Dress code.

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• Imagine you are going to meet the president of the United States, what would you wear? Wouldn't you want to wear your nicest clothes to impress him? Now, were not talking about the president, or even a king.. we are going to meet the King of Kings!! And it's true that God only looks at the heart, but we should still look nice in his presence.
    Personally, I save my jeans and shirt for school (sometimes a3shaya) but Odas is always formal. I don't go to impress anyone, but at the same time I am entering the King's house, I want to look nice.
  • [quote author=DimyanCoptic link=topic=8009.msg103216#msg103216 date=1242607632]
    Other than, of course, your tonia if you are a deacon, or a sharb if you are a women, does our church have a dress code?

My church priest tells everyone to dress nicer than when in school. I personally wear jeans, and a button-down shirt ..

God bless you all

Well I'm not sure if it's set law or anything, but I know its recommended in our Church (and most Orthodox Churches) that for women, the dress or whatever they're wearing is not too revealing; dresses should come down to at least the knees. For both men and women, no sleeveless shirts and no shorts.
  • What do you guys say about the balance between modest and dressing our best? Have you ever felt uncomfortable in the presence of a person dressed not very modestly at church, like a girl showing to much skin?

What would you do:
    1. Reproach yourself for being judgmental or even having the wrong type of thoughts?
    2. Give her some gentle advice?
    3. Or pray for both yourself and her?
    Waiting for someone to enlighten me!
    In Christ
    Theophilus 
  • yeah, i agree with no showing 2 much (that should be outside of church as well!) and for men, no really tight t-shirts or tight trousers, we ladies can be weak as well!
    but i don't agree 100% u have 2 be smart, God accepts u as u r. ok, maybe it's a good idea to wash, and to change yr clothes if u have just been digging the street, but it's 2 easy to get legalistic about what u can and can't wear at church.

what is most important is to 'wear' an open heart and a teachable spirit
    :)
  • in response to my friend theophilus,
    yeah pray 4 someone showing 2 much. maybe ask a lady u know well to have a quiet word, if it's a regular thing. (don't talk to her yourself as a guy, she will die of embarassment!)
    at the same time check out yourself and your male friends to see if there are any 'problems' on the men's side!
    ladies, please don't show your cleavage/thighs, wait till you're among people that are 100% pure and then you can go naked, if you like! (i.e in heaven)
    even if you are 100% pure yourself, i am sorry, very often there will be 90% pure guys looking at you and getting tempted and not listening to the liturgy.
    actually, this applies outside church as well.
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=8009.msg103226#msg103226 date=1242611600]
    in response to my friend theophilus,
    yeah pray 4 someone showing 2 much. maybe ask a lady u know well to have a quiet word, if it's a regular thing. (don't talk to her yourself as a guy, she will die of embarassment!)
    at the same time check out yourself and your male friends to see if there are any 'problems' on the men's side!
    ladies, please don't show your cleavage/thighs, wait till you're among people that are 100% pure and then you can go naked, if you like! (i.e in heaven)
    even if you are 100% pure yourself, i am sorry, very often there will be 90% pure guys looking at you and getting tempted and not listening to the liturgy.
    actually, this applies outside church as well.

Thanks mabsoota. You are right, even if we are are strong we should try to avoide things that will make others fall.
    In Chrsit
    Theophilus
  • Hey guys about the esharb,
    Do we have to wear it during the mass. I personally don't like to wear it during the mass except communion time. Is it wrong not to wear it during the mass?
    Please pray for me
  • [quote author=marina008 link=topic=8009.msg103289#msg103289 date=1242760269]
    Hey guys about the esharb,
    Do we have to wear it during the mass. I personally don't like to wear it during the mass except communion time. Is it wrong not to wear it during the mass?
    Please pray for me

H.G. Bishop David encourages females of all ages to wear an asharb (veil) even when she is in her room, alone, praying. It is needless to say that it is necessary to wear it during the Liturgy.
  • [quote author=marina008 link=topic=8009.msg103289#msg103289 date=1242760269]
    Hey guys about the esharb,
    Please pray for me

See 1 Corinthians 11
  • I just dont really like to wear an esharb Lol. I pray without wearing an esharb at home. I'm still not sure if it's wrong not to wear one.
  • It is a must in the Church. If certain types are annoying, find one that is more comfortable. Unfortunately, many girls do not wear it, especially on Feasts when they have their hair done.
  • [quote author=marina008 link=topic=8009.msg103321#msg103321 date=1242783565]
    I just dont really like to wear an esharb Lol. I pray without wearing an esharb at home. I'm still not sure if it's wrong not to wear one.

