British Orthodox Church Hymns

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what hymns they sing in the BoC? For example, do they do Agios Otheos? And is it the same tune as ours (in the CoC)?
Do they have Apenshoise?

Do they even have Coptic in the mass at all?

Finally, whilst we're here talking about that, could someone kindly point me to the lyrics of Apenshoise for lent?

Thanks

Comments

• Well you could just ask me.

We don't have any Coptic or Arabic in the services.

We don't use the same tunes either.

I think all Orthodox Churches sing the Trisagion. We sing the doxologies of the Raising of Incense, and the hymns of the Liturgy of St James, which is our usual liturgy.

Best wishes

Father Peter
  • [quote author=peterfarrington link=topic=8960.msg112004#msg112004 date=1268858063]
    Well you could just ask me.

We don't have any Coptic or Arabic in the services.

We don't use the same tunes either.

I think all Orthodox Churches sing the Trisagion. We sing the doxologies of the Raising of Incense, and the hymns of the Liturgy of St James, which is our usual liturgy.

Best wishes

Father Peter

So with respect to the doxologies, what tune/melodies do you use? Do you have our lyrics , or do you have your own?

I think someone posted a video on tasbeha.org of the tasbeha in english, and I thought it was really beautiful actually. Its probably the only part of our spiritual life that can be done in English.

I thought its best to ask generally in case there were other BoC's here.

Thanks.

ps. Can someone give me the link anyway for Apenchoice lent.
  • We use the same lyrics for the Doxologies, but a different, simple tune.

I hope to be able to start doing tasbeha this year, as the numbers grow in my community. I would expect to use a slightly anglicised set of tunes, but I think it would be close to the Coptic tunes. I have heard the tasbeha from Canada and it sounds very accessible to an English ear.

All of the Coptic tradition can be done in English. The substance of our Orthodox faith doesn't belong to any one culture. If you mean in terms of tunes then it may well be the case that a mature British Orthodoxy in the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate would use slightly different, Western(ised) tunes, as the Lord wills.

Father Peter
  • [quote author=peterfarrington link=topic=8960.msg112007#msg112007 date=1268860236]
    We use the same lyrics for the Doxologies, but a different, simple tune.

I hope to be able to start doing tasbeha this year, as the numbers grow in my community. I would expect to use a slightly anglicised set of tunes, but I think it would be close to the Coptic tunes. I have heard the tasbeha from Canada and it sounds very accessible to an English ear.

All of the Coptic tradition can be done in English. The substance of our Orthodox faith doesn't belong to any one culture. If you mean in terms of tunes then it may well be the case that a mature British Orthodoxy in the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate would use slightly different, Western(ised) tunes, as the Lord wills.

Father Peter

Yes, I meant in terms of the tune / melody, the doxologies are compatible in English in that respect.
  • Is the British Orthodox part of the oriental orthodox churches?
  • Father Peter, if it possible for us to comprhend fully what you mean can you upload how a doxology or tune would sound like?

• [quote author=davidawad94 link=topic=8960.msg112014#msg112014 date=1268867815]
    Is the British Orthodox part of the oriental orthodox churches?

Yes they are a daughter church of the COC,

Zoxasi, here you go:
    http://tasbeha.org/media/index.php?st=Hymns/Fasts/Great_Lent/Ibrahim_Ayad/Great_Lent_-_Sat_and_Sun_Liturgy/04.apenshoice.66.mp3
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=8960.msg112028#msg112028 date=1268878625]
    [quote author=davidawad94 link=topic=8960.msg112014#msg112014 date=1268867815]
    Is the British Orthodox part of the oriental orthodox churches?

Yes they are a daughter church of the COC,

Zoxasi, here you go:
    http://tasbeha.org/media/index.php?st=Hymns/Fasts/Great_Lent/Ibrahim_Ayad/Great_Lent_-_Sat_and_Sun_Liturgy/04.apenshoice.66.mp3

THanks bud.
    Do I need to install coptic font for this?
  • Not a problem, if you don't have them already installed and the coptic looks weird than yeah you need to install them.