Orthodox Lecture in London

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
For those of you in London, or near enough to get to it.

The new Armenian primate, Father Vahan Hovhanessian, has organised the inaugural lecture of the diocesan Continuing Education Ministry. The speaker will be Fr. Paul Tarazi from New York, USA, who is the Professor of Old Testament Studies at St Vladimirs Orthodox Seminary. Fr Paul has published many Orthodox commentaries on books of the Scriptures.

The lecture will take place at "Armenian House" in Kensington, London, this Friday, 30 April. 7:30pm - 9:00pm.

Do try and attend if you can.

This is short notice, but Father Vahan has only been able to organise it over the last few days.

There is a flyer here - http://www.britishorthodox.org/inaugural_lecture.pdf

Father Peter

Comments

• Fr. Tarazi is also a linguist of several ancient languages.  He is quite an excellent lecturer.

Did the Armenian Primate serve in the United States prior to the United Kingdom?
  • Yes. He was for a while the Dean of St Nersses Seminary. We are very fortunate indeed to have him in our Orthodox community in the UK.

Father Peter
  • Was he elevated to the episcopal rank; being that you mentioned he is now Primate.

I thought it was the same person.
  • He said, when I met him, that in the Armenian tradition a priest can be the primate, which I guess is the senior clergyman of a local national Church, but I believe he will be consecrated as a bishop this year.

Father Peter
  • He's now the second priest I know to become Primate.  I guess I'm building up good connections.

He has a good sense of humor.