Baba Kyrillos Tounia

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Does anyone know where I can purchase a tounia that has a Baba Kyrillos on it from a website

Comments

• They make those?
  • yea the cross is in the front and Baba Kyrillos is on the back ive seen a lot of tounias with other saints but if you get a St. Mary one its in the front and I've seen one with Jesus Christ on it
  • You can have them specially made in almost any church/monastary in Egypt with any saint that you like. Strictly speaking, you should only have a cross on the front of the tonya and nothing else.

Matthew
  • The Christ arose Himself...

the tonya needs to have two crosses, one on the front and one on the back. before there was none, then through the ages they started doing such things for contemplation... the cross on the front is for your meditation through the liturgy, and the one on the back for the people, also it signifies the army we are striving to be in, the army of the Lord. recently they started putting pictures of saints... there is nothing wrong with that, because the lives of the saints have much we can meditate on also.

now to your question... there was for a while coptictonya.org but to my knowledge they stopped... so your best bet as many have already said, is when you go to Egypt, or when somebody visits you can get one... or you can ask around in your church and see if someone is talented, where they can do it for you, and it would be great... I'd probably have that person make one for me also lol...

truly He arose Himself from the dead!

akhadna el baraka... neshkor Allah!
  • SuperMAN, maybe you can correct me on this then!
    I always thought that only the priest should have a cross on the back of his tonya as it represents his responsibility for the sins of his congregation? Since the deacon doesn't share this same burden, he doesn't need a cross on his back.

Matthew
  • The Christ arose Himself...

LondonCopt, I've never heard that one before... but through all my readings, and the teachings I've been taught through bishops, priests and such, is the back cross is for the people to meditate on the cross... but for me to think its for the priest to hold our sins, it kind of goes against the church, because only God carries our sins on His ever glorious back. but the meditation about the sins is the corporal he holds while selecting the sacrifice... but again I've never heard that meditation before... forgive me if I'm wrong...

Truly our Lord arose Himself from the dead!

• Does anyone know of any place outside Egypt that is making tonias? I need a new one for my son as he is growing taller and I don't want to have to wait until someone goes to Egypt.

Thanks

Father Peter
  • Father,
    You might want to contact any of the other churches in England, as most churches I've been to have always had extra vestments just in case someone needed them or someone wanted to buy them. I'm not sure how large the British Orthodox Church is but if I'm not mistaken, the Coptic and British have the same vestments yes? If so, then one of the Coptic churches around you might have an extra one. Perhaps the Coptic Centre there?
  • That's a great idea, and I should have thought of that.

Yes, I'll contact the Coptic Centre, we use exactly the same vestments.

God bless you

Father Peter
  • [quote author=SuperMAN(BAM) link=topic=7914.msg102551#msg102551 date=1241540870]
    The Christ arose Himself...

LondonCopt, I've never heard that one before... but through all my readings, and the teachings I've been taught through bishops, priests and such, is the back cross is for the people to meditate on the cross... but for me to think its for the priest to hold our sins, it kind of goes against the church, because only God carries our sins on His ever glorious back. but the meditation about the sins is the corporal he holds while selecting the sacrifice... but again I've never heard that meditation before... forgive me if I'm wrong...

Truly our Lord arose Himself from the dead!

Sorry SuperMan, I think I was a bit unclear when I said about the priest and the congregation's sins. I meant that the priest has a responsibility to the salvation of his people. He transfers the sin of his people onto the Holy Body of Christ, who then carries our sins.

I did some digging up about the tonya issue and I found this discussion here http://www.coptichymns.net/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-789-highlight-tonya.html

Let me know what you think

Matthew
  • Dear Fr. Peter and I believe,
    I have a tonia with Pope Kyrillos on it, my grandma bought it from a convent. But if you can't wait, I found this website :http://www.heavenlyembroidery.com Go on deacon's tunics. You can choose the icon you want.

God Bless,
    Anthonypk7
  • Thanks Anthonypk7.

That's just the sort of site I need.

Now I need to look up the AUD/GBP exchange rate.

God bless

Father Peter
  • wow from AUD to US $... thats really expensive
  • From what I know and here in the Southern California, Bishop Serapion has made it a rule that all deacons should wear tonias with crosses on the front and back and no saints icons. I believe this is because the tonias with saints on them has become a new fashion that people are making and selling and the tonia should only have a cross on it for reasons already stated. For example one kid at my church has a icon of an angel standing over satan. That is not a very appropriate image to be on the front of a tonia.
  • I personally think that the Icons of saints should be on the back and the Cross in the front except for Jesus Christ and St. Mary
  • [quote author=Anthonypk7 link=topic=7914.msg102960#msg102960 date=1242087127]
    Dear Fr. Peter and I believe,
    I have a tonia with Pope Kyrillos on it, my grandma bought it from a convent. But if you can't wait, I found this website :http://www.heavenlyembroidery.com Go on deacon's tunics. You can choose the icon you want.

God Bless,
    Anthonypk7

Does anyone know if this company is still in business?  I have placed an order with them and have not been able to contact them to find out the status of my order.

Any details?