Touble Maker

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
How do you deal with people who purposely annoy you and cause problems for no reason(because they are bored)?

May God Bless

and pray for me an unworthy servant full of sins!

Comments

• love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you
    i am not so good at this, but when i try it it REALLY works, and God gives u peace  :)
    suffering brings us closer to our dear Jesus who suffered so much for us. thank God for this friend whose mean actions make you run to Him in prayer.
  • Sometimes God wishes to teach us lessons other than those we wish to learn.

We may think that when we are trying to do some spiritual activity then anything or anyone who disturbs us must be a temptation or a distraction. But we also have the lesson of obedience to learn. Do we remember the account of the monk who as busy copying one of the Gospels. Yet when his master called him he leaped up immediately and left the letter he was in the middle of writing unfinished. He didn't even wait to finish the letter, let alone the word or the chapter.

I have had to learn such obedience in my own family, and I am still learning. There is certainly a time when we must say, 'I am sorry but I must finish this', but often, even usually, there is a great blessing in leaping up and taking care of others needs cheerfully and without hesitation. For me this means that if my wife calls me to do some housework I try to turn to it straightaway as a blessing. (I do not always succeed!).

If this person is bored then is there something you can do to help them? Positive things that will be a blessing to you both, not necessarily obviously spiritual things. There is a blessing in such service of others. We should not allow our spiritual life to wither by inattention, but to find a spiritual service in the practical care of others - even in washing the dishes - is a blessing and a spiritual activity itself.

Does this person want to spend some time with you? Can you take the initiative and seek ways of befriending this person? Do pray for them and ask that God will show you ways of service which put your spiritual life into practice.

God bless you

Father Peter
  • [quote author=Tzegemariam link=topic=8478.msg107595#msg107595 date=1257640743]
    How do you deal with people who purposely annoy you and cause problems for no reason(because they are bored)?

May God Bless

and pray for me an unworthy servant full of sins!

Stay away from them.
    If your right hand causes you to sin, cut it away from you.
    The same with a friend.

But today on CTV they talked about that. They didnt say to cut relations in a bad way; leave them away in peace without offending them... but stay away from them. Its OK to not get along.
  • stay away from them. and if you can't, just ignore them. if it truly pleases them to see you bothered, ignore them and they will stop, because then they will see that it no longer produces the results desired. I am an expert, i have a little sister  8)

good luck!

chris
  • as soon as they start to annoy you say a quick little prayer like "God you know how much i am annoyed by this person, help me to be patient and help this person not to be so annoying." My FOC recommended that to me, in my situation the guy behind me in math class keeps hitting me on the head with the bottom part of the blinds next to both of us. Hope this helps! :)

May God grant us all patience
  • This is a nice series about dealing with difficult people

http://orthodoxsermons.org/sermons/dealing-with-difficult-people-series