The History/Traditions of Agios Otheos

edited April 2010 in Faith Issues
Hi,

It came to my attention that it was Joseph of Aramathea, the noble jew who asked to bury the Body of Christ, that the hymn Agios Otheos was developed.

The tradition/story goes like this (and please correct me if I'm wrong):

When Joseph took the Body of Christ, He asked himself: "How can the Son of God die?!" - He was perplexed as to how the One who Gave Life to others could die Himself?

When he held the Body of Christ in his hands to take Him away, the eyes of our Lord opened, to which He screamed, saying: "Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us!!".

Now, this is a story that I've heard; and I'd like more information on this.

If we look at the hymn of Golgotha:

The righteous Joseph and Nicodemus came took away the Body of Christ, wrapped it in linen cloths with spices, and put it in a sepulcher and praised Him saying, “Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, who was crucified for us, have mercy on us.”

So, we definately KNOW that this hymn came from him. Sure, we changed it, and perhaps added a few things, but it was from THAT moment that the source of this hymn were spoken.

Please, if you have any references on this absolutely remarkable and beautiful story, could you post it? I just heard it from someone, and really would love to have more details.

Thanks

Comments

• wow i never knew that before. i always just assumed it was based off of Revelation 4:8. thanks for pointing that out.

i have a sort of related question. i just noticed this year how awesome the words to the good friday hymn omonogenees are. the second half is:

Holy God, who became man without change for our sake and he is The Lord our God.
    Holy mighty, who by weakness showed forth what is greaster then power.
    Holy immortal, who for our sake was crucified and endured the death of the cross and he accepted all that in the flesh. And He is eternal and immotal. O Holy Trinity have mercy upon us.

i think i remember being told a long time ago that the words to this hymn were written by a saint (maybe Athanasius or Cyril?). does anyone know if this is true and which saint it was?

• I recall our priest saying it Omonoghenees, was written by Abba Athanasius.
  • It's best not to put too much stock into traditions like these unless they can be backed up by independent evidence. Jesus opening His eyes after having died creates some theological problems I would think. It's a nice story - but whether or not it actually HAPPENED is another matter.

PFM
  • I heard something else actually, that he asked himself this question, and angels had appeared to him chanting, Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal over and over again, so He joined in the heavenly chant.

Pray for me
  • [quote author=epchois_nai_nan link=topic=9095.msg113097#msg113097 date=1270960518]
    It's best not to put too much stock into traditions like these unless they can be backed up by independent evidence. Jesus opening His eyes after having died creates some theological problems I would think. It's a nice story - but whether or not it actually HAPPENED is another matter.

PFM

A lot of what goes on in our Church (and the Roman Catholic) is based on Spiritual Tradition: i.e. things we've learnt that were passed down through word of mouth, and not necessarily written in the gospels or Bible.

For example: The Assumption of St. Mary. This is a really remarkable and beautiful story that is not mentioned in any of the Gospels.

Let's look at the hymn Golgotha: It says that Joseph and Nicodemos sang: Agios Otheos. This is the 1st noted/recorded time this hymn was sung: by the 2 men that carried the Body Of Christ. I just find this entire situation so magnificent and bind blowing that I'd love to have more information. But bear in mind, Apostolic/Spiritual Tradition IS very serious and these events should have been recorded in the Church Annuls somewhere - but where??