Sister Orthodox Churches

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
What are the sister Orthodox Churches of the the Coptic Orthodox Church?

Comments

• were there 5?

Armenian, Ethipian, Erithrean (not sure of spelling) and not sure of the other(s) Orthodox

are these the ones you mean?
  • syrian, indian
  • yep, it's armenian, ethiopian, syrian (not antiochian, that's an eastern orthodox church) and indian.
    the eritrean church is technically a 'daughter' church of the coptic church, so not fully separate, although they do have their own patriarch. his name is aboune antonius and he is under house arrest by the eritrean government as they are trying to take over the church.
    see here:
    http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?topic=7575.0

other daughter churches are the french and british orthodox churches. they are headed by metropolitans, not patriarchs, as they are smaller (but very cool!)

the eastern churches are also our sister churches in the faith, and i hope we can work more closely together in the future  :)
  • The Ethiopian Church would also be classified as a daughter church, not only eritrean.
  • what about the ones that we mention in the pope's litany in the liturgy? Antiochan, Eritrean, and Ethiopian? are those sister orthodox churches?
  • the ethiopian church is not a daughter church .I know this for a fact .
  • I think it is axum because they have the same pope as the coptic orthodox......ill double check just to make sure!!
  • The Ethiopian and Eritrean Orthodox churches both have their own Patriarchs.

Father Peter