Purchasing a Church property

I see that an ancient Church is for sale in the town where my congregation has a chapel.

Parts of it date back to 1078 AD. It is a Grade II* listed building.

I am wondering if anyone has experience of finding grants to purchase and renovate such old buildings and use them for Orthodox worship.

The purchase price is £150,000 but I am sure it would need significant funds to put it in good repair and convert it for Orthodox worship, education, cultural and missionary activities.

Father Peter

Comments

• Do you have any engineers in the congregation, or any from the Coptic Churches that can eyeball the situation, and give you an idea on damage?

Ask Bp Angelos to delegate someone to the task.  There should be cooperation between the two jurisdictions.

If you do decide to go for it, put me in for $5000 (US).  It is my pledge to your congregation.

God's Will be done.
  • Offer them L. 75,000
  • That's a good idea ilovesaintmark.

I have just emailed someone I know who has already brought an ancient church back from absolute ruin and so has great experience in what might be required.

Father Peter
  • I would also get an engineer's perspective.  There are plenty of the Coptic Community that do work gratis.  I would not be shy about asking Bp. Angaelos.

Our fraternity in Orthodoxy should avail us to the talents and resources that are available.
  • Hi Fr Peter,

I have sent you an email answering your post. I kept it personal as I didnt want to post domestic problems on here.

• Did you send an email or a pm as I haven't received anything yet.

Father Peter
  • Fr Peter

Is there some way the project could be registered with the Charity Commission and then invite donations and form a fund raising committee? There are enough people who read your posts who would be delighted to help in whatever way possible, myself included.

Trying to knock the price down also seems a bright idea.

Aidan