Purgatory

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Why don't we believe in Purgatory?

Comments

• and wat is purgatory?
    lol ive herd of it b 4 , but maybe i forgot...aniwais
    todalloooooo
  • Purgatory is the believe that after we die, we will first be made pure, because there's supposed to be a purification between the sins in this life and the holiness in heaven. This purification is believed to be some kind of temporarily place where u will be cleansed of ur sins in fire.
    People that believe in purgatory rely on verses such as:

11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; 13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. 14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. 15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire. (1Co 3:11-15)

This is of course total nonsense; let's consider this words of our Lord that he said to the right thief:

Luke 23:43 - And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

Did he say; today u will be with me in paradise, after u have been cleaned? NO, he said TODAY.

Also, why do we need to be purified in fire, aren't we purified by the blood of Christ????

Romans 5:9 - Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

Ephesians 1:7 - In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace

Colossians 1:14 - In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins

Hebrews 9:12 - Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

Revelation 7:14 - These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

there's a million other verses (especially in Hebrews) that talk about the redemptive work of the blood of Christ.

Purgatory is complete nonsense, and our church surely doesn't believe in it.
  • ow yeah, i'd appreciatte it if someone would be able to explain the Corintians verse ;D. What's meant by this fire? The work of the Holy Spirit perhaps??? ???
  • An interesting Topic guardian angel.

our belief for salvation can be put into this formual:
    1) God's Grace (His Salvation, Redemption, etc...)
    2) Our Faith (We believe in one God...) and Works (negative by stopping sin and positive by doing good;chairty, loving our enemies, etc..)

Our Salvation = 1+2

The Idea of Purgatory goes against that by sayin those who were good, but did some sins, will suffer for a while then go to heavin.

His Holiness Pope Shenouda III wrote a book about the Purgatory. (I know it is in Arabic, but not sure if it got translated or not)

If you have a chance, read it, it goes in depth to answer why the whole idea is wrong.

Just my thoughts