Gregory of Cappadocia (339–346)

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hi,

I just had a look on Wikipedia, and apparently St Gregory of Cappadocia was our Pope and was heretical!!!??

This is what it says:

Gregory of Cappadocia (339–346), Arian Patriarch, not accepted by the adherents of the Nicene creed (and thus not counted by Oriental Orthodox, Eastern Orthodox or Catholic lineages).

What happened? Was he a Pope of our Church or not??

This is remarkable as just before him was Saint Athanasius the Apostolic, the 20th Pope and the See of Saint Mark.

Comments

• Oh Im so sorry, It makes PERFECT sense now.

Its quite obvious really.

Look at what happened:

19) Alexander I (313-326) First ecumenical Council occurred
    vacant (326-328)
    20) Athanasius I (328-373, 328-339) Served as a Deacon for the First Council; became Pope of Alexandria
    Gregory of Cappadocia (339-346), Arian Patriarch, not accepted by the adherents of the Nicene creed (and thus not counted by Oriental Orthodox, Eastern Orthodox or Catholic lineages).
    Athanasius I (restored) (346-373)

So, basically - St Athanasious was our Pope. Then St Athanasious was thrown into exile over Arianism.. then when arianism was proved to be heretical, he was re-instated.

Phew!!
  • Hang on a second!!

Before you all get too comfy!!!!

So, Athanasious was sent to exile, but it means that the pope that replaced him was still heretical??

Who instated a heretical Pope in our Church??

What happened? How could that happen?

Our pope was in exile (with Sadat), and no one would DREAM of replacing him. How could they do that to Saint Athanasious the Apostolic!???
  • by the way Zoxasi

DON"T TRUST WIKIPEDIA

it's a very bad site, my little cousin who is 4 years old edited an article on brain surgery, that's how bad wikipedia is, anybody can just change the article
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=9235.msg114418#msg114418 date=1273877176]
    by the way Zoxasi

DON"T TRUST WIKIPEDIA

it's a very bad site, my little cousin who is 4 years old edited an article on brain surgery, that's how bad wikipedia is, anybody can just change the article

Yeah, I know, but its everywhere.

I read that article on brainsurgery by the way!! I tried it out on myself and its really improved my typing speed, so not everything on wiki is so bad even if its written by a 4 year old.

OK.. seriously, its everywhere.. its on Coptic sites also - I just want to know how we can have a pope, instate him, exile him, instate another pope, excommunicate him, and bring back the 1st Pope we exiled. I mean, how could we have instated a heretical pope???
  • When St. Athanasius was sent into exile, the Arians (not the Church) installed Gregory of Cappadocia as Patriarch over Alexandria. This is NOT St. Gregory the Theologian or St. Gregory the Wonder Worker who were both Cappadocian.

This was simply an Arian usurper. See the excerpt from the Synaxarium for St. Athanasius' Feast Day (today) below:

"2. The Second Exile:

The Arians did not stop at that, but assembled a council, where they excommunicated Athanasius. They appointed instead someone called Gregory, and they sent their decision to Julius, Bishop of Rome. Pope Athanasius assembled a council in Alexandria in 340 A.D. where he protested against the Arians, then he wrote a letter to all the churches to declare his innocence.

However, the Arians influenced Philogorius to help to install their appointed Patriarch Gregory to take over the churches of Alexandria, and they also influenced Emperor Constantius. The people of Alexandria were horrified, and decided to resist, but the Arians attacked the churches in Alexandria on Good Friday, raped and slew many worshipers.

Pope Athanasius sought the help of all the churches in the world, left his Chair, and traveled to Rome. A council was assembled in Sardica, where they declared:
    a. The innocence of Pope Athanasius
    b. Confirmed the cannons and the Creed of faith of the Council of Nicea.
    c. They excommunicated the Arian bishops.
    d. Deposed Gregory from his office.

They delegated two bishops to meet Emperor Constans, the ruler of Italy, who agreed on what the council had decided, and threatened his brother Emperor Constantius with war if he did not return Athanasius to Alexandria. At the same time, some Egyptian radicals rose up and killed Gregory in 349 A.D. Athanasius returned for the second time to his Chair, and the people received him with joy. Gregory the Theologian, the writer of the liturgy, described this reception saying: "The people came as the flood of the Nile," and he also pointed out to the palm branches, the carpets, and the many clapping hands."

