What Should Preachers Wear?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hi Guys! Happy Easter to all!

I think many of the well known Protestant preachers seem to be more concerned about their external qualities, about their personalities –  how they dress, move and sound than about demonstrating their submissiveness to the superior being. For instance, if we look around Evangelical congregations, we would  see a preacher wearing a formal style of dress – like a business man. Frankly speaking, I tend to disqualify people wearing ties as preachers. I believe, the words of our Lord "give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar, and give to God what belongs to God." could apply to what a Preacher wears.

What do you guys think?

Bless you!

Comments

• [coptic]<rictoc `anecty[/coptic]

I think it doesn't really matter what they wear physically - the adoption of a suit may merely signify adherence to the social norm of formality. Saying that however, this may have a exert a certain impression on the audience, e.g. wearing an immaculate suit when preaching to poor farmers in a developing country wearing a dusty garment such as a gallabeya may might be seen as an attempt to show off or even intimidate the audience. Likewise, the opposite is true also: a preaching wearing jeans and a T-shirt before high-ranking nobility may not be taken seriously. But this is just a human complication - the true preaching is by the action of the Holy Spirit, working in the hearts of those preaching and those listening, opening the eyes of their hearts to the Word of God.

Essentially, the message of God's salvation to the world transcends the clothes or the venue or the type of audience. It's deeper than that.

pray for me

joe
  • I see some some pretty large diamond rings.

Are diamonds a girl best friend or that for a preacher?  Are they really preachers?

I was up at 5 AM this morning and on the TV there was one peddling Miracle water.  He was wearing a diamond ring and a diamond watch.

• the balance between solemnity and humility can be a delicate one, but it's possible, and a good thing to pursuit.

if all a pastor has available to wear is a dusty shirt and dusty pants, that is ok. but we should still look our best for the Lord, without being vain, or adorned with worldly things.

pastors in jeans and t-shirts bugs me a bit, too. but i'd prefer a pastor in jeans and t-shirts to a pastor in a suit that could feed my family for half a year, and a diamond watch. 

• Does that also mean diamonds?

Does it mean an Armani suit?

Does it mean a $500 hairdo?
  • I don't think it's that big of a deal, but I don't think it should be too much.
    However, before we throw a stone at protestants here, what about priests in our own church who wear expensive crosses, watches and have the newest cellphones? Unfortunately, I think priests or preachers should be more modest.
    Don't forget: "Provide neither gold nor silver nor copper in your money belts, nor bag for your journey, nor two tunics, nor sandals, nor staffs; for a worker is worthy of his food." (Matthew 10)
    I understand priests, for example, need a cellphone to be in contact, but I just don't see why they have to have the latest blackberry or an iphone, isn't that a bit too much. Also, in Egypt, many priests drive around in some very expensive cars, is having a car that expensive really necessary? I don't know...
    I hope no one interprets this as an attack on our church, which I by no means, desire at all, I just think we should look at improving our own church before judging others.
    Thank you
  • [quote author=pharoh123 link=topic=9075.msg112891#msg112891 date=1270608652]
    I don't think it's that big of a deal, but I don't think it should be too much.
    However, before we throw a stone at protestants here, what about priests in our own church who wear expensive crosses, watches and have the newest cellphones? Unfortunately, I think priests or preachers should be more modest.
    Don't forget: "Provide neither gold nor silver nor copper in your money belts, nor bag for your journey, nor two tunics, nor sandals, nor staffs; for a worker is worthy of his food." (Matthew 10)
    I understand priests, for example, need a cellphone to be in contact, but I just don't see why they have to have the latest blackberry or an iphone, isn't that a bit too much. Also, in Egypt, many priests drive around in some very expensive cars, is having a car that expensive really necessary? I don't know...
    I hope no one interprets this as an attack on our church, which I by no means, desire at all, I just think we should look at improving our own church before judging others.
    Thank you

Priests were 'normal, worldly' people before their ordination, some were doctors, lawyers, engineers etc. so many of them had their cars before their ordination... Also, many people give their priests expensive gifts, which could be why many might have expensive blackberries and iphone's...
  • I would not call a smartphone an expensive item.  The crosses that the priest have, are costume jewelry.  I have yet to see a priest wearing a Rolex, Patek Phillippe, Vacheron Constantin, IWC, watches.

Their vestments are tailored and embroidered in Egypt, they are not expensive by any means.  I do not know any priests in the USA that drive expensive German Cars, have limousines, etc.

I do not know of any living in mansions.

They have given up their lives, and income earning potential to be priests.  There is nothing glamorous about being a priest.

I worry about them, and I pray for them.

I think the previous posts are childish, ill-founded, unfounded, and identify a non-refined eye.

I would not put diamond rings, and diamond encrusted watches, and slick Armani Suits in the same category as the priests of the Holy Coptic Orthodox Church.

I think the person that made the post needs a pair of glasses; hopefully ones that are not tainted or rose-colored.
  • LEAVE THE PRIESTS ALONE!  THEY HAVE ENOUGH TO DEAL WITH.
  • I honestly get the impression that their faith or level of spirituality is so weak, they tend to overcompensate on charismatic preaching rather than spiritual preaching.

They really are dying to show everyone they have some fruits from the Holy Spirit, and the best they can offer mankind is their useless ability to speak in jibberish . I guess with all the crazy hand movements and emotional acting going on, they at least get some fun out of it.

It is interesting to compare how all Orthodox priests (Russian/Coptic/Armenian/Greek/Romanian etc) ALL DRESS IN BLACK. I wonder why!