During confession

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
During confession I usually run out of breath and find it hard to speak. When I confessed last time I think that abouna did not hear one of the sins that I said. Would God still forgive me? Please give me your opinion about it. Should I confess it again the next time I confess? Thanks

Comments

• Even if Abouna didn't hear you, God did.
  • As long as you confessed about it without deliberately saying that sin in a very low voice, then god will accept your confession.
    :) but dont make it a habit to say all the embarrassing sins in a low volume

pray for me
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • a question that i have always had about confession....is it ok to categorize?
  • what do you mean? to categorize similar sins as one sin?
    I believe that in confession it is really important to reveal every sin no matter how small it seems because once you reveal it, the devil will not tempt you with it as much. But if you keep it hidden from your father of confession, then he will use that against you all the time.
  • by "categorize" i mean saying something like "sins of tongue, sins of honesty, sins of lust, sins of....."
  • I dont think thats good or else I can go confess and tell abouna "I committed sins of the heart, body and mind, I sinned absolve me, bye" :) how convenient would that be
    its for the person's spiritual benefit to reveal every sin to his father of confession.

pray for me
  • except, the categories i mentioned are with limits, unlike what you mentioned.

in the categories i mentioned, it is known what the individual sins of it are

tongue = swearing, talking back
    honesty = lying, cheating
    lust is obvious

any thoughts?
  • I would expect that it depends to a large extent on your FOC and on your relationship with him.

It may well be that you are concentrating with him on overcoming some particular sin and he will wish to know in more detail how you are getting on in that regard, while in respect of other sins he might only wish to know that you are aware that your sin is not limited to the one or two issues that loom largest.

If he thinks you are hiding your sins then he can always stop and ask you to elaborate a little.

Some categorisation seems reasonable to me. It can be both a means of identifying particular sins, while not going all the way down to the individual occasions of every sin, which might take many hours to recount. If I say 'I have been lazy and selfish, and when my wife has called me to help around the house I have often found excuses', then this both exposes my sin, without going all the way down to, Tuesday, 19th May, 8:32 am, I was asked to get some bread for packed lunch and I was reading emails so I was slow to jump up and obey'. Tuesday, 19th May, 8:34 am, I was asked to make some cups of tea, and I was still reading emails so I was slow to jump up and obey'.

But a person's FOC might want some of that detail in regard to some sin, to help a person see what the problem is.

God bless

Father Peter
  • You know God forgives us with out even us Asking, all it takes is the will.  As long as you were willling to confess your sins you are forgiven.

Did mary magdaline confess her sins?.. God saw her heart when she was about to get stoned, and he saw how sorry she was (she didnt even say anything). God forgives you he can see your heart.

Jesus also forgave the Lame guy, he never came to God and said can you forgive me? all he wanted was to love God and he came to him.. and with out asking for forgivness God forgave him.

Same with the prodcal son , he just came back and never even spoke to his Dad and said im sorry but the Dad ran out to him and huged him and made a great feast for him.

You see... It is not what your mouth says.. it is what your heart says... Always come to God when you are in need and he will forgive you with out even asking. Because God is all loving.
  • the_least:
    I know what you meant by what you said; but lets assume you tell your father of confession, I have problems with sins of the tongue, and you move on. how would he know which sin you need help with (assuming you arent struggling with all of them)? Thats all I meant by saying that categorization is usually not preferred, but like Fr Peter said, not going into too much details is also good, so not too much or too little details

Pray for me
  • [quote author=Pharaoh714 link=topic=8010.msg103391#msg103391 date=1242899354]
    You know God forgives us with out even us Asking, all it takes is the will.  As long as you were willling to confess your sins you are forgiven.

Did mary magdaline confess her sins?.. God saw her heart when she was about to get stoned, and he saw how sorry she was (she didnt even say anything). God forgives you he can see your heart.

Jesus also forgave the Lame guy, he never came to God and said can you forgive me? all he wanted was to love God and he came to him.. and with out asking for forgivness God forgave him.

Same with the prodcal son , he just came back and never even spoke to his Dad and said im sorry but the Dad ran out to him and huged him and made a great feast for him.

You see... It is not what your mouth says.. it is what your heart says... Always come to God when you are in need and he will forgive you with out even asking. Because God is all loving.

Mary Magdalene is NOT the woman who was caught in the act... This is a widespread misunderstanding!
    The only thing mentioned about Mary Magdalene, is that she had 7 evil spritis in her and Jesus freed her from them.., nowhere does it say she was an adulteress.

Gb