Howdy, Stranger!
It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
Categories
- All Categories 13.8K
- General Category 10.9K
- General Announcements 184
- Faith Issues 3.4K
- Coptic Orthodox Church 2.5K
- Personal Issues 1.4K
- Prayer Requests 426
- Random Issues 1.8K
- Introductions 295
- Non-Orthodox Inquiries 232
- Youth Corner 606
- Hymns 2.6K
- Hymns Discussion 2.6K
- Technicial Difficulties 368
- Technical Topics 368
Aerial Toll Houses
i have been reading alot about these aerial toll houses that the spirit passes through after dying. St. Athanasius mentions this. what is the churchs teaching on this, i know there is controversy that surrounds this.


Comments
Here is a site that shows patristic quotes in support of the toll houses: http://pages.prodigy.net/frjohnwhiteford/tollhouses.htm
On the Orthodoxwiki article on the toll houses, it has several links to articles in support of the theory as well as opposed to. http://orthodoxwiki.org/Aerial_Toll-Houses
I couldn't tell you what the OO Church says about this though because from what it seems, it became controversial in the last century with Fr. Seraphim Rose's book and his opposition from people like Archbishop Lazar Puhalo and others. I have not read Fr. Seraphim's book but I think the major problem people have with his writing on it, is that he took the toll houses very literal and his opponents said he was bordering on gnosticism but I wouldn't say that. It just depends on your point of view.