trees, the whole earth..and its creation
    PROVES that there is indeed a God!
  • From a parent's point of view, I would agree with Zoxasi. But what is a student to do?

I reckon "The Case for a Creator" by Lee Strobel is both an entertaining and enlightening read, and is quite readable.
  • [quote author=yousiegtennis link=topic=9257.msg114673#msg114673 date=1274546178]
    [quote author=Zoxsasi link=topic=9257.msg114665#msg114665 date=1274525528]
    The answer is not to go and tell others that God exists, and prove to them that atheism is unfounded, but rather to send your children to a Catholic School, or to a country where no one will remove a Crucifix from class or a Bible from the Library.

Zoxsasi,
    not everyone can afford to send their kids to a Catholic school.  i know i will get attacked for this, but i actually think it's good that religion is not allowed in schools.  this is great because that gives everyone the freedom to worship as they please and does not allow any one religion to control the school.  i wouldn't want anyone to impose their religion on me and i certainly wouldn't do that.  yes, i believe that Orthodox Christianity is the one true religion; however, everyone is entitled to their opinions and their views.

pray for me.

you make me proud Yousie! :)
  • If there were Orthodox schools in major towns and cities would it be better to send our children there, or to send them to secular schools? What if there were free Catholic schools in major towns and cities, as there are in the UK, is it better to send our children there or to secular schools?

I don't know? My own youngest child goes to a Church of England school (for ages 5 to 10) but he will probably go to a secular secondary school, though I could probably get him into the local Catholic school. I am not sure that the Catholic school provides a wholly spiritual environment simply because of the nature of society at present. But it provides a more spiritual environment than the secular schools, but some of the secular schools have a very high academic quality and seek to maintain discipline and instill civic values.

It is never clear what to do.

Our new government hopes to allow groups to set up their own schools with state funding, so it would be relatively easy to set up Orthodox schools, especially in major cities with larger populations of Oriental Orthodox. But I am not sure people will actually do it.

Father Peter
  • this topic was discussed a lot between my parents and their friends when i was a child. i remember it very well. there was no Christian school near us, but i asked my parents not to send me to a Christian school if one was built (i was about 11 or 12) because i thought it was very important for those who were not Christians to have Christians around them.
    Jesus taught us to be in the world, not of it, and i think this means we should aim to work and study in places where we have people around us who do not know God (ok, if you're studying to be a priest i realise that may be hard!) so that we can shine our light in this dark world.

i should add that i was bullied at school, the reason i wanted to stay was not because i enjoyed it but that i recognised that it was normal for a Christian to face opposition and troubles.
    it is, in fact, a great honour to suffer along with our brothers and fathers in the faith, people like saint john the baptist, saint stephen, saint demiana, saint abanoub etc. Jesus said 'blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted'. let us look for the comfort of the Holy Spirit, not for material comfort, as we identify with our fathers the apostles in this fast.
  • I understand your point masboota, but, clearly some kids are prone more than others to the seduction of materialist and secular thinking. This acquired mindset has far reaching consequences, and I think it has led to the demise of Western Christianity. That childlike Christianity has been repudiated for adult atheism and various plouralistic, relativistic philosophies, because Christians were too exposed to variation before they were set in having a mature understanding (and experience) of Christianity.

Whilst I would like to think that some strong Christians are in public schools, and making an influence, many (including my young self), may have been better served to be brought up with a consistent environment, so that I would have developed some characteristics and firm morals before my tertiary education. However, sometimes it is good for Christians to be exposed to non-Christians earlier, and learn to interact, as they will in the future.

hmmmm.