Effect of Coffee

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I think you guys will probably not like this topic.. but I feel I need to ask this.

What effect does coffee have on us?

does it make us feel tired..

It is clearly known in the world to help us have energy for some time and to make us concentrate.

But does it cause too much irritation sometimes and is it a sexual stimulant? can I blame some of my temptations on this..

I feel I want to have coffee everyday.

Sorry if I have caused people now to want to abandon a beneficial product.. how do I know if the devil is tempting me? I have rebuked satan many times.

Comments

• Why not switch over to decaf?

It is quite possible to be addicted to coffee, and this does have effects on our mind and body.

There are some interesting (and they don't appear crank or controversial) notesa about the effects of caffeine here..

http://www.vegetarian-nutrition.info/updates/caffeine_effects.php

While I couldn't imagine life without coffee  :) it might well be wise to limit the bad effects by drinking decaf. If you are feeling tired and irritable then this is not the best basis for resisting temptation.

Father Peter
  • Thankyou Father Peter for your reply.

I might not be irritable due to coffee.  Decaf cofee has no caffeine. I need something to help me focus on my studies. I get stressed sometimes. I don't get annoyed from people. But I have trouble controlling some thoughts which I try to supress. I try to ignore all thoughts and stay still..And I am thinking it could be from the caffeine. I am addicted because I let myself believe that it will help me study. I refuse to do any work without caffeine. I don't trust myself perhaps.
    Pray for me to give this up and to study and pass. I once did a course which I did badly in because I could not study and I changed to a degree more suited to me. The devil perhaps always introduces new ways to harm me.

Since I see all churches selling pepsi I reasoned it must be acceptable to God.
    I feel the top part of my head cursing and then I want to punch my head or compress it
    lol

But whether is is psychological or not I have done well in some subjects even taking caffeine.. but I am thinking maybe I can do well still without it.. maybe God can help me focus.

• [quote author=NeedWisdom link=topic=8159.msg104510#msg104510 date=1247033609]
    I think you guys will probably not like this topic.. but I feel I need to ask this.

What effect does coffee have on us?

does it make us feel tired..

It is clearly known in the world to help us have energy for some time and to make us concentrate.

But does it cause too much irritation sometimes and is it a sexual stimulant? can I blame some of my temptations on this..

I feel I want to have coffee everyday.

Sorry if I have caused people now to want to abandon a beneficial product.. how do I know if the devil is tempting me? I have rebuked satan many times.

If you mix coffee with whiskey or any strong alocholic drink and heat it, then it becomes very potent. I don't think it will increase your sex-drive, but you could be tempted to do some crazy things later.

I agree with abouna Peter on this - drink decaf.
  • I have tried to take my own advice and have just stocked up with Decaf today.

You can get a Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi. That sounds a good idea on lots of levels.

I am sure from my own experience that we mess up our lives by feeding ourselves junk. Too much caffeine, too much sugar, not enough exercise and so not enough good sleep all lead to poor concentration and the perceived need to feed ourselves more caffeine and sugar to concentrate.

I am going to experiment with cutting out caffeine and doing some walking every day to see if it helps me feel more spiritually and mentally alert.

Father Peter
  • hi bro/ sis
    i think you are too worried. do you have a spiritual father / mother? what does he say about your studies? are you someone who asks a lot of himself?
    i think you need to know that God loves and accepts you as you are.
    romans 5:8 says that Christ died for us while we were still sinners.
    remember this Bible verse when you have negative thoughts and God will lead you and help you. He loves you very much.
  • I will think more about this sometime