abortion

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hey everyone,

I've been wanting to know do we as coptic orthodx christians believe in abortion if rape happens?

thanxs GBU

Comments

• We just had our summer convention and we asked the bishop about it. Obviously as a church we do not support abortion. However, rape is tricky. First of all the decision is made on a case to case basis. So each case is evaluated individually to determine if abortion should be allowed. The bishop said if the girl knew the raper and she put herself in a position where was prone to it the  the church won't allow abortion. If it happened randomly then the church may allow it just because a girl might be too young and to avoid the inconveniences that face her in the future.
  • i think it shouldnt be allowed in any case

if someone got raped, then God allowed it to happen, no?
  • Obviously I don’t know more than the Bishop Isalsa quoted. However, allow me to share my humble opinion. Rape is a terrible thing inflicted on powerless victims by those who misuse their free-will. So, shall we allow abortion to a rape victim? What do we mean by “the victim put herself in position” where she would be raped? Personally, I think if a rape happened it is always 100% the fault of the rapper and not the girls.
    Saying this let me return to the point of self will, how we abuse and how God in His infinite wisdom use it for good. Yes, God can use bad events for a good end. An example that might help to illustrate this is the persecution in Acts 8:1 “ A great wave of persecution began that day, sweeping over the church in Jerusalem; and all the believers except the apostles were scattered through the regions of Judea and Samaria.” Though the persecution is an evil thing God used it to spread Christianity to the surrounding area. The ultimate example is the crucifixion of our Lord. Even though His suffering was in the hand of evil men the result was the salivation of the world.
    Another issue that abortion looks over is that it is punishing the innocent, both the mother and child, and not the rapper. How do we justify this? Do we dare to say the child is not a person but a blub and the mother doesn’t suffer emotionally going through abortion? It is a proven fact that the mother suffers immensely after abortion usually for the rest of her life.
    In Christ
    Theophilus