woman!!!!!!!!!

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Guys I need help.... One of my dear freinds who is a female does not believe that God cares how woman dress as long as they dont do bad things. She thinks that entering Bikini Competitions and doing bikini modeling is not wrong, or NOT a big deal. She thinks me being against it is MY personal opinion. I need bible quotes that stress that how woman dress MATTERS to Godl Pleassse guys... I really care about this friend, and shes going down a very dangerous path

Comments

• matthew 5:28 'if anyone looks at a woman lustfully, he has already committed adultery with her in his heart'
    romans 15:1 'we who are strong out to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves'
    james 5:19 'whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death'

so why are there bikini competitions?
    there are 2 possible answers.
    1. it is because we rejoice at the beauty of God's creation, and look on it with all purity and love.
    2. it is because men like to engage in lust.
    if no 1. is true, we should all walk around naked (ok, not in winter!). if this is true, you will see that all people in all countries live happily together and never have sexual desires except for the person they are married to. a quick look outside the window or at the news reports should show you (her) that this is not true!
    if no. 2 is true, which, of course, it is, then your friend has to give you a good reason why God wants her to drive the men around her to lustful thoughts and sin. does she hate them? does she want them to go to hell? why does she want to please herself and not follow the teachings of Jesus as quoted above? there are many other relevant quotes as well, maybe other people will find them.

of course we don't want women (and men) to walk around with a bag on their head or dressed in stinking rags so that we are sure we don't lust. the Bible is written so that it can be applied in all societies and in most societies a moderate amount of clothing indicates that the person is not 'available' to fulfil other people's sexual desires. i am not suggesting that hiding yourself under a tent prevents lust, if you do this, then people will get excited to see a corner of your eye! people should think about how their clothes look to other people, which means, if i go to a small village in upper egypt, i will wear more clothes than if i go to the amazon jungle in brazil.

indeed, if your friend insists on being undressed, she should seek out a remote tribe that still exists in brazil where people do walk around naked without arousing lust (as long as they fulfil other social 'rules' that indicate good behaviour).

by the way, men also need to be careful about how they dress, short shorts and a bare chest in the summer is too exciting for many young ladies, who try to avert their eyes but find very little of the body is clothed! so how PEOPLE dress matters to God. we are all exhorted by james to 'turn a sinner from the error of his ways'. as a woman, i can confirm that women also need help with these sorts of problems!

i expect your friend is quite innocent and belives other people are just like her, maybe she has no idea what goes through the mind of a man when he sees her in her bikini. please direct her to the threads on this forum about sexual sin and maybe this will open her eyes! this is what good faithful Christian men struggle to deal with, how does she think the non-Christians think? i have had many non-Christian male friends who have told me too much about what they think and i can assure her they do not look at women in bikinis for reason 1. above!
  • +the following verse shouldnt just be applied to meat, but i reckon with all things

Romans 14:15 But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.

if your brother is tempted because of something we do, you no longer walk in love...1 JOHN 20-21 " If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen? And this commandment we have from Him: that he who loves God must love his brother also."...you shouldnt destroy the one for whom Christ died for.
  • + 1 Corinthians 6:19 (KJV)
    What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=8382.msg106690#msg106690 date=1254457033]
    so why are there bikini competitions?
    there are 2 possible answers.
    1. it is because we rejoice at the beauty of God's creation, and look on it with all purity and love.
    2. it is because men like to engage in lust..

i have a more reasonable answer:
    women like to engage in lust by showing off
  • hi, +ilovejesus, i was looking for that verse and didn't find it! yes the important thing is that our bodies belong to God, so we should ask if Jesus would take part in a well-toned abs competition, and, if not, then it's also not for us.
    this is why we shouldn't show off; we are holy.
  • There is no verse in the Bible that states a woman should not wear a bikini, nor model - but there is no verse also to say that taking Class A drugs is wrong either.

Everyone can justify the most cruel and immoral acts easily.

We have a newspaper that has a topless woman on it on page 3. The woman is around 20 to 23 years of age. No one has ever bothered to suggest this being indecent. Apparently, without it, the paper would sell much less. I guess the same for her wearing the bikini - she is gaining value, not by content of character or personality, but also through sex. Its a shame.

I wish people could open their minds and think for themselves, but instead, we are so poltically correct, we can do the most craziest of irresponsible acts of immorality and indecency and through verbal gymnastics justify it.

