Should i get baptised?

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
OK here's the story.

I was born to two (eritrean)orthodox parents and have grown up in the orthodox church and faith BUT i was born in Saudi Arabia (i moved to england when i was 1 year old) and thus there was (and still isn't) any churches there and thus baptisms take place covertly and secretly and you basically get whatever type of priest you can get your hands on and therefore my sister was baptised as a greek orthodox but as at the time of my birth there was no orthodox priest avaliable i was baptised by a catholic priest. Although i have no vendetta against the catholic church i consider my faith (if not my deeds) orthodox therefore what do i do?

P.s. i am now 19 years old

Comments

• Selam Selam
        Well few months ago we had Eritrean Kids who were baptized in Greek Orthodox Church join our Oriental Orthodox church. They we accepted into our church with chrismation and some prayers. Therefore your sister doesn’t need to be re-baptized but only chrismated.
    As for baptism by Catholics you would get more info in the following discussion: http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?topic=8035.0
    I found the comments of Fr. Peter very enlightening and you might want to take a look at them.
    In Christ
    Theophilus 
  • [quote author=St teklehaymanot link=topic=8071.msg103724#msg103724 date=1243958036]
    OK here's the story.

I was born to two (eritrean)orthodox parents and have grown up in the orthodox church and faith BUT i was born in Saudi Arabia (i moved to england when i was 1 year old) and thus there was (and still isn't) any churches there and thus baptisms take place covertly and secretly and you basically get whatever type of priest you can get your hands on and therefore my sister was baptised as a greek orthodox but as at the time of my birth there was no orthodox priest avaliable i was baptised by a catholic priest. Although i have no vendetta against the catholic church i consider my faith (if not my deeds) orthodox therefore what do i do?

what you need to do is contact a canonical orthodox priest, explain to him and he'll lead you to what's you must do. I don't see what can we do here. it's your choice to become of the faith (through the sacraments) or not. You might not need baptism if the specific priest you speak to says you don't.
  • [quote author=St teklehaymanot link=topic=8071.msg103724#msg103724 date=1243958036]
    OK here's the story.

You are Catholic now. The simple thing you could do is, go to one of your local Eritrean,Ethiopian,Coptic,British Orthodox,Armenian,Syrian Church and get converted.There is no reason for you to remain Catholic,if your background is Orthodox. Concerning your sister, if she goes back to your country, she can not take communion there. I do not think,there are Greek Orthodox churchs in eritrea and ethiopia.I have never heard of eritrean-ethiopian Eastern Orthodox church.