Coptic Orthodox Church YOUTUBE Channel

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hi,

Does anyone here feel the pressing need for our Church to be a bit more vocal in the international community?

With topics such as abortion, stem cell research, homosexuality, and the rising cases of Aids and sexual promiscuity, does anyone here think that if we had a youtube channel, we could preach or evangelise to others:

a ) Orthodox faith,
b) The importance of Orthodox Christianity
c) The Commandments of our Lord and why they are important for us.
d) Comparative Theological discussions where we can tell Evangelical Christians (especially them!) what our faith is exactly, and what the Bible says concerning issues like confession and baptism, and paedo-baptism.

The only issue is this:

Which Bishop could do this? This has to be done. - there's no question there  - we only need a bishop to record videos on certian subjects. Also, it would be wise to get H.H. POpe Shenouda's sermon's on youtube with a translation in English as subtitles underneath.

It costs next to nothing. I just don't know any bishops who could do this!! Which ones would you suggest?

Comments

• [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7594.msg99734#msg99734 date=1232821629]
    Hi,

Does anyone here feel the pressing need for our Church to be a bit more vocal in the international community?

With topics such as abortion, stem cell research, homosexuality, and the rising cases of Aids and sexual promiscuity, does anyone here think that if we had a youtube channel, we could preach or evangelise to others:

a ) Orthodox faith,
    d) Comparative Theological discussions where we can tell Evangelical Christians (especially them!) what our faith is exactly, and what the Bible says concerning issues like confession and baptism, and paedo-baptism.

The only issue is this:

Which Bishop could do this? This has to be done. - there's no question there  - we only need a bishop to record videos on certian subjects. Also, it would be wise to get H.H. POpe Shenouda's sermon's on youtube with a translation in English as subtitles underneath.

It costs next to nothing. I just don't know any bishops who could do this!! Which ones would you suggest?

well i thought we do have a channel already, 2 kaman. Aghapy we CTV. now why would bishops waste their time on YOUTUPE if the can professionally do it in our own controlled channels....also think about it, i wouldn't want to mix religious things like ours with what is on YOUTUBE!!
  • Mina,

I really feel the need to evangelise the Orthodox faith. If you don't see this need. Great.
    I was just concerned that our voice isn't heard clearly.

With respect to "youtube" - i think this is a very effective medium to use to evangelise. It is more effective than any satellite channel.

But this is fine - i mean, I'm only suggesting it as a need; if the CoC doesn't see that this is worthwhile, fine. But it concerns me deeply that we are heading for complete anarchy with no distinction between right and wrong, and the Church's voice is not being spread amongst the believers, and NON-Believers also.

I don't think non believers will have CTV or Aghapy TV satellite connection. Will they?

So, with a youtube channel, at least we can take a sermon and send the link out to someone to support the point of view of the Church in ethical and spiritual matters.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7594.msg99737#msg99737 date=1232832884]
    Mina,

I really feel the need to evangelise the Orthodox faith. If you don't see this need. Great.
    I was just concerned that our voice isn't heard clearly.

With respect to "youtube" - i think this is a very effective medium to use to evangelise. It is more effective than any satellite channel.

But this is fine - i mean, I'm only suggesting it as a need; if the CoC doesn't see that this is worthwhile, fine. But it concerns me deeply that we are heading for complete anarchy with no distinction between right and wrong, and the Church's voice is not being spread amongst the believers, and NON-Believers also.

I don't think non believers will have CTV or Aghapy TV satellite connection. Will they?

So, with a youtube channel, at least we can take a sermon and send the link out to someone to support the point of view of the Church in ethical and spiritual matters.

well it's not that i have problems with evangelizing, i just think we need to deal with what we have, our own people INSIDE the Church first and worry about the outside.
  • Yes, even for our own benefit.
    I think we should have a CoC Youtube channel. You know, my arabic isnt that great for me to understand CTV, and H.H's sermons are all in arabic. It would be good if someone could translate them and put them on youtube - for us (the Coptic Church)... and no doubt, this will be used for others. But by having a satellite TV station, although this is brilliant, not everyone has satellite TV - yet we all have Broadband internet access nowadays.

Also, in my personal opinion, its really good to have it on Youtube because we can have a storage of past sermons we can go to.

The Roman Catholic Church has already started its own youtube channel where His Holiness Pope Benedict will have his own "outreach" channel. I'm not suggesting that we have one because they have one, but rather, I am truly concerned that the Pope OR bishop would be the best persons to answer ethical issues, and it would be beneficial for us, as well as others, to have it on youtube.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=7594.msg99734#msg99734 date=1232821629]
    Hi,

a ) Orthodox faith,

The only issue is this:

Yes! I also feel the pressing need for our Church to be much more vocal in the international community!
    Let's bombard the airways with stories and songs of righteousness! Let's spread GODS glorious teachings all over the earth!
    Why not??! The Devil bombards us daily with his evil propaganda! Lets fight back with righteous works!!!
    I'm thinking of something to put on youtube now!

Is a Bishop the same as an Abouna? If so I think Fr. Isaac El Anthony will help us - He is an Abouna.

Today I watched the Saint movie about St. Demiana and the 40 Virgins - It was very touching and had an intro by H.H Pope Shenouda. It was subtitled and the Pope encouraged and praised the production of movies like these.

There is a lot of our Church information on youtube, but much of it is not translated into English.

