Abouna Youstos

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Hello, today I watched the movie called The Silent Monk which is a movie about the life of Abouna Youstos of St. Anthony's Monastery. I was absolutely amazed by the film and it brought me to tears many times from the beauty of it. I want to know more about him though, but I can't seem to find anything. Is there a book or something online that has his life in English? I would deeply love to know more about this holy Saint of God.

May St. Abouna Youstos' prayers be with us all!

Comments

• Me too, and anything in English about other modern Coptic saints such as Abouna Youstos.

Father Peter
  • Bump

Can anyone help out?
  • Sorry i don't have a book, but i also saw the movie.  It is crazy how humble and peaceful and of course silent he is. I wish i could be like him some day.
  • [quote author=andrew21091 link=topic=8112.msg104886#msg104886 date=1248380388]
    Bump

Can anyone help out?

Hi Andrew21091,

Just a quick message:there are no english translations available on Saint Youstous' life.Not yet.However, there is another Saint named Abdel Messih El Manahry whose virtues and  ascetic life are similar to that of Abouna Youstos (also lived around the same time frame).

Please visit : http://www.elmanahry.com/ and you will find his movie,a book in english, miracle testimonies, the story of the miraculous Shawl that is said to be doing miracles all over the world and the schedual of the guy who travles with it etc. etc.

I hope you find this info as valuable.
  • for abouna yostos, I was talking to a family member, who is a priest now, and he was telling us how when he visited the monastery of St. Anthony in Egypt, they saw this man who didn't even look like a monk!

it was a church group, and they even took a picture with him not knowing who he is, putting money in his hand as a beggar!

after that by 10-20 years, he found out who he was, and saw that it was him in the picture!!!

if you want information about him, I do have a paper about him from saint Anthony's... its a good six page paper about how/who he was, but due to copyrights I cannot post it here, if you want to PM me your email I'll send it to you!

akhadna el baraka, neshkor Allah!
  • i talked to someone before who is in love with this beautiful saint and he said that there are lots of books about him in English....he said that church libraries may have them but he said that the libraries in monasteries definitely have some (that is the monasteries in California or Texas)....I believe he also mentioned that you can ORDER IT from the California monastery.
  • [quote author=Ηεζεκιελ link=topic=8112.msg104950#msg104950 date=1248468465]
    Hi Andrew21091,

Just a quick message:there are no english translations available on Saint Youstous' life.Not yet.However, there is another Saint named Abdel Messih El Manahry whose virtues and  ascetic life are similar to that of Abouna Youstos (also lived around the same time frame).

Please visit : http://www.elmanahry.com/ and you will find his movie,a book in english, miracle testimonies, the story of the miraculous Shawl that is said to be doing miracles all over the world and the schedual of the guy who travles with it etc. etc.

I hope you find this info as valuable.

Wonderful! Thank you. I will definitely read up on him.

[quote author=SuperMAN(BAM) link=topic=8112.msg104959#msg104959 date=1248479309]
    for abouna yostos, I was talking to a family member, who is a priest now, and he was telling us how when he visited the monastery of St. Anthony in Egypt, they saw this man who didn't even look like a monk!

it was a church group, and they even took a picture with him not knowing who he is, putting money in his hand as a beggar!

after that by 10-20 years, he found out who he was, and saw that it was him in the picture!!!

if you want information about him, I do have a paper about him from saint Anthony's... its a good six page paper about how/who he was, but due to copyrights I cannot post it here, if you want to PM me your email I'll send it to you!

akhadna el baraka, neshkor Allah!

Great account from his life. I will PM you about the paper right away. Thank you!

[quote author=the_least link=topic=8112.msg104960#msg104960 date=1248481390]
    i talked to someone before who is in love with this beautiful saint and he said that there are lots of books about him in English....he said that church libraries may have them but he said that the libraries in monasteries definitely have some (that is the monasteries in California or Texas)....I believe he also mentioned that you can ORDER IT from the California monastery.

Thank you. I'll check it out.

Thank you all for the help.

God bless!
  • I want that paper too Superman
  • somebody brought to my attention that this paper is online... on saint Antony's monastery website... here is the link!

http://www.stantonymonastery.org/elibrary/pdf/FatherYustusStANTONY.pdf

akhadna el baraka... neshkor Allah!