Fasting Days This Week!?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I received a forwarded text saying that Pope Shenouda is asking all Copts to fast Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday for Nag Hammadi.. can someone verify this.. thanks!

Comments

• Guys please, if anyone has information about this, please share!!
  • I haven't heard about this, but I don't see the harm in doing it regardless if the whole church is or isnt.
  • i read it on my friends' facebook status and i came here to ask if any of u guys heard it.......i dont know if its true..but as gregorytheSinner said "I don't see the harm in doing it regardless if the whole church is or isnt."

Mark 9:29 And He said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.
  • our priest announced it today after the evening prayer meeting, it's official, please fast and pray.
  • Actually, it's just a rumor (that's going around the world apparently), my priest also got a recorded message from the pope saying we should fast these three days then he contacted the bishop and the bishop contacted another bishop (the pope's secretary) and he said that the pope never announced that  :-\ but anyhow, whether or not the pope announced it, I'm doing it  ;D

[quote author=+iloveJesus link=topic=8672.msg109126#msg109126 date=1263114886]
    ..but as gregorytheSinner said "I don't see the harm in doing it regardless if the whole church is or isnt."

Mark 9:29 And He said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.

amen to that!
  • Ya. Our priest told us to fast too. GBU
  • This was actually just a big rumor. Multiple priests contacted H.G Anba Kyrillos, Bishop of Nagi Hammadi, and H.G said that this is not true and H.H Pope Shenouda did not say anything about this. And also the priest of my church said not to fast unless ordered by H.H or by any Bishop. It is wrong for one contained church to do anything on its own. They must get permission from H.H, or any Bishop. Or H.H or any Bishop must order the church to do a certain thing in order for it do anything.
  • Same thing happened in my church

my priest said that H.H. never said that
    he also said there is nothing wrong with fasting, but we were not directed to do it by the pope
  • I do not know whether or not the pope asked us to fast, but what I do know for certain is that all churches in the Archdiocese of North America are fasting from now until friday this week according to H.G. Bishop David (nacopts.org). I am not sure if Anba Yousef or Anba Serapion have said anything concerning this, since I see nothing on their respective diocesan websites, so I'm guessing it's just the archdiocese.
  • just saw anba David yesterday-it's official

Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
    Liturgy Friday and Saturday
  • [quote author=Ya Raab link=topic=8672.msg109268#msg109268 date=1263441819]
    just saw anba David yesterday-it's official

Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
    Liturgy Friday and Saturday

hmm.....and it is also official that it is an optional fast.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.