A story on Baptism

Hey guys, so this sunday i am giving a sunday school lesson on Baptism, and I was wondering if you had a story on baptism that would kinda make the idea of baptism easier to understand.

Comments

• Maybe you could ask any of the kids (depends on age group) if their parents have ever talked to them about their own baptism.
    Also, for those that don't have names out of the Bible or of a saint, you could ask them what their baptism name was.
    Ask how many times were they born?

Examples of their Baptism or of yours or of a baby in church...
    Perhaps they splashed Abouna or kept wriggling and their parents had to calm them down.
    They were dipped three times for a reason, (I don't know why this number), and in water for a reason... Jesus was baptised, too...

Then the baby who is baptised wears white with the red sash and after that is able to have Communion.

So, basically, just going over the actual things Abouna did for the children as the Sacrament of Baptism and that whenever they feel like they do something wrong that the Holy Spirit is working in them. It started with Baptism.

See if you can attend a Baptism at your church that week; I remember we did that as part of Sunday School, too, or
    have Abouna share stories!
  • no i got stories like that... i was looking for something with like a message? lol idk if i am making sense... it doesnt have to be a true story just something to explain baptism
  • thinking... How about Humpty Dumpty (nursery rhyme) and putting an egg into water boiling, so it won't break easily?

idk if it that makes sense, sorry
  • I heard a story that goes like this:

A guy who had been baptized in the Coptic faith left the church and converted to Islam. During his funeral procession, St. Mary appeared and took his myroun. She said that anyone who isn't with Jesus should not have his myroun because it's holy and precious. Then, she went back to heaven.

I'm not so sure about the exact wording... perhaps someone else could add to it. This did, however, take place in Egypt sometime in the 70s, I believe! It shows how important baptism really is and the holiness of the mayroun that Abouna gives us when we're baptized. It also teaches us not to take either for granted :D
  • Definitely talk about Baptism and how it deals with Resurrection and Rebirth.

I would also mention the things we receive from Baptism as well, like the Holy Spirit.
  • [quote author=Marmoura99 link=topic=8984.msg112142#msg112142 date=1269055716]
    I heard a story that goes like this:

A guy who had been baptized in the Coptic faith left the church and converted to Islam. During his funeral procession, St. Mary appeared and took his myroun. She said that anyone who isn't with Jesus should not have his myroun because it's holy and precious. Then, she went back to heaven.

I'm not so sure about the exact wording... perhaps someone else could add to it. This did, however, take place in Egypt sometime in the 70s, I believe! It shows how important baptism really is and the holiness of the mayroun that Abouna gives us when we're baptized. It also teaches us not to take either for granted :D

Marmoura99, I think there is something wrong with this story.The sacrament of the Holy Myron grants us grace and the Holy Spirit abides in us and helps us grow spritually. I always thought, one loses the gifts of the Holy Spirit when one abandons Christ. A Christian who would convert to Islam by denying the Saviour and  embracing their messenger prophet would automatically lose all grace that he received at the day of baptism.The gift of the Holy Spirit that was freely given would be taken away instantly, for that body is no longer His holy temple.The person dies spritually and there would be no need for the Blessed Virgin to come at the time of physical death to take the persons grace away,for he had no more grace to begin with.