Alter Rules for Deacons

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Does anyone have a set of Alter Rules for deacons serving in the Alter, and/or Deacons in general. Sometimes the deacons leave things/Tonia's and are careless when serving in the Alter.

Thanks in advance guys/girls...

Comments

• At my church we have a list of rules laminated and put on one of the walls as the deacons walk in.

I can't really remember all of them but here are the ones from the top of my mind
    1. If you see anything on the ground that is not meant to be there, pick it up
    2. Place tonias on their racks, make sure they are not inside out.
    3. place butrashias on the butrashia rack (the highest rack) not around the tonia or touching the floor
    4. when all tonias are in place, cover with tonia curtain
    5. Neatly (no joke its in bold and underlined) fold all materials on the alter that are meant to be folded and place them in their spot after each service.
    6. tidy the Holy Communion cloths so that the edges are all aligned (my job lol)
    7. leave no candles unattended
    8. vacuum the alter when asked by abouna only
    9. after holy Communion, no Holy Communion cloths are to be put around the alter, on a chair etc, but all in the basket straight away
    10. serve with love and respect towards the Lord

My abouna is really strict with these rules because he made them of course  ;D
  • First of all, the Holy Altar is spelled with an "a" not an "e".

It depends on the rules you are asking about.  Is it relative to decorum and demeanor?  Is it relative to duty?  Is it relative to interaction with other deacons and the orders of the Clergy?

You have to be specific.
  • Thanks Love Conquers all...MANY/All of those will make it on my list!

Its mostly relative to demeanor and interaction with other deacons. As well as specific rules like "keep things things tidy"...anyone got any more?
  • Here's a collection of rules and instructions from the Southern Diocese: http://www.suscopts.org/deacons/deaconship/deacons_instructions.pdf
  • I believe following issues nicely append to the words of His Grace from the previous link:

Thou shalt not touch the altar unless it is absolutely necessary.  It (the altar table) is not meant for leaning.
    Thou shalt not clutter the altar with all of your junk.
    Thou shalt not use your mobile phone in the church.
    Thou shalt not discuss the hymns with your pal next to you.
    Thou shalt not suck the microphone down your throat.
    Thou shalt not use cough drops during the Liturgy, because you think your voice is so nice it needs to be supplemented.
    Thou shalt have respect for the deacons that are older and of a higher rank thank you.
    Thou shalt clean the altar, because all of the altars are not well kept at all.
    Thou shalt read and study the Scriptures every Day and Night.
    Thou shalt keep the Commandments as your guide to being a deacon.
    Thou shalt not review the chants during the Liturgy, prior to saying given chant.
    Thou shalt help the priest vest so that he may be able to do his preparatory prayers as he is vesting.
    Thou shalt upkeep the vestments of the priest.
    Thou shalt take the vestments of the priest to be dry cleaned.
    Thou shalt organize the people during Holy Communion receiving.
    Thou shalt not give your back to the Holy Altar.
    Thou shalt not walk in front of the altar.
    Thou shalt not avoid the Fasting Seasons.
    Thou shalt not stay out late the night before Liturgy.
    Thou shalt conduct yourself the same on the days of the week as you do on Sunday.
    Thou shalt not wear clothes with Satanic markings, rock and roll groups, rapper attire, sports attire.
    Remember to participate in the Praises, they help to set for the Divine Liturgy.
    Remember to keep your vestments clean and ironed.  They represent a gift from God.
    Remember to come to church in clean attire.
    Remember to shower before you come to church.
    Remember to offer your tithes to the church, it is part of your service as a deacon.
    Remember to pray for the sake of your service, and the overall service in the church.
    Remember to look for the needs of the priest.  The priest forget themselves, do not take care of themselves.
         It is nice to take care of your father.
    Remember not to make fun of your peers as they say the responses or make mistakes.
    Remember that the chants are not by any means the main focus of your service.
    Remember to learn how to make the Korban, because there may arise an emergency where you will have to do so.
    Remember to take care of the younger deacons in service.
    Remember to study for your schoolwork, so that you do not use your duties as a deacon as an excuse for not doing well.
    Remember to make time from your world duties for the Pascha.
    Remember to keep your service books in good shape.
    Remember to keep your eyes controlled so that they do not wander around the church; especially to check out the chicks (because  you think you are so cool).
    Remember to read the Acts of the Apostles and the Epistles of Timothy ( I & II) to get a feel for the service and duty of the deacon.
    Remember to correlate your daily Scriptural readings with the meanings of the chants to realize their origin.
    Remember that the chants are a prayer, you should understand what you are saying.
    Remember that you are in the service as a deacon always, not just during church.
    Remember that bad movies have a way of infiltrating the mind and blinding you from God's Service.
    Remember that God is doing you a favor and not the reverse.
    Remember that you are a role model to the entire church.
    Remember that you do not have the authority to question the priest, unless their is a theological flaw.
    Remember that the priest is in charge, and you are not.
    Remember that the priest answers to God, not you.
    Remember never ask to be elevated, let God present you with the invitation.
    Remember Thou art mortal.
    Remember that you have a duty to learn as much as you can, e.g., the Scriptures, Theology, and Spiritual Writings.
    Remember to let your seniors receive Holy Communion before you.

