Applications

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
I was going to ask this to my FOC but I haven't had a chance...is it wrong to write down various church services i've done on applications, for example like medical school applications or even job apps. I feel weird writing things like that down as extracurricular activities and letting everyone know about it. besides, shouldn't these type of services and activities be between me and God...something I'm doing in the house of God and that's it,  no one should know about it? I remember a verse in the bible talking about how if people give us glory, then our "thank you" is recieved and therefore our father in heaven will not reward us.....
i might be reading too much into this.....
sorry for the rant ;D

Pray for my weakness

Comments

• I know the feeling. Well, my FOC told me that for Church  services like Sunday School, you should put it on your application because it says something about you. He told me that a person who serves is different than one who doesn't.

Besides, if you spend much time in the church, and don't put those things, you'll have a huge gap in your app. and the people will be like, what does this person do with all this time....

Ask your FOC anyway.

By the way, I had a different situation in which I didn't ask my FOC, but did the opposite thing. For high school, I had to complete "service hours". But I would never hand in any hours I did for Church, because I didn't wanted them to be counted by men, but by God. So I found other service to do and to be counted, except that wasn't perfect either b/c then I ended up doing the other service to be counted, but o well.

God bless and hope this helps.
  • user00,

I'm sure this is going to be a topic of very wide opinions, but it seems to me like what you did was perfectly appropriate.  It's good to serve God and to recieve no credit from people because the service is for God alone, but it is also good to serve people.

It is pretty wierd to log hours of community service and get worldly recognition, but on the other hand it's got to be a good thing to contribute to making community service more of a normal acivity to promote more good will in the world.  Good will in itself will not save anyone, but I think it will make it much easier for christians to function normally in the world and to spread the word.
  • [quote author=GArgiriadis link=topic=8044.msg103552#msg103552 date=1243451841]
    It is pretty wierd to log hours of community service and get worldly recognition, but on the other hand it's got to be a good thing to contribute to making community service more of a normal acivity to promote more good will in the world. 

GArgiriadis, where I live, you must do 40 hours of community service in order to graduate high school, so it's not weird to 'log' the hours in many cases. I believe the point of the 40 hours *is* to make it more of a normal activity, and to push students to go out there and make a difference.

As far as putting various church services down on your resume or application, I think it depends on what it is. For example, helping organize a fundraising dinner for the church congregation might show the employer that you can take on certain roles and are a reliable person who can work in a team environment. Perhaps helping with activities for the younger kids at church shows that you are responsible and can help care for others. In my opinion, sharing this is not for glory, but rather just showing what skills you have, where you have applied them, and how you might be able to benefit the employer. As you continue in the workforce and gain more experience elsewhere, you may not have to put this stuff on your resume... But like everyone else has said, it wouldn't hurt to ask your FoC.

Please pray for me,
    Mansour89
  • I believe services you do in the Church are not to be displayed on applications/resumes. When you chose to serve in the Church, or help the poor, needy or sick or whatever it may be it's between YOU and GOD. It' is not for show or extra credit and if it is then it defeats the whole purpose of doing it. These kinds of services are solely for God and should by NO means be used to help us get into college, get a job or fulfill a high school requirement for graduating.  We should not try to get earthly credit for everything we do.

"Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven" Matthew 6:1
  • so...i'm exactly where I started...all of you make valid points but they contradict eachother. I still don't know what to do
  • ;D We all agreed on one point-- ask your FOC. Do whatever he tells you and at least this way your conscience will be at rest,