Mahragan El Keraza

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
Anyone from tasbeha participating this year? ;D

Comments

• haha why not? you afraid to LOSEEEE!!!! :P
  • Our church is participating!
  • it's not as famous here in the states....atleast not yet. but it might be soon.
  • what is it?
  • :O
    It's ok, I didn't know what it was until this weekend!

I think this video does a pretty good job of summarizing it :)

But basically, it's a spiritual competition for copts all around the world. I haven't looked at the elementry-middle school curriculum but 11-University includes 5 sections covering the Bible, Dogmas and Church Studies in addition to memorization (agpeya psalms, gospels, litanies..etc). Theres also optional activities and sport competitions (which are organized by age group) which are:
    1. "I am seeking my brothers" (which is bringing a lost sheep back to church by giving them a phone call, sending them an email..etc and introducing them to abouna or a servant.. then asking the servant to fill out a form and send it to Mahragan.. "There will be a certificate of recognition for each participant and special gifts to the participants who bring as many people as they can to the Mahragan.")
    2. Research (they give you 20 different topics and you have to write a research paper on how it relates to the theme of the Mahragan.. btw the 2010 theme is "Always Faithful".. last year was Being Perfect)
    3. Hymns and TASBEHA (this competition consists of two levels.. again I'm just looking at the 11-University curriculum.. I'm not sure how this is set up for the younger kids)
    4.  Coptic Language (knowing coptic alphabet, memorizing Lord's prayer in Coptic, memorizing psalm responses in Coptic, knowing personal pronouns and grammer.. etc)
    5. Drama and Mime (pretty self explanatory.. you get judged on how well you perform the play/skit/operetta/mime)
    6. Praise and Music (this includes choir, solo, and instrumental)
    7. Arts (they give you a list of art activities including crotchet/knitting weaving, drawing, handcraft, woodwork, painting..etc and you have to relate it to the theme "Always Faithful")
    8. Creative Writing (two categories poetry and short story)
    9. Multimedia and Technology (includes graphics, web design, multimedia, computer games..etc.. has to relate to the theme of the Mahragan)
    10. Sports (theres soccer, volleyball, basketball, table tennis, and chess)

These competitions are broken up by 1. your church and the winners from your church go to round 2. regional.. churches competing against other churches in your district then 3. state finals? or nationals? not sure.. anyway, you get the point.. the winners keep competing (I think theres also an international round.. France, Germany, Holland, Egypt, Cyprus, Austria, Sudan, America and Canada.. lol it's in the video ;) ) THEN the ultimate winner gets their price directly from Pope Shenouda!

There's a curriculum that sunday school teachers/servants are supposed to follow to prepare their students for the competitions.. these can be ordered from
    Canadian Coptic Centre
    1245 Eglinton Avenue West
    Mississaugua, ON
    L5V 2M4
    phone: 905-567-4032
    www.cccnet.ca
    [email protected]

Spread the word!
  • oh, Thanks for clarifying. ;D ;D ;D
  • [quote author=Hos Erof link=topic=9297.msg114875#msg114875 date=1275330338]
    Our church is participating!

when this is going to happen? :O
    How can you attend this festival in our country, ya matt?
    Abouna didn't say anything about this?
    And are there coming bisschops to our country, eg. el anba Mousa?

GB
  • Ask ur servants  ;)
    we have been busy for 5 months, since the sunday school lessons have been replaced by the Mahragan topics! I'm not sure if all ages are participating, but I know primairy and high school is.
  • 5 months!!! Dude we JUST started last week. Holland is cheating  :o