Also, although this woman is "free" to do as she wants; She is free to raise her hands in the air, but only as far as her hand touches the chin of the person standing next to her.  Does she think that her actions only affect her and no one else? Is that not selfish of her? And all that to just show off her body in a bikini??

Its not really a question of people lusting after her - it is a question of her relationship with herself. Is there a reason why she needs to do that? This is what u should be asking her.
  • It is very difficult for a man to preserve himself in holiness if a woman dresses immodestly, even if she does so without any desire to provoke temptations in others. Seeing that it is difficult for a man it seems to me that all faithful sisters should dress modestly for the sake of their brothers.

If we remember the thread about the 2 mile an hour crash causing a great deal of expense, this seems to me to be one of those situations. It might seem a little thing but it can require a great deal of effort to recover from even a small lapse into lustful thoughts.

Just as a man, and a woman of course, should seek to be in control of their thoughts and senses at all times, offering them to Christ, so we should not allow ourselves to be the cause of sin in others since those sins will also be counted against us.

Father Peter
  • +with the thing that QT_PA_2T said about the newspaper-the world to Christians is: Christians are going, through God's grace, to Him, while the world passes.
    Jesus said the world will hate you because it hated Him first (John 15:18).
    He also says be of good cheer- i have overcome the world (John 16:33)

if you want, you can tell your friend kindly and lovingly, that God is everywhere and will it be acceptable to wear bikini's in front of Him. THe Cherubim and the Seraphim cover their feet with 2 wings and face with two and fly with two, how much more should we do as God's children.
    They are God's servants. So if we are God's children we should be a light to the world and not conform to the world. in Romans 12:2 "And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, in order to prove by you what is that good and pleasing and perfect will of God." Its us against the world!

The modelling business is wrong because models are mostly considered as objects and are influenced to have eating disorders, take drugs, drink, all that worldly stuff. We are not strong against the devil if we fight alone..so the person who says i will not fall into any of these and falls into them its because we are not relying on the Power of the Almighty God but the power of our weak selves-the devil said to someone before:i will take on the strong because i can make them fall, but those who are weak i cannot make them fall because they have the power of God fighting for them.
    it's not worth gaining the whole world and losing your soul.
    Pray, God will solve it! But if u have a chance to do good and dont do it, its a sin.- i think thats a verse in the bible i read it before ..i dont know where in the bible..i forgot.
  • Just a note:

We cannot, and should not justify our sins by the actions of others...i.e.:

'I had lustful thoughts, but it's all because she/he was wearing this or that'

We are responsible for our own actions.

During the fast, I can't demand of those around me who don't fast to refrain from eating, I have to control my own thoughts and actions..

• [quote author=Godislove260 link=topic=8382.msg106712#msg106712 date=1254560501]
    Just a note:

We cannot, and should not justify our sins by the actions of others...i.e.:

'I had lustful thoughts, but it's all because she/he was wearing this or that'

We are responsible for our own actions.

During the fast, I can't demand of those around me who don't fast to refrain from eating, I have to control my own thoughts and actions..

youre right that we cant justify out sins, but i dont think that justifies someone deliberately tempting others by eating or showing off in front of others... we should love one another and bring others closer to the faith
  • Wisdom of Sirach 9:8
    Turn your eye away from a woman with a shapely figure,
    And do not gaze at beauty belonging to another.
    Many have been led astray by the beauty of a woman,
    And erotic love is like a burning fire.

• i know i've mentioned this before, but men, please take care with your clothes as well, no bum cracks please, and keep your t-shirt on at the summer barbeque if there's ladies around.
    very tight shorts when running the 100m are also not a good idea  ;)
  • One of my favorite verses in the whole Bible, or at least one that i can closely identify with
    is "Charm is deceitful, beauty is fading, but a woman that fears the Lord is to be praised" it is in Proverbs 31

God Bless
  • yes, and i love the way she makes sure she spends time at home with the family, and also runs her own business and is soo cool (proverbs 31 verses 10 to the end). she is a great role model  :)
  • I'd like to share something I received from a Catholic friend. Its about looking up to St.Mary the Theotokos as a role model and patterning one's life according to it.

http://campus.udayton.edu/mary/resources/marymodel.html

Commenting on the "tasteless", " in your face" dress code that one encounters at some Dubai malls, some of my "moderate" Muslim acquaintances keep reminding me of Mariam as the epitome of feminine purity that everyone must know about. They have a valid point.

GBU,
    rpm