There are a lot more issues, but my fingers are tired from typing.  I usually write brief posts, but sometimes things just flow.
  • I'm watching my clock to see how long the litany of objections of my previous post begin to resonate.
  • Dear ilovesaintmark,

Christ is risen!

What a good list. Thank you for composing it and posting it.

There is hardly anything more important for the altar service of a priest than an attentive and serious deacon.

May the Lord watch over all who have the blessing of being a deacon of various ranks and help you all to fulfill your service.

Father Peter
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9117.msg113405#msg113405 date=1271448133]
    I'm watching my clock to see how long the litany of objections of my previous post begin to resonate.

WHY?! i like this list.....even though i didn't read all of it, but i trust you.
  • Thanks Father, I usually get snide remarks and other things.

God elevate your service and priesthood, not just for your sake, but for our sakes and our salvation.
  • You are too kind Minagir.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9117.msg113415#msg113415 date=1271449740]
    You are too kind Minagir.

really. and you are right; you are missing a couple. so i'd expect to read them soon.

you are being specific, so it's good that ppl know this.

one that have to add that really really annoys me:
    Thou shalt not touch the dome and its pillars that is consider part of the Altar.

In my church, in the main Altar, we have a wooden dome with four pillars that are actually CONSECRATED with the Altar by the Pope when he was in our church last.
  • Why does it annoy you?

Why not just do what you are told? I don't mean that critically. But in the years I served my priest I just tried to do whatever he wanted in the way he wanted. It worked out a whole lot easier than getting bothered by being asked to do things in a way that I didn't necessarily agree with.

God bless you

Father Peter
  • Father Peter, I think you misunderstood mina, He's not saying that rule is annoying, He's saying people who don't follow that rule annoys him.

Pray for me and my weakness
  • Yes, I did misunderstand.

Forgive me.

I agree entirely with the rule you wanted added, and understand that you were not disagreeing with it.

Father Peter
  • yeah. that's what i refer to. Actually, i think the general rule is to not touch (or minimize touching as possible) anything that is consecrated with the mayron with some exceptions like the censer and maybe candlestands when cleaning them.
  • I totally agree with all of ilovesaintmark's list and everyones opinion for that matter. The leaning on the altar one and that fiddling with candles because they're bored out of their minds are very common unfortunately (although it is always amusing when one of them gets their just desserts and singes their eyebrows  ;D)
  • “Likewise deacons must be reverent, not double-tongued, not given too much wine, not greedy
    for money, holding the mystery of the faith with a pure conscience. But let these also first be
    tested; then let them serve as deacons, being found blameless." (1 Tim 3:8-10)
    “For those who have served well as deacons obtain for themselves a good standing.” (1
    Timothy 3:13)

That he be present in the church from the beginning of the Matins Raising of Incense and
    assist in organizing the altar and prepare for the service of the liturgy with the priest.

He is responsible (with the permission of the lead deacon in the Sanctuary) for arranging the
    Eprosphareen upon the altar - carrying the wine (during the Offertory) - laying the
    Eprosphareen after the Prayer of Thanksgiving (except in the presence of another priest) -
    rounding the altar during the Pauline - reading the Gospel (with permission of the priest) and
    removing the Eprosphareen after the Prayer of Reconciliation (except in the presence of
    another priest).

That he stands at the north side of the altar (with the permission of the lead deacon in the
    Sanctuary) and assist the priest with the pages of the liturgy book and distributing the
    responses amongst the deacons of the sanctuary in a discreet manner.

That he should be knowledgeable in the manner of presenting the censer in a ready state,
    emptying it of ashes and presenting it to the priest in the appropriate manner (with the
    permission of the lead deacon in the Sanctuary) for the service of the censer from the
    beginning of the liturgy.

Movement in the sanctuary proceeds counter-clockwise around the altar (from the right to the
    left).

That he stands during times of bowing down (with humility in his heart) to observe the Body
    and Blood, shielding them from anything that may fall into or upon them (if necessary).

That he maintains silence and conservation of movement in the main sanctuary and the side
    sanctuaries.