Blessed Be Our GOD
  • THanks for your input.

• I am willing to help out with this service... Just tell me what I need to do and I'm taht amrak(except with getting you a bishop.... Other than that I can organize the videos add taraneem etc.)

God bless you, this is truely a wonderful idea!!
  • [quote author=Eleison nai nan link=topic=7594.msg99743#msg99743 date=1232915880]
    I am willing to help out with this service... Just tell me what I need to do and I'm taht amrak(except with getting you a bishop.... Other than that I can organize the videos add taraneem etc.)

God bless you, this is truely a wonderful idea!!

Thanks. I'll let you know.
  • Att Mins and Others

I will be very fast in my responce

• - We Need Charismatic Revival and Renewal for the building up of the church [Acts 1:8]
      - We Need a radical evagelisation in the church First to be filled with the spirit then to Go to the World
      - We Need an open heart to reach this generation - By All Means like 1 youtube, 2 internet, youth rallies, conferences, outreaching and alot of other things for instance the Catholics have done a thing called world youth day and the pentecostals do evagelisation etc we need the voice of our church to be heard to
          kind regards Ps. Gilberto 

• Hey Pastor Gilberto

I think this is a wonderful cause, i was having this discussion with the servants at church and we have begun using the blogging world to get our message across.

I refer you to the two blogs we have already started

1. www.stnoufer.wordpress.com - Focusing on the treasures found in coptic orthodoxy - Blog started in March

2. www.danielayad.wordpress.com - Focusing on science & biblical truth from a coptic perspective - Blog Started in May

By the grace of God, these two blogs have taken off with many hits daily and certain discussion on different issues.

I would love to help out in anyway!

Bish
  • Pastor Gilberto,

We do not need a charismatic renewal. This is not Orthodox at all. The grace of God is already poured out in full upon the Church.

What is needed is for each one of us to be continually renewed in the sacramental life of the Church, in prayer, in spiritual practices and in service of God and others.

The pentecostal and charismatic movements may have the appearance of great excitement and energy, but it is man-made, even when the desire for God is real. I have been there and I speak from experience. It has the promise of divine power but lacks the reality.

Our own Orthodox Faith offers us divine grace in humility and simplicity. It may not have the excitement which many modern people crave, but it has the transforming power.

I urge all faithful Orthodox to avoid those places which promote charismatic renewal and pentecostalism. Not because I think those protestants involved are terrible people, far from it. But because it is error, it is far from being Orthodox, and it will lead those Orthodox who participate away from the Church, from God's grace and from salvation.

Father Peter
  • Hey Fr Peter

I may be wrong, however i think pastor gilberto was talking more about getting our message across to people in the world.

Our Treasures, Beliefs, Culture etc

I Stand to be corrected though.

Bish
    www.stnoufer.wordpress.com
  • He may wish to explain himself, but he said that we needed a charismatic revival.

We do not.

And I am not sure that he is a Copt.

But if he is able to explain what he meant then that would be good.

Father Peter

[Actually it looks like he is an Adventist pastor from Sydney who has just created an account to add that message]
  • I most certainly agree with Father Peter on this issue.

A Charismatic revival just brings images of personality cults and evangelical groups to mind, especially since that is what they tend to lead to.
    The Orthodox Church values being humble with your lot from God, such great people as the desert fathers show this, we did not see Saint Antony running about announcing what the Lord had done for him. He knew that God works in the world today, and had no need to be boastful about his importance to God. This is an example to us all.

Also, I also believe that Pastor Gilberto seems to proclaim this need on other websites (I googled his email). Whether he is Orthodox or not, the need for a Charismatic movement is non existant.

The idea of a youtube channel is good, as it is sending out OUR message to the world. This would mean there is no need to alter it, change it or soften it in any way. His Eminence Abba Seraphim from the British Orthodox Church has recently created a Youtube site and it seems to have been noticed and attracted people to enquiring about Orthodoxy. Maybe if there was one representing the Coptic church as a whole, it would work with the small Coptic youtube channels to spread the message.
  • [quote author=peterfarrington link=topic=7594.msg114611#msg114611 date=1274422946]

What is needed is for each one of us to be continually renewed in the sacramental life of the Church, in prayer, in spiritual practices and in service of God and others.

The pentecostal and charismatic movements may have the appearance of great excitement and energy, but it is man-made, even when the desire for God is real. I have been there and I speak from experience. It has the promise of divine power but lacks the reality.

Our own Orthodox Faith offers us divine grace in humility and simplicity. It may not have the excitement which many modern people crave, but it has the transforming power.

I urge all faithful Orthodox to avoid those places which promote charismatic renewal and pentecostalism. Not because I think those protestants involved are terrible people, far from it. But because it is error, it is far from being Orthodox, and it will lead those Orthodox who participate away from the Church, from God's grace and from salvation.

Father Peter

MANY MANY MANY THANKS FATHER PETER!!!

God Bless you, and keep you for us.
  • I don't know about charismatic movements, but I don't see the harm in having a youtube channel for coptics. We can have hymns, songs, sermons in english and arabic, and just youth targeted material that is readily available for everyone (coptic and non-coptic) to be able to view. I agree that many don't have ctv and aghaby, and therefore lose out on some of the opportunities to learn and be enriched with God's word.
    And it can't hurt for God's word to be available for christians and non-christians to be able to explore and enjoy.