Happy Feast of Saint Athanasius and may his holy blessings be with us all. Amen.
  • [quote author=danny_iki link=topic=9235.msg114424#msg114424 date=1273899407]
    When St. Athanasius was sent into exile, the Arians (not the Church) installed Gregory of Cappadocia as Patriarch over Alexandria. This is NOT St. Gregory the Theologian or St. Gregory the Wonder Worker who were both Cappadocian.

This was simply an Arian usurper. See the excerpt from the Synaxarium for St. Athanasius' Feast Day (today) below:

"2. The Second Exile:

The Arians did not stop at that, but assembled a council, where they excommunicated Athanasius. They appointed instead someone called Gregory, and they sent their decision to Julius, Bishop of Rome. Pope Athanasius assembled a council in Alexandria in 340 A.D. where he protested against the Arians, then he wrote a letter to all the churches to declare his innocence.

However, the Arians influenced Philogorius to help to install their appointed Patriarch Gregory to take over the churches of Alexandria, and they also influenced Emperor Constantius. The people of Alexandria were horrified, and decided to resist, but the Arians attacked the churches in Alexandria on Good Friday, raped and slew many worshipers.

Pope Athanasius sought the help of all the churches in the world, left his Chair, and traveled to Rome. A council was assembled in Sardica, where they declared:
    a. The innocence of Pope Athanasius
    b. Confirmed the cannons and the Creed of faith of the Council of Nicea.
    c. They excommunicated the Arian bishops.
    d. Deposed Gregory from his office.

They delegated two bishops to meet Emperor Constans, the ruler of Italy, who agreed on what the council had decided, and threatened his brother Emperor Constantius with war if he did not return Athanasius to Alexandria. At the same time, some Egyptian radicals rose up and killed Gregory in 349 A.D. Athanasius returned for the second time to his Chair, and the people received him with joy. Gregory the Theologian, the writer of the liturgy, described this reception saying: "The people came as the flood of the Nile," and he also pointed out to the palm branches, the carpets, and the many clapping hands."

Happy Feast of Saint Athanasius and may his holy blessings be with us all. Amen.

Hello,

Many thanks for your response.

Gosh! Hollywood couldn't even make this up. Its remarkable!

So the Coptic Christians went off and killed the heretical pope?? That's good. Glad to see copts being creative and "thinking out of the box" for a change.

Yes, I was aware the Constantine had 2 sons, and they ruled the empire. It was Constantius's wife who was influenced by the Arians, and she influenced her hubby to send Athanasious into exile. But I didnt know they (the Arians) went and raped the Coptic Christians! And to add insult to injury went off and forced on us their own pope?? Remarkable.

• OH MY GOODNESS!!!!
    TODAY IS THE FEAST OF SAINT ATHANASIOUS THE APOSTOLIC!!

WOW!!!!!!!

MAY HIS BLESSINGS BE WITH US ALL AMEN!!

I JUST READ MORE ABOUT HIS STORY AND REALISED THAT HE DIED TODAY IN THE YEAR 373 AD!!!

TALK ABOUT GOOD TIMING TO ASK A QUESTION!!!

• 2 points:
    1. the patriarchs got changed because the emperor of the roman empire had too much power and used to decide who was pope.
    a bit like the king/queen of britain being in charge of the anglican church, but that's another story...
    2. i don't think it was true copts who killed the heretical 'patriarch' but some extremists who liked to kill people.
    it's NOT ok to go round killing heretics!!!

but i agree, saint athanasius was awesome  :)
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=9235.msg114446#msg114446 date=1274058254]
    2 points:
    1. the patriarchs got changed because the emperor of the roman empire had too much power and used to decide who was pope.
    a bit like the king/queen of britain being in charge of the anglican church, but that's another story...
    2. i don't think it was true copts who killed the heretical 'patriarch' but some extremists who liked to kill people.
    it's NOT ok to go round killing heretics!!!

but i agree, saint athanasius was awesome  :)

Im not entirely sure who killed this pope, but it definately wasn't the IRA.