tattoos

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
hello everyone.. i just need a bit of advice... i wanna get a tattoo on my right wrist that about an inch by inch... and its going to be the orthodox cross.. i also think im going to go get it out here in the states.. how does our religion go on getting tattoos? Is there also any other place where i can get it.. just for your info i am a deacon and im 26 yrs of age. I also asked aboona kyriloos in clearwater FL and he said that if you want one go to the "Dare" and do it.. so i just want some advice on going and getting this tattoo

Comments

• this has recently been discussed.
    http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?topic=7689.msg100637#msg100637
    i don't think anyone found an actual place in usa to do it, so maybe someone has found one since this previous discussion and will give you advice.
    go for it!
  • [quote author=jackgirgis link=topic=7906.msg102492#msg102492 date=1241318359]
    how does our religion go on getting tattoos?

The origin of cross tatoos was imposed by islamic rulers on christians.Islamic rulers issued decrees and made it obligatory that all Egyptian Christians should have their wrists cross-tattoed. The idea behind it was clear: to make it easier to identify and control the infidels amongst the people of allah.Prior to this practice Christians used to wear large crosses around their  neck for identification purposes. Today it continues as a tradition , partly to commemorate the persecutions of the ancestors, partly as a symbol of faith and partly because some of us find it funky and cool.

The bible forbids tattos. Almost all family members and friends of mine have it.I still do not and I do not think I will either. I' rather tatoo the cross in my heart.

• [quote author=Ηεζεκιελ link=topic=7906.msg102667#msg102667 date=1241645720]
    [quote author=jackgirgis link=topic=7906.msg102492#msg102492 date=1241318359]
    how does our religion go on getting tattoos?

The origin of cross tatoos was imposed by islamic rulers on christians.Islamic rulers issued decrees and made it obligatory that all Egyptian Christians should have their wrists cross-tattoed. The idea behind it was clear: to make it easier to identify and control the infidels amongst the people of allah.Prior to this practice Christians used to wear large crosses around their  neck for identification purposes. Today it continues as a tradition , partly to commemorate the persecutions of the ancestors, partly as a symbol of faith and partly because some of us find it funky and cool.

The bible forbids tattos. Almost all family members and friends of mine have it.I still do not and I do not think I will either. I' rather tatoo the cross in my heart.

Interesting, I never heard of the tattoo having been imposed on Copts by the Muslims, what I heard was that in order for christians to ensure a coptic burial for themselves in a coptic graveyard, and after having many cases of people dying and being unknown and thus getting buried in muslim graveyards, , they decided to put the tattoos on their wrists so that there would be no confusion...

The story about the heavy cross Copts were made to carry is one I also heard though, and that's why Copts sometimes are referred to as the blue bone ( 3adma zar2a) since they used to get bruises from the heavy chain around their neck...
  • [quote author=Godislove260 link=topic=7906.msg102669#msg102669 date=1241646227]
    Interesting, I never heard of the tattoo having been imposed on Copts by the Muslims, what I heard was that in order for christians to ensure a coptic burial for themselves in a coptic graveyard, and after having many cases of people dying and being unknown and thus getting buried in muslim graveyards, , they decided to put the tattoos on their wrists so that there would be no confusion...

The story about the heavy cross Copts were made to carry is one I also heard though, and that's why Copts sometimes are referred to as the blue bone ( 3adma zar2a) since they used to get bruises from the heavy chain around their neck...

I am not aware of the story of christians coming up wth the idea of a cross tatoo for their own benefits, but it is possible that at a later time they may have turned the practice to their own advantage in finding and indentifying christian victims as well as the dead for proper burial service. 

Also I remember reading that the heavy crosses used to weigh something like 45 pounds/ca. 20 K. The ropes of the cross ripped through the flesh and bruised the collar bones of the victms earning them the name "blue bones" as you said.
  • [quote author=Ηεζεκιελ link=topic=7906.msg102678#msg102678 date=1241648180]
    [quote author=Godislove260 link=topic=7906.msg102669#msg102669 date=1241646227]

I am not aware of the story of christians coming up wth the idea of a cross tatoo for their own benefits, but it is possible that at a later time they may have turned the practice to their own advantage in finding and indentifying christian victims as well as the dead for proper burial service. 

Also I remember reading that the heavy crosses used to weigh something like 45 pounds/ca. 20 K. The ropes of the cross ripped through the flesh and bruised the collar bones of the victms earning them the name "blue bones" as you said.

Oh my god
  • [quote author=Ηεζεκιελ link=topic=7906.msg102678#msg102678 date=1241648180]

actually that is still remembered by many and it is a prejudice sign.