After the end of the liturgy, he and the other deacons of the sanctuary are responsible for
    reorganizing the altar and returning it to its original state (e.g. wrapping the vessels,
    disposing of the water and the contents of the censer, the lights, etc.)

That he not allow the presence of anyone who should not be there inside the sanctuary.

That he focuses only on the sanctuary deacons' responses and that he not raise his voice for
    responses outside the sanctuary.

That he keeps his eyes on the Body and Blood.

That he abstains from excessive movement, laughing, talking, or signaling and that all his
    movements should be performed in silence and meekness. Additionally, all his movements
    should only pertain to the service of the sanctuary and always with the knowledge of the lead
    sanctuary deacon.

That he assists the lead sanctuary deacon in arranging the altar before and after the liturgy.
    Blessed be the obedient son
  • ilovesaintmark,
    Although I am not a deacon but that is a very nice list!

[quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9117.msg113404#msg113404 date=1271447801]
    Remember to keep your eyes controlled so that they do not wander around the church; especially to check out the chicks (because  you think you are so cool).

hahahahaha deacons do that??
    I think I have seen everything on that list except that one.
  • [quote author=perfectsinner link=topic=9117.msg113445#msg113445 date=1271491265]
    ilovesaintmark,

[quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9117.msg113404#msg113404 date=1271447801]

well....if they have a good view I am sure it's possible.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=9117.msg113449#msg113449 date=1271516878]
    [quote author=perfectsinner link=topic=9117.msg113445#msg113445 date=1271491265]
    ilovesaintmark,

well....if they have a good view I am sure it's possible.

I didnt believe it until I saw it. I went to a different church today than my own and I was watching out for this today to see if it really does happen.  Mina, when you said its possible if they have a good view I didnt understand. My thoughts were that the only way for a deacon to have a view of the women is if he turned himself around 180 degrees. However, I forgot that in some churches the deacons face each other (which I think is wrong) and not the altar so its possible for half of the deacons to have a good view of the womans side.  lol so short story: when I noticed that today, I was smiling (randomly as it would appear to others) so one of the deacons started staring at me which only gave me a bigger smile, okay the end! :)
  • If you notice the in the Cathedral the Deacons do not face forward(which is correct) in bigger churches, the deacons are supposed to be on both sides of the Church and respond to each other. North and south side. At least for the beginning part of the Liturgy since the focus is the Gospel not the alter. When the deacon proclaims look towards the east, that is when the deacons should begin to face forward. The responses for the deacons are not just there but are real proclamations for people to do something.
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=9117.msg113499#msg113499 date=1271627918]
    If you notice the in the Cathedral the Deacons do not face forward(which is correct) in bigger churches, the deacons are supposed to be on both sides of the Church and respond to each other. North and south side. At least for the beginning part of the Liturgy since the focus is the Gospel not the alter. When the deacon proclaims look towards the east, that is when the deacons should begin to face forward. The responses for the deacons are not just there but are real proclamations for people to do something.

I do not know the rites or the reasoning behind that so I cant argue if its "right" or "wrong". I just think that the focus should never be taken off the Sacrifice given for us on the altar. I see no point for deacons staring at each other. The North and South side can respond to each other while facing the altar, that's not an issue. This is what I have been taught and what is done at my church and it makes perfect sense. I am not a deacon (and never will be lol) so it doesn't really concern me but I just see it more of a distraction than anything.

The one and only
    -perfect at sinning
  • The deacon speaks to the ppl. Therefore sometimes he need to be looking at them to do so. More like when a deacon is saying statheti or ensofia; A declaration to the people to act upon. When a deacon reads the Gospel, he reads it towards the west, the people who are in need of its words...unlike reading it to the east where he would be addressing God who does not need the words of the Gospel.

Also deacons are the connection between the people and the priest. And the priest is the connection between the people and God. When they face each other standing on the second chorus, the deacons' chorus, they act as the connection.

Also, in Saint Gregory's liturgy:
    "And with two they cover their feet, and with two they fly. And one cries to another. They send up the hymn of victory and salvation which is ours, with a voice full of glory." (http://tasbeha.org/hymn_library/view/1938)

They cry to one another meaning that in someway they can hear each other and are responding to each other. That is best done through the deacons facing each other.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=9117.msg113503#msg113503 date=1271629945]
    The deacon speaks to the ppl. Therefore sometimes he need to be looking at them to do so. More like when a deacon is saying statheti or ensofia; A declaration to the people to act upon. When a deacon reads the Gospel, he reads it towards the west, the people who are in need of its words...unlike reading it to the east where he would be addressing God who does not need the words of the Gospel.

Also deacons are the connection between the people and the priest. And the priest is the connection between the people and God. When they face each other standing on the second chorus, the deacons' chorus, they act as the connection.

