Telling Peope you are fasting

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Salem Everyone,

I was wondering if it was bad to tell people you aren't fasting when you are?
Recently when I had been fasting, someone asked me if I had been,
i had said no, was that bad? This wasn't the first time I had did that.

Please reply

Thank you and May God Bless You All

Comments

• well, first you must ask yourself the question why you are denying it? and you must also consider that denying fasting is the same as denying your faith, for fasting is a large part of your faith. this, obviously, is wrong. remember the story of how st. peter denied Christ 3 times before the rooster crowed? but now were getting deep, so lets get back to the first question. why do you deny fasting to others?

god bless,

chris
  • [quote author=Tzegemariam link=topic=8486.msg107652#msg107652 date=1257901802]
    Salem Everyone,

I was wondering if it was bad to tell people you aren't fasting when you are?
    Recently when I had been fasting, someone asked me if I had been,
    i had said no, was that bad? This wasn't the first time I had did that.

Please reply

Thank you and May God Bless You All

No, I think you did the right thing. When you fast, do not show it like the Pharisses used to do.I think that is why our Lord commanded us not to reveal that one is fasting.

And whenever you fast, do not look dismal, like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces so as to show others that they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that your fasting may be seen not by others but by your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

- Matthew 6:16-18 (NRSV)

I tell only on certain occasions to avoid eating non-fasting foods. When asked,one does not need to answer the question  directly ,though. You could give a general answer without refering to yourself.
  • A lie is a lie. Abraham lied about Sarah out of goodness of heart. Yet, it was still a sin.

When it comes to fasting, theres no worries in telling someone you fast because they asked you. When referring to the fasting of scribes and pharisees, they did not fast for God, but they fasted for people to see - They wanted people to see how 'good' they are - As he says in Matthew 23, they clean the outside of the cup - only what people can see.

Fast for yourself and for your love for God. If a priest is asked if he is fasting, will he answer no? Obviously not, he is an example, and so are we. We can set an example for others, while still not being like the pharisees...

GB
  • Jshouck is correct. If you go around telling people who arent asking that you are fasting then that would be like the pharisees. If someone asks and you say yes, that is fine. If you say yes, we Copts fast 210 days out of the year, then that is wrong. It is like bragging. A simple yes works.
  • +i agree with jshouk n ioannes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Maybe Tzegemariam feels that she should not tell people she is fasting because it will make them feel bad or that she only wants God to know and does not want the earthly reward of men. I have similarly lied when asked about fasting because I did not want people to call me a "saint" or to make these people feel bad. But it is still not right. God puts us in places where we are sitting amongst people who are not fasting and when we are asked we give a testimony to what a Christian should do.

God Bless
  • [quote author=+iloveJesus link=topic=8486.msg107660#msg107660 date=1257921159]
    +i agree with jshouk n ioannes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so do i!!!
  • Well AikotiEnsok, Good question, denied I was fasting so I don't want people to know so they won't go and tell others(it was sort of a private fast) and I feel that its taking all the point of fasting away.
    Then again, a  part of me just doesn't want people to know i'm fasting, so they won't look at me differently and it can just be a secret between God and I.
    So that is bad, what should I do if someone asks me, if i am fasting and its a private fast?

Thank you sooooo much for your replies everyone

May God Bless You all
  • I guess it just takes wisdom, which i don't have yet but i know it's coming because i ask God for it everyday.

I think it depends on the situation and the person asking you. If they are church friends, and they know we're not in the period of fasting and you tell them you're fasting, they're probably going to inquire about the reason and when you tell them, they might do the same thing when they have a problem. Remember the verse, "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven" (Matthew 5:16). It depends on your heart and why you're telling them this. Is it that you're proud of yourself and you're boasting or is it that you just want to let the light shine so that they glorify GOD and not you?

On the other hand if it's someone not from church there's no need for them to know that it's a private fast.

check these out:
    http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?topic=7818.0
    http://www.coptichymns.net/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-8774.html
  • Hi all!

A good question, and good answers. But, I think, it probably would be good to tell "None of your business" "Sorry, but I can't tell you" - straight and honest.
  • or ask that person who is asking you "if i told what would it matter? What would it change?"
  • Thank you all
    May God Bless all of you

Pray for me a huge sinner