fasting

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hey Everyone,

Is it bad to eat fitari food when it's almost 12:00 a.m. on that day?

Please pray for my weaknesses

Comments

• not in essence.  Our priest tells us its not a matter of "time" aka quantity but a matter of quality.  God doesnt care if a person fasted 24 full hours or 23:32 hours, he cares about the productivity of the fast.  Whats important is that you fast from evil, before you fast from food.
  • I'm going to say something... and I know everyone is going to go against me... so please forgive me for my opinion!

we are suppose to abstain from sins during the fast... but the reason we fast from food is to learn to fast from sin!

I once was telling someone I wanted to test myself... and during the fast I went and bought a burger.... and I kept it open in my room... the smell was delightful... the appearance was tasty... even though on a regular day I wouldn't eat fast food!

by the end of the night... I couldn't resist... and ended up eating it! through this experiment I learned a lot about my steadfastness with sin... when I'm tempted I easily fall... so through fasting we learn how to control our sins...

hence why I will tell you... breaking the fast early even one minute is not for the best... usually these last minutes are the most "critical" part of the fast!

it doesn't mean that you lost all your fasting effort of the however many days... but try to stay till the end! instead of eating that night... save it till the next morning...

I'm not disagreeing with gregory.. but rather I'm just saying my opinion on the matter... just finish the strive of only couple of hours, by that you will have quantity, and quality to the last minute!

akhadna el baraka... neshkor Allah!
  • I was just wondering, is it possible to fast without doing the actual food fasting?? Like, my friend for example is trying to put on weight, but he cant do that during the fast. His diet consist of chicken and steak and tuna. So during fasts all hes really left with is tuna. He says that for a few months hes going to stop fasting from foods so he can put on the weight he wants but still fast from sin. Hel also said he'l give up things he really enjoys doing. Is that still considered fasting?
  • He should discuss with his FOC, as the priest is the one to understand his spiritual needs.
    You can put on a lot of weight eating peanuts, as they are 50% fat, or chips (i eat quite a lot of chips during fasting periods to prevent weight loss, especially as i don't eat wheat). and maybe he could eat earlier in the day. i'm not sure the fasting in the morning is appropriate for everyone, especially people who are doing very difficult or dangerous work, again it needs discussion with the priest.
    i know some people will read this and be surprised there are some people who are afraid to lose weight during fasting, but for thin people, it is important not to loose too much weight. i started eating more chips when tasoni started to get worried about my weight during lent and abouna agreed with her and told me to eat more!
    so, the priest is the best person to advise you.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.