Why do we need God?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
To put things into perspective, i go to a coptic orthodox school, and one of the priests has this way of getting the kids closer to God. He says that if you pray a lot and get closer to God, he will guide you direct your path and guide you to success, i.e. getting in the university course which you want (which is mostly medicine in my school). I know that we build a close relationship with God to be united with him in Heaven when we die and to have a higher power in whom we can trust to aid us. But my friend (who isn't quite close to God) asked me "Why do we need God? It's not to be successful, i know i alot of people who are successful, top surgeons and businessmen, who are in-fact atheist. They also have families and are very happy. All they did was work hard, so if i work hard i can be successful". I didn't know how to reply to him, as he sort of has a more materialistic approach towards things.

PFM

Comments

• This world is of very little importance apart from how we live. It is a preparation for the unending life to come.

There are unbelievers who seem to do well in this life. But their riches are nothing more than ashes and rust compared to the knowledge of God which is given to those who are baptised into the Body of Christ.

Why do we need God? Because God is life, true life, real life, everlasting life, our life. There is a God shaped hole within the heart of every human, and the very purpose of the Christian life is to know God and to find an unshakeable satisfaction and fulfillment in Him.

How sad we should be for those who think they have everything but in fact have nothing at all. It is not what we have in this life that matters but how we live our lives, whatever the circumstances. This brief life is a preparation for the unending life to come. If we live only for ourselves then we will find that in eternity we will be doomed to live a cold, dark, empty existence without God - just as we chose. But if we give ourselves with abandon to God in this life and live every moment for Him, then we will find that we gain in eternity exactly what we had sought so eagerly in this life - the glory and joy of the presence of God for ever.

Many of us will live lives of pain and suffering, disappointment and frustration. The value of such a life is not measured by worldly success. I would rather sweep the roads than live a day without God, and this is the desire of all who know God. It hardly matters at all what job we have. Success is not measured in degrees and income, but in love of God and others, and service of God and others.

While everything goes well the rich man seems to have no problems. Why would the evil one cause him any difficulties. But when trials and tribulations come he has no-one to rely on. He has no-one to turn to. He despairs because he has lost all that he put his faith in. But we place our faith in a person, not in a job, or in an income, or in possessions. We put our trust in God. And this relationship with God is beyond price.

Do not seek success according to the world's measure. But seek above all to be a successful Christian according to God's measure.

God bless you

Father Peter
  • Thank you very much Father Peter

PFM
  • I really love fr. peters answer..it is very beneficial.
    I just want to add one thing i heard from my sunday school servant...
    that we have a little hole in our heart. We fill it with the world, relationships, sin, materials, ect...but our hearts will NEVER be satisfied until that little hole is filled with God.
    As st. augustine said "my heart is restless until if finds rest in You"
  • The reason we need God, is that every fiber of our existence requires His Presence.  He is Life, in all regards.
  • Hi

At the moment I am busy trying to make sure I can pay the mortgage this week, and I guess others are too. You know that people DO answer questions here!

Why not do some research on our behalf and find out what the Fathers say on this passage and post the info here, then others would know what our Church teaches. There are lots of places online to find the teachings of the Fathers on various passages.

There is no need to look at Protestant sites and see why they need God. It could be a different reason than us.

Here are sites with a few of the commentaries of the Fathers.

http://www.archive.org
    http://www.earlychristianwritings.com
    http://www.tertullian.org/fathers
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?tbs=bks:1&tbo=1&q=ancient+christian+commentary+on+scripture&oq=ancient+christian

You could try this one:

http://www.jesus-is-lord.com/need.htm (a bit protestant)
    http://www.rationalchristianity.net/need_god.html (slightly baptist)
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Why-Do-We-Need-God?---One-Answer&id=4777492 (the best answer).

But it would be good for you to read all these articles, the sayings of the fathers, the entire Nicene/Post Nicene fathers and in build for us a 1 page summary of why we need God.

Start with these and see what you can find.

Good luck and thanks for using tasbeha.org
  • I commend Zoxasi for reminding us to always turn to the Fathers. This is not something only for 'theologians' but for all of us.

It would be truly wonderful if more people did refer to the Fathers when asking and answering questions since their teachings with the Holy Scriptures are the foundation of our faith.

Everyone here is able to do research for school, college and work, so we should not have too much difficulty doing a little research to offer the other folk here as a gift.

Father Peter
  • [quote author=peterfarrington link=topic=9891.msg121468#msg121468 date=1288263756]
    I commend Zoxasi for reminding us to always turn to the Fathers. This is not something only for 'theologians' but for all of us.

It would be truly wonderful if more people did refer to the Fathers when asking and answering questions since their teachings with the Holy Scriptures are the foundation of our faith.

Everyone here is able to do research for school, college and work, so we should not have too much difficulty doing a little research to offer the other folk here as a gift.

Father Peter

Thanks Fr. Peter,

Is there anyone here that doesn't have a mortgage that has the time to do this research for us?

I think Fr. Peter, you need to get someone to answer each section - For example - if someone asks a question on theology, then there should be at least 1 person who could answer it. Perhaps 2 persons per section.

Why not create an exhaustive list of all the sites that we should or can go to for anyone wishing to do their own research??

• Zoxsasi,

You are worried because some of your questions were not immediately answered, please don't.

I feel when our father or anyone expresses his concern about a problem that adversely affects his productivity, it clearly means that at least he is expecting our understanding.

As we're not a chat room but in a forum session then I think it is also OK to be patient till we can read well prepared replies. Many times we open the forum to read but practically are not able to reply immediately or fully.

