St. Moses the Black

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
Hi all. I am just asking if u know the main parts of the life of St Moses the Black. It is for this church competition were we have to make a computer click and drag game for the younger sunday skool classes on the life of a st and one of the suggestions was the life of St. Moses the Black but i am having a bit of trouble pinpointing the main parts of his life.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• It is probably not the best thing to refer to him as "the Black".  It is not because of being P.C., but rather, he is known by the Church as 'St. Abba Moses the Strong' [Pi-gori ethowab avva Moses].
  • he was once a gangster, murderer
    he carried a bag of sand with a hole in it to resemble his sins.
    he was martyred with a group of fellow monks i cant remember how many i think 10 or 14 around that.
  • [quote author=Crazy4Christ1 link=topic=9751.msg119504#msg119504 date=1284749259]
    he was once a gangster, murderer
    he carried a bag of sand with a hole in it to resemble his sins.
    he was martyred with a group of fellow monks i cant remember how many i think 10 or 14 around that.

I believe He only carried the bag of sand with him to teach his fellow monks a lesson... He was asked to go judge a monk who had sinned, when he initially refused, they sent for him again, this time he went with the bag of sand, when tey asked him about the significance of the bag of sand, he said that it resembles his sins that are flowing from behind him with him noticing, and today he was there to judge a fellow monk... that resulted in the forgiveness of the monk that was to be judged and they all learned a lesson...

Also, He was murdered with a group of 7 monks with him
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9751.msg119488#msg119488 date=1284734028]
    It is probably not the best thing to refer to him as "the Black".  It is not because of being P.C., but rather, he is known by the Church as 'St. Abba Moses the Strong' [Pi-gori ethowab avva Moses].

It may be a country issue that they call him St Moses the Black or Strong as I have never heard of him being reffered to as St Moses the Strong but always as St. Mosese the Black. IT may be as I live in Australia. I dont know what country you live in but that may be the reason. Thanks
  • HELLPP PLEASE JUST IF U COULD TELL ME JUST THE VERY MAIN POINTS JUST THE REALLY IMPORTANT MAIN POINTS OF HIS LIFE. sorry about the Caps LOck thiny. um yes really need just the super main points. thanks.bii
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9751.msg119488#msg119488 date=1284734028]
    It is probably not the best thing to refer to him as "the Black".  It is not because of being P.C., but rather, he is known by the Church as 'St. Abba Moses the Strong' [Pi-gori ethowab avva Moses].

Good, because political correctness can go die in a hole.

I was at St. Anthony's monastery in California a while back (where St. Moses has appeared on numerous occasions, and even helped me out of a personal situation) and one of the Abounas there (for some strange reason I can't remember his name right now) said that he doesn't mind being called "the black." And he said it in a way as if he knew for sure, which I would believe. Lots of other people from the monastery said that this priest was at an extremely high spiritual level. I'm going there again soon, and I can't wait.