LOVE AND LIKE

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
i know u must love everyone, even your enemies, but do u have to like them???
this a huge contrast between those 2 words...
for example u could love ur brother because his ur own fkesh and blood, but do ya have to like him and his personality
or u could love ur enemy and treat them with love, but could u dislike their actions, behavior, personality or evil doings...
George

Comments

• Dear GJI,
    Love, as Jesus mentioned it, for you enemies was not to be taken lightly. Jesus wanted all of us to love each other with the love that he loved for us. Although it is hard to do that, I think that the effort that would be made, would show the other person true love. If you love someone, you like them. You don't have to be their best freind, but you must show care for them, you must show them that your love is not a fake and hypocritical love. Thanks, Peter
  • sorry peter,but i have to say that i disagree. I mean GJI is right, i can love you because you are one of God's children, but i dont have to like who you actually are.
  • I think along with love comes like, u cant really love someone without liking them..u have to love and to like friends and enemies for the person they really are..remember we r all God's children and we ought to love one another as Christ has loved us..loving and liking a person is different than loving and liking a persons's actions/behavior.

God loves us unconditional love so we, as His sons & daughters have to be like Him and fill our hearts wit this love, the love that is beyond all measure and understanding, and even though loving our enemies is very difficult ...we have to do our best. Love as Jesus loved, remember they spit on His face, tore His clothes, reviled Him, pierced His side, crucified Him, like a sheep to be sheered, He never said a word, He didnt curse those who did all this to them "bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse" Romans 12:14, "repay no evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men" Romans 12:17, hung on the cross, there He was, praying, even while suffering so much, for those who persecuted Him, "father forgive them for they do not know what they are doing"

Show your love in your actions, love your enemies from all your heart, do not love their behavior or their evil deeds "have no fellowship with the unfruitfull works of darkness, but rather expose them"ephesians 5:11..., just love them, putting infront of your eyes that they are all still children of God, remember Christ's many examples how He showed us to love our enemies,.... and follow in His footsteps
  • ... so basically... hate the sin but love the sinner, for those are the one's with whom Jesus had dinner..
    -mary
  • lol, lil bit of poetry never hurt ne1. come up with it urself?

I have sinned, I have sinned: My Lord Jesus forgive me: for there is no servant without sin: nor a master without forgiveness,
    - Chris
  • looooool, that was halarious
  • i agree with peter.. if you love someone, you genuinely love them. do you think Christ loves all of us but only likes some of us? no. His love is pure.. untainted. that's what ours should be, and we can only do that through Him. yes, love the sinner, hate the sin; no you don't have to be around people who cause you to sin. but you do have to love them. and that includes not differentiating between loving and "liking". keep in mind, not everyone has to be your best friend, but a good way of thinking about it, is that you would treat everyone the same way you would treat your closest friend: with total love.
    pray for me
  • lol, lil bit of poetry never hurt ne1. come up with it urself?
    actually.. i didn't even know what you were referring to..hehehe..
    but surree... poetry... of course.. ::)
    we truly are sinners.. so how can we even look at anyone and think of them as anyone other than someone who is covered in Christ's blood... if He died for them, you can't learn to get along with them?
  • [quote author=PrincessMary link=board=1;threadid=224;start=0#msg1388 date=1083698125]
    I think along with love comes like, u cant really love someone without liking them..u have to love and to like friends and enemies for the person they really are..remember we r all God's children and we ought to love one another as Christ has loved us..loving and liking a person is different than loving and liking a persons's actions/behavior.

God loves us unconditional love so we, as His sons & daughters have to be like Him and fill our hearts wit this love, the love that is beyond all measure and understanding, and even though loving our enemies is very difficult ...we have to do our best. Love as Jesus loved, remember they spit on His face, tore His clothes, reviled Him, pierced His side, crucified Him, like a sheep to be sheered, He never said a word, He didnt curse those who did all this to them "bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse" Romans 12:14, "repay no evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men" Romans 12:17, hung on the cross, there He was, praying, even while suffering so much, for those who persecuted Him, "father forgive them for they do not know what they are doing"

Show your love in your actions, love your enemies from all your heart, do not love their behavior or their evil deeds "have no fellowship with the unfruitfull works of darkness, but rather expose them"ephesians 5:11..., just love them, putting infront of your eyes that they are all still children of God, remember Christ's many examples how He showed us to love our enemies,.... and follow in His footsteps

high 5 for u!!!

thnx to all u guys i guess i hae a clear understandin now ;)
  • anymore views???
    plz :(
  • [quote author=G.J.I link=board=1;threadid=224;start=0#msg1373 date=1083675368]
    ...but do ya have to like him and his personality
    or u could love ur enemy and treat them with love, but could u dislike their actions, behavior, personality or evil doings...

well of course you don't have to like their actions. As Marys said...hate the sin, but love the sinner [and so on lol]. That's also why we aren't allowed to judge other people...but we are supposed to judge their actions. And not everything everybody does will always come to our likeness. So yea...high five for mary on the rhymes lol.