GBU
  • John2000

No no.. im not worried at all if my questions don't get answered. I was merely telling the original poster that they should do some research from the selected sites given.

However, I am suggesting that for each category in Tasbeha.org that there is a moderator who can answer questions through research (it can even be on a rota basis) - and preferably someone who doesnt have a mortgage.. say a student.

We had a few good users (my friends actually) who were doing degrees in theology at Uni, they'd have been ideal.

But let me re-iterate: im not at all upset nor impatient. What gave u that impression dear fellow?
  • It's OK it occurred to me, sorry!

GBU
  • [quote author=John_S2000 link=topic=9891.msg121472#msg121472 date=1288269010]
    It's OK it occurred to me, sorry!

GBU

Well, look, what's wrong if we assign 2 moderators in each category?
    They will be tasked to research the answer and just write it down? That's it. Its not their job to go and moderate entire threads or users, but to actually research the answers.. otherwise we'll end up with a situation of the blind leading the blind.

We can call them "researchers"
  • Thank you Zoxsasi, i looked at the resources you offered. Some good and convincing answer:

Many of us will think we're 'good people,' and of course we are; most of the time. But what about when push comes to shove on moral issues when we have our own safety, comfort and security at risk? Are we 'good people' then?

This is where God meets the breech, giving us a larger perspective with which to work with. In this, our eyes, our ears, and our hearts are more fully opened to the truth that anyone can fully see, if they desire to see as God sees.

Without God the needy go without.

WHY DO WE NEED GOD?:

1)Wisdom

We all know that we lack knowledge. Many of us wish there was someone very wise and mature that we could confide in and ask advice of, but no human knows everything or has experienced much more than a century of life. Even the people we respect and think of as wise are busy with their own lives; we can't interrupt them at any hour of the day or night and expect them to listen to all our problems.

God is of course omniscient and perfectly wise, but furthermore he is always available and willing to teach us wisdom (Jas 1:5, Mt 7:7-11). He's also provided the Bible to teach us and help us make wise decisions, specifically books like Proverbs and the New Testament Epistles (letters) (Pr 1:1-7, Ps 119:98-100, 104-105).

2) Moral behavior

We all want to be better people, yet we know that we aren't perfect and often do wrong. If we try to become better people on our own, we'll inevitably fail. If we realize our limitations and turn to God for help, he is willing and able to enable us to overcome those limitations, resist temptation and do what is right (Rom 7:15-25)

3) Justice

Who hasn't complained that life is unfair? Most of us want equality and justice in the world. We wish life were like the stories we read as children, where things turned out well for the heroes and the villains were brought to justice. Instead, we see the rich getting richer, the poor getting poorer, and people in general continue to be selfish and apathetic.

God is the one who gave us this longing for justice, for he endowed us with consciences. He will ultimately give just punishment to those who deserve it (after giving them a lifetime on Earth to repent), and those who accept him will live in a place where there is no evil or suffering (Mt 13:41, Rev 21:1-4, 22-27).
    (So i think we shouldn't demand justice for our christian brothers and sisters suffering all around the world, for God is just, and fair judge)

4) Unconditional love and friendship

We want to be known and understood completely, and loved even if our deepest failings are revealed. Yet no human completely knows another, for everyone has things they don't reveal to even their closest friends, and things they don't even know about themselves. Likewise, no one is perfect, and no one can love another person perfectly.

God, who created us, knows each of us completely (Ps 139), and loves us enough despite knowing all the evil inside of us that he died for us (Rom 5:6-8).

6) Fulfillment

Nearly everyone has a reason to get out of bed in the morning, and many people say they're happy without God. But what about fulfillment: an inner peace even in the midst of difficult circumstances, a certain knowledge of the meaning and purpose of one's life despite one's mortality, a true sense that our deepest needs have been met (as opposed to the temporary satisfaction of wealth, entertainment, success, praise, etc. that ultimately leaves one craving more)?

God created us for a purpose, and we will find fulfillment and peace when we do what he designed us to do, namely be in relationship with him and love and worship him. It was because of this fulfillment that Paul could write the letter to the Philippians, rejoicing while he was in prison and saying, "I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength" (Php 4:12-13).

7) To address our constant sin problem; situationally now and forever in the Age to come.

on a seperate note,
    The righteous do not increase the power of God and the wicked do not take away from the power of God. God has existed from eternity past without my love and He will continue enthroned in power and glory and might long after the vilest blasphemer is rotting in hell. God will be God forever regardless of what a man does or does not do. He is self-sustained in no way relying on man. We can help or hurt a man like us but we can't help or hurt God.
  • You're welcome Christ's servant.

Actually, Fr. Peter gave me the idea of getting people who don't have mortgages to go and research the questions themselves.

Well done, and I hope you gained a lot from it as much as I have.

• I most certainly have gained alot. I was surprised to find that answers were closer that i expected, again the verse that says "ask and you shall receive" has been fulfilled. Just for future reference, how do you come across references that quickly. I don't suppose you go to google and search there, as many unreliable results may appear (am only assuming,  correct me if am wrong). Thank you

God Bless, & PFMW 
  • [quote author=Chirsts' servant link=topic=9891.msg121525#msg121525 date=1288346089]
    I most certainly have gained alot. I was surprised to find that answers were closer that i expected, again the verse that says "ask and you shall receive" has been fulfilled. Just for future reference, how do you come across references that quickly. I don't suppose you go to google and search there, as many unreliable results may appear (am only assuming,  correct me if am wrong). Thank you

God Bless, & PFMW   

I had no idea about those references... i got them off Fr. Peter from another thread.