guys i have asthma

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
if i take the asthma pump during the 9 hours we fast to take holy communion can i take communion?

Comments

• I think you can. I have asthma as well. Abouna once said that medication is alright before communion because your health is important.
  • I'm sure you can... Just double check with Abouna but please please do Not stop taking your inhalers/ meds on time
  • of course you can, you just have to let Abouna know
  • I don't really understand the issue cause asthma medication is generally an inhaler which you aren't drinking or eating so i don't see how thats breaking the fast, talk to your FOC to be safe
  • [quote author=bigeee link=topic=8168.msg104578#msg104578 date=1247406153]
    if i take the asthma pump during the 9 hours we fast to take holy communion can i take communion?

of course you can, people who take medicines in pill form are also allowed to take them with water..fasting before communion is to show respect and not indulge in food before the sacred body and blood. medication is not an indulgence and it does not satisfy hunger either. so dont be so tight on yourself
  • [quote author=mnc_hnn link=topic=8168.msg106002#msg106002 date=1252019283]
    [quote author=bigeee link=topic=8168.msg104578#msg104578 date=1247406153]

of course you can, people who take medicines in pill form are also allowed to take them with water..fasting before communion is to show respect and not indulge in food before the sacred body and blood. medication is not an indulgence and it does not satisfy hunger either. so dont be so tight on yourself

Untrue. The idea of not eating or drinking, i.e. fasting, before recieving communion is because during the medieval periods many people, who had been drunk would regurgitate and vomit on the sacraments, which as you could guess was not pleasent.

So people were politely required to abstain, partially under the pretext of 'fasting to prepare the body for Christ', or 'to make room in the stomach for him'.

Not very black and white...