In Christ,
    Pavlos
  • Okie...my inquiring mind has a question... ::) we love them but not their sin...ok 4 example i do a lot of theatre work i act or wutever but more than half of the cast is gay... :-X....but some of them r the sweetest ppl I've ever met u kno? and I'm friends with them and I talk about God lyk crazy with them and so we became good friends but they're still gay and i 4get where but i read somewhere in the Bible that we have to free ourselves from acompanying, woe is that a word?, neways from being friends with ppl who practice sexual immorality or homosexuality. So i guess my question is how do we love them, dis-love their actions, yet the Bible tells us 2 stay away from them....sum1, any1 if u kno wut i just said please let me kno cuz i have no idea wut i just wrote but its a real query i have so...help? :-\ lolx!

GOD BLESS ALL! :-*
  • i agree with the..hate the sin love the sinner thing.. thats totally the rite thing to do.. i mean u cant totally and completely love everything everybody does but u can love them as a aperson.. if not out of ur own will..for god
  • its lyk u could have a father or mother who smoke, u love them but it doesnt mean u love that they're smoking...or atleast i'm hoping u wouldnt, lolx... :-\

• i remember my seventh grade science teacher always saying that you have to love everyone, but not like everyone....and i think thats tru cuz sumtimes there will people that u just dont click with....lol....i guess u cant please everyone...lol... ;D ;D
  • i wa s at a retreat, and the priest was talking about this, we're supposed to love them,( not their actions) and help bring them closer to God and the church. ur show them the love that God gives us, and help them. take them to church, read the Bible to them, pray for them, etc.
    hope this helped
  • [quote author=arubaiscrazy link=board=1;threadid=224;start=15#msg12277 date=1096340740]
    i remember my seventh grade science teacher always saying that you have to love everyone, but not like everyone....and i think thats tru cuz sumtimes there will people that u just dont click with....lol....i guess u cant please everyone...lol... ;D ;D

I agree with that because no matter what happens there will always be people talking and you can't please everyone, but you can always ignore them and block their words out of your life and people will admire you for your personality, and that will make you feel really good about yourself.

sleepy
  • sleepy, u r a very wise person!
  • Hahahaha, thanks a lot for that one, I got a good laugh out of it. lol ;)
    But I appreciate it.

sleepy
  • no seriously u r. u gave me tons of info when i needed it, remember?!?!
  • Everything that I may say isn't mine, it's all of God's teachings in a way, I just find a way to relate them to our modern day lives, that's all. I can't take credit for it, but just know that whenever you need someone to talk to or someone to listen to you, advice, anything, come to me.

sleepy
    P.S. sorry to everyone else for the private convo, I apologize.
  • [quote author=sleepymusician link=board=1;threadid=224;start=15#msg12327 date=1096500574]
    [quote author=arubaiscrazy link=board=1;threadid=224;start=15#msg12277 date=1096340740]
    i remember my seventh grade science teacher always saying that you have to love everyone, but not like everyone....and i think thats tru cuz sumtimes there will people that u just dont click with....lol....i guess u cant please everyone...lol... ;D ;D

I agree with that because no matter what happens there will always be people talking and you can't please everyone, but you can always ignore them and block their words out of your life and people will admire you for your personality, and that will make you feel really good about yourself.

sleepy

sometimes this is a very hard thing to do and u just cant do it
  • That's true, but you can always try. You don't always have to listen to what they say. Pretend that it's not there. You have your friends with you who know that whatever is being said about you (or anyone) isn't true and they'll support you. Don't try to deal with it alone.

sleepy
  • Thanks to all who sharedi n this topic. I am very pleased for what
    they say. Weall are the sons of Adam and Eve. God takes care for all and saved them on the cross. HE wants all to be saints as
    HE IS. So we must love all whatever they are. But like is limited
    by the emotions and the hapit of everyone that gained from his
    family and the environment. So we have to love all and do not
    blame them for anything, and if possible lead them to the church. We have to differentiate between the true friend who
    we like and the others whatever they are. The true friend one
    resembles us in everything as regard our hope and the relations
    to the LORD and faithful.
  • I totally agree with ya sleepy. Let me tell u something from experience. People are going to talk about u from now till kingdom come, and although its soooo hard to control urself to not care, u have to train urself to just mute their words from ur ears, think of it this way, they acually care enough to sit there and talk about you for hours. I mean if u really dont lyk sum1 y would u sit there and talk about them for 50hrs?! Besides, gossiping only hurts those who did something wrong, so go in a straight line (not perfection cuz we all make madd mistakes, but in the way of Christ i mean) and not much can be said about u. Some people will talk about u because ur taller than they're while others can talk about u cuz u got 1 point higher than them in a test, lolx, in the end though....does it benefit either of u? NO, does it help u grow? maybe u because it makes u stronger, but it wont benefit the other person in any other way. ;) So when someone is pointing at you, remember than there are three fingers pointing back at them ;)

• yea thats true
    thanx u guys soo much
    thank u magnooona and sleepy

CA
  • Anytime.
    lol

sleepy
  • ;D i luff u guys!!

• lol..... ;D ;D ;D...thanks mrs.morrison...she retires!!!!!its about time but she helpled me in this issue!!! ;D ;D
  • NO ITS NOT MY FAULT!!

god bless all! :-*