Also, in Saint Gregory's liturgy:
    "And with two they cover their feet, and with two they fly. And one cries to another. They send up the hymn of victory and salvation which is ours, with a voice full of glory." (http://tasbeha.org/hymn_library/view/1938)

They cry to one another meaning that in someway they can hear each other and are responding to each other. That is best done through the deacons facing each other.

I have never taken that perspective in consideration, that makes sense now why some churches choose that deacons face each other. Thanks for educating me. However, I don't understand how the deacons are the connection to the priest? The majority of deacons are usually the rank of psaltos which is not a rank of any sort. They just lead the congregation in prayer to keep order. I would appreciate it if you could elaborate further because I don't really understand that. Thanks in advance :)

Please pray for me
    -sister in Christ
  • First, let me say that these are my own thoughts, not anyone even though maybe influenced by others...

The deacon in general is a servant under the priest. He is to hear and obey what he says. He is the rank below the priest. If anything happens to the priest in a liturgy for example the deacon of the highest rank present must finish the liturgy on the people's behalf where after that he must be ordained as a priest (and i know a true story that happen). So he is the rank between the people, who are a rank in the church and and the next rank after him, priests.

psaltos is a chanter......yes, it's an introductory rank in it was recently presented (compared to the wide history of our Church). I think one of the main reasons for it is to keep our hymns. Praising is the job of angels and also the people on earth who will become with the angels in God's kingdom. It is one of the things that gets us to be in heaven while on earth....hence the famous saying of Fr. Bishoy Kamel "the successful Kiahk praise transforms the church into heaven." Therefore it's very important. If it was left in people's hands, it would of been died. So having a rank specifically for that protects our heritage (despite some of the problems we have amongst each other).
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=9117.msg113511#msg113511 date=1271634510]
    First, let me say that these are my own thoughts, not anyone even though maybe influenced by others...

The deacon in general is a servant under the priest. He is to hear and obey what he says. He is the rank below the priest. If anything happens to the priest in a liturgy for example the deacon of the highest rank present must finish the liturgy on the people's behalf where after that he must be ordained as a priest (and i know a true story that happen). So he is the rank between the people, who are a rank in the church and and the next rank after him, priests.

I have never heard this before. I trust what you have said, but I am curious to your sources about this. Also, forgive me but if you don't mind can you please give me another example to how the deacon is between the congregation and priest because I am not really convinced.. sorry for the trouble.
    Thanks again! :)

Pray for me.
  • [quote author=perfectsinner link=topic=9117.msg113515#msg113515 date=1271635347]
    I have never heard this before. I trust what you have said, but I am curious to your sources about this. Also, forgive me but if you don't mind can you please give me another example to how the deacon is between the congregation and priest because I am not really convinced.. sorry for the trouble.

there are many things that deacons do that show that. some as simple as taken peoples' prayers (that are written down) and just bringing them to the priests.

a deacon who does the orban to be presented as a Lamb; he brings gifts, and those gifts, even though he is the one who made them, are also brought on behalf of the people, where they also have helped by maybe bringing the flour or anything that is need for the orban to be baked.

it's hard to think of much really.
  • Any service the deacon does is a connection between the people and the priest, just as mina said, the deacons may do things on behalf of the people. I don't know if you are aware of this, but during the pauline and acts procession of incense, the deacon is to be praying and responding to the litanies the priest pray. Also as mina stated, people generally don't go to the priest for anything directly but talk to a deacon first. The deacons call out for the people to pray for certain things, standing for prayer, the deacons confession is basically a confession for the people. Why do you think that everyone doesn't say the response after the confession?

Secondly, the story mina said is true and is taught that if a something, God forbid, happens to the priest that the highest ranking deacon needs to finish the liturgy and ordained a priest immediately, to the point I've heard he can't leave the church until he is ordained.

Pray for me and my weakness
  • It is true:  he the deacon cannot leave the church until he is ordained.  If he is not married, and wishes to be married, this must be carried out before he is ordained to the priesthood.

The Very Rev. Fr. Demetri (reposed) who is the father of the reposed Very Rev. Fr. Bishoy Demetrious (St. Mary--East Brunswick, NJ) is such a priest who was chosen for the priesthood relative to the passing of the priest that was carrying out the Liturgy.

However, the rule only kicks in if the Epiclesis has taken place.  The deacon does not have any authority to invoke the Holy Spirit for any Sacramental Act.  Hence, his ability to step in the place of the deceased priest is relative to the completion and distribution of the Holy Eucharist--only. He covers his head with the readers shawl, but not with a priest's mitre since he is not a priest (yet).