am i Bad chrristian because

13»

Comments

• stem cells?

well, i don't know enough about that kind of research, but was under the impression
    they could be helpful for learning more about us/how to treat disease...

Now, I'm not sure in the case of embriotic stem cell research, which embryos they use (healthy ones
    that could've grown? or what)

So, abanoub, what do you know about it?

Then we start looking at if it is beneficial. Unlike abortion, or gay rights, stem cells are used for research...
    According to my gov. teacher, Obama didn't ban stem cell research anymore.
  • A stem cell is basically a 'baby cell' that hasn't really decided what it wants to be when it grows up. Now when we get one of these cells and put them by the 'lawyer' cell it's gonna wanna be a lawyer. So lets just say your missing muscle tissue and your arm doesn't function correctly you get some of these stem cells and put them by the cells of the tissue that actually work and your arm is fully functional That is as basic as i can make it :D

The only problem people who are ant-stem cell have is that we get it from aborted children!

Now I think stem cells are great, since we can't completely STOP abortion i think the least we can do is use the aborted fetus for research or even a cure for cancer or other terminal diseases! What benefit does anyone, ANYONE! get by just disposing of the fetus?
  • Okay!

So stem cells are useful. And also, there are some abortion cases where the life of the mother would've beeen
    at stake; if they then use the aborted embryo then that would be beneficial to the research and medical world.

HOWEVER, in case of an abortion by choice, why not instead of aborting early, giving birth to the child so that
    people who cannot have a baby can raise one? Isn't that just as good? Then a life would've been saved
    and raised in a good way.

Stem cell research should not equal added freedom for abortion. That's what I think. But the idea is very beneficial!
    I haven't heard anything in church about stem cells, though.

Don't you think research is differrent than other issues because they are attempting to gain knowledge in
    order to SAVE life???

+++

• I understand the church is against abortion, but we are never going to be able to completely abolish it! So when these abortions happen (for whatever reason) i dont think getting rid of the embryo is the smart thing to do! Can anyone argue against that?
  • u can get stem cells from the bit that joins at the umbilicus (belly button) after a baby is born. it doesn't hurt at all.
    u can also get them from aborted fetuses.
    so lets NOT confuse this like the popular media does and lump it all together as 'stem cell research'
    we do NOT need abortion to do this research ( it's just there's millions of aborted fetuses lying around so it's 'convenient' to get cells from them), we can do ENOUGH research from umbilicus cells.

doing research from the umbilical cord is fine.
    doing research on aborted fetuses gives the message that abortion has a useful role. this is NOT fine.

please excuse the capitals, i feel really strongly about this!
  • Thank you for clarification!
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=8535.msg108186#msg108186 date=1260154869]
    u can get stem cells from the bit that joins at the umbilicus (belly button) after a baby is born. it doesn't hurt at all.
    u can also get them from aborted fetuses.
    so lets NOT confuse this like the popular media does and lump it all together as 'stem cell research'
    we do NOT need abortion to do this research ( it's just there's millions of aborted fetuses lying around so it's 'convenient' to get cells from them), we can do ENOUGH research from umbilicus cells.

doing research from the umbilical cord is fine.
    doing research on aborted fetuses gives the message that abortion has a useful role. this is NOT fine.

please excuse the capitals, i feel really strongly about this!

Excellent point Mabsoota.

So, would you agree that Umbilical cord cells offer the same advantages as foetuses? (with respect to stem cell research)?
  • i am not an expert, but as far as i can tell, all stem cells can be used in research, no matter what their origin.
  • the advantages are the same but the problem is the quantity of the cells, an umbilical cord definitely doesn't have as much stem cells to cure anything, but it does have enough to do some research.
  • so lets work on technology to grow them!
    still no need for millions of unborn babies to die.
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=8535.msg108223#msg108223 date=1260269021]
    so lets work on technology to grow them!
    still no need for millions of unborn babies to die.

hmmm good idea, never thought  of that. But I guess some one will figure it out eventually  :o