The crown of a woman is her hair. When I wear a veil, I cover that crown before God. Certainly, I cannot stand before God to pray with a crown on my head, for He is the only king. Thus, it is necessary to wear the asharb in church and at home.
  • i dont understand..why is hair crown for a woman...but not for a man???

and about the way to dress i don't think there is a "dress code" but church is NOT a fashion show and i feel that looking respectful is a must.  Although it doesn't matter what people think of your clothes, i think everyone, out of repect, shuld dress decently as not to offend anyone or embarrass anyone.  You should not be going to church to make people look at you, that just takes from where the real focus needs to be.  So i think everyone just needs to have a little common sense and respect, and it shouldn't be too hard to decide for yourself what is and is not approperiate.  Abouna should not have to tell you that your clothes are too tight, or short, or small, or flashy, or messy or whatever....just think ...this is the most important thing i can do...the most important apppointment of my life...is this what i want to wear?? i
  • Like I said, read 1 Corinthians 11
  • THESE PEOPLE ARE DRESSED PROPERLY:

........except for the lady wearing sunglasses
  • [quote author=Australian link=topic=8009.msg103485#msg103485 date=1243221208]
    THESE PEOPLE ARE DRESSED PROPERLY:

........except for the lady wearing sunglasses

i thought that whole country is dressed that way?!
  • erm, the sunglasses lady looks ok to me..
    ???
  • [quote author=DimyanCoptic link=topic=8009.msg103216#msg103216 date=1242607632]
    My church priest tells everyone to dress nicer than when in school. I personally wear jeans, and a button-down shirt ..

God bless you all

haha the school i go to requiers that u sine ur shoes, shave and wear a suit and tie everyday ... how could i get more dressed up than that ... maybe a 3 pice sut?

NESS<><
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [quote author=copticcross3 link=topic=8009.msg103419#msg103419 date=1242963569]i dont understand..why is hair crown for a woman...but not for a man???

1 Corinthians says it is a sign of her submission to men, a covering for her glory (her long hair), and a way to show respect to the angels, and to God.

i am wondering, what kind of coverings do Coptic women usually wear? do they wear hijab style like Muslim women, or a mantilla, or something else? 
  • I think with this topic is that some people believe that it is a tradition that has no biblical bases so they chose not to do it. I am not a girl, but I know how a girl could feel either really happy or really upset depending on how her hair looks especially on feasts. Thats why when it looks like they dont like to cover it; but we must know that it is something mentioned in the bible that all women should be doing regardless. We probably dont realize the blessings behind it, however we have to take it as a commandment and later we will see its benefit when God willing we get to heaven.
    It depends on whats a priority in our lives and I am trying to criticize/judge anyone, but if I choose to not weir a veil because I would rather show my hair to everyone in church, while praying, then the priorities are shifted. If God is first then I will choose to do anything to give him all the glory. Same goes for guys, I know guys that dont like to dress on feasts because they are wearing the best clothes they have and dont want to put the tunic on it. So basically, what I am saying is we all have to regularly check our priorities and have faith in God's commandments.
  • in church we wear a loose hair covering, a bit like european women would wear when they go out, about 100 years ago, a triangular headscarf tied loosely under the chin is the most common in coptic churches in the uk, or some people wear a long rectangular scarf over the head (it usually exposes the fringe if you have one, but it doesn't have to) and flick it under the chin over the opposite shoulder.
    some women don't tie their scarf (i think they don't want to mess their hair!) and some women don't wear a scarf except when they go up to receive Holy Communion. basically we women are supposed to wear a scarf throught the service and not be so vain!
    ethiopians and eritreans (and some copts) wear white scarves, but this is not compulsory.
    but, of course, visitors do not have to wear one.
    please visit one of our churches and see!
  • mabsoota, thank you. i have seen pictures of the Ethiopian women with their white scarves and white dresses, so lovely and modest!

i would like to visit a Coptic church someday, Lord willing. there may be some near to me, so i will see. i came to Christian faith in 2008 by God's grace, and we go to a conservative Protestant church now. i love it very much, but would like to visit other churches, too.

some women in my church veil, too. but these are mostly very older ladies, and not all of them practice this.
  • I sat with some friends who were talking about this subject..

The most obviously convincing answer I heard them say was that hair represents the crown on a girl's or a woman's head. When in Church in the presence of the King of Kings, i.e. during prayers, liturgy, mass and communion, covering her head when in front of Him by a convenient Christian motif head cover is her clear sign of humbling and submission to the Almighty Lord God.

Remember God says He resists the proud.
    My 2 cents.

GBU

EDIT:

John 12:3 [NKJV]
    Then Mary took a pound of very costly oil of spikenard, anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped His feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the oil.

it might also be a reason why the woman used her hair to wipe Christ's feet with the precious perfume...