Oriental Orthodox Liturgy at Glastonbury

Each year the Anglican Church holds a National Pilgrimage to Glastonbury, one of the most ancient sites of British Christianity, and associated in legend with a visit of our Lord with St Joseph of Arimathea. (This does not have to be accepted as dogma of course).

The Anglican Church invites an Orthodox community to celebrate a liturgy at this ancient Christian site, and this year the Oriental Orthodox have been given an opportunity to witness to our faith and celebrate the liturgy.

H.E. Metropolitan Seraphim will be celebrating, and some British Orthodox clergy and people will make the drive over to Glastonbury. But it would be good to have clergy and laity from other Oriental Orthodox Churches come so that it is a witness to our shared faith. Many Anglicans are presently unsure of the future of their Church, and it seems to me that we should present a witness to our welcoming and traditional Orthodox Faith whenever we can.

SERVICE IN GLASTONBURY ABBEY

Saturday, 19 June 2010
The Annual Glastonbury Pilgrimage
St. Mary’s Chapel in the Undercroft

9.00 a.m. Raising of Morning Incense
9.30 a.m. Divine Liturgy & homily by Abba Seraphim, Metropolitan of Glastonbury

I am going to drive down. And I hope that I might see some other folk there from Tasbeha and other places and Churches. It would be sad if the Anglicans give us such a prominent opportunity to witness to our faith and not many people take it up. If the weather stays as it is then it will be a pleasant time in any case. The Liturgy is celebrated in the ruins of the ancient Abbey which is said to go back to the time of Christ.

God bless

Father Peter

Comments

• aargh!
    the date of my very big and long awaited exam!
    guess we can't change either of them  ;)
    anyone in the uk should go to this, it's an ancient Christian site and will be really awesome.
  • Don't forget this important opportunity to witness to our Orthodox Faith, and to the unity of our Orthodox communities in the UK.

The Oriental Orthodox have been especially invited to celebrate this liturgy and it will not look very good if no-one turns up.

Father Peter
  • Argh, unfortunately I will also be unable to attend the Glastonbury Pilgrimage, though I had been greatly looking forward to it since seeing pictures from previous years. I have had to move back my plans from last weekend to this coming weekend (these plans also caused me to miss the liturgy ast week) and now the are causing me to miss Glastonbury.  :-\

Though I am absent, please pray for me at Glastonbury, Fr. Peter.

In Christ,
    Daniel