Recent departure of a saint

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
During a recent visit to El Sourian Monastery I met Fr. Faltaous before he departed to heaven. I have known him for many years and I had some issues needed to be resolved. I was asking another monk if I could see Fr. Faltaous and out of the blue the monk I was with received a call allowing me to visit with him. How did he know I wished to see him?? He was very sick and couldn’t even talk and all he said was few words and sure enough what he said happened exactly the way he described

Few known facts about him:
1. He was the oldest monk in Wadi al-Natrun, he was born on April 1, 1922, became a monk on November 2, 1948 and departed to heaven on March 17, 2010 after a life full of valuable spiritual experience to everyone who knew him.
2. He was a hermit. I was told few stories and witness some.
3. One among few who was granted wearing El Eskiem by HH Pope Shenoda.
4. He knew the day of his departure.

Through the years I have learned the meaning of the word "unconditional love".  I do have his picture but didn’t know how to post it.

His prayers be with us. 

Comments

• I met him once a few years ago. My dad's friend (a doctor in Canada and Egypt) was a close son to him. It was difficult to get to see him initially, but my dads friend knew where to go, and the four of us (me, my brother, father and his friend) and another 5 people and two monks (among whom was the Abbot of the Monastery) went up to his cell.

His cell was tiny, damp and smelt of rotting fish. it was full of cats, and there were pots and pans scattered around the place. We came in and sat on the floor, but I tell you now, as soon as I entered I felt the peace of a spiritual environment. I was in awe of Abouna Fanous, his face was so calm and I knew I was on holy ground - where countless prayers, tears and metanoias had been performed before God. He spoke very little, and his disciple gave us all a cup of Tang (a powdered orange drink you dissolve in water) by scooping it from a pan using 3 cups, which we refilled and shared with everyone, and an old apple. We mostly sat in revered silence, while individually certain people of the group talked briefly with him. I got a few pictures with him that I'll post later. He kept his hands covered with a towel, as it is said that his hands glow with light. Then after a while, the saint fighting false pride and the reward of men said "Ana haltla3 atchamess shewaya" ("I will go up and bask in the sun for a little while") which was our cue to all say our goodbyes and leave.

May his prayers be with us and glory to God forever Amen

joe
  • Thanks for sharing.May God have mercy and grant repose to the soul of His servant.
    Let us know other hermits so that we get their blessings while they are still among us.

PS: Is Abouna Fanous the same monk by different name?

• I think you are confusing abouna faltaous with abouna fanous(which i did until i was corrected) Abouna Faltaous is a different recent saint. Abouna Fanous is still alive i believe
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=9161.msg113857#msg113857 date=1272404287]
    I think you are confusing abouna faltaous with abouna fanous(which i did until i was corrected) Abouna Faltaous is a different recent saint. Abouna Fanous is still alive i believe

no abouna fanous died last year in 2009 :(
  • [quote author=Ηεζεκιελ link=topic=9161.msg113856#msg113856 date=1272403313]
    PS: Is Abouna Fanous the same monk by different name

They are two different saints. I met both.
  • are you guys sure abouna fanous passed on?  i didn't hear of that?
  • ohh sorry, i misread the arabic.. he's still living.. sorry for the mistake :D arabic isn't that good.
  • I'm so unlucky... I was suppose to go and stay with him for a month this summer... but God wants us to meet in a different time... this monk used to receive almost daily physical beating by the devils... I do feel bad for myself not staying with him, but may he pray for us all!

neshkor Allah, akhadna el baraka