"Rumors"

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hey
Ive got a Question.
For Example:
Someone in my Family told me a story about a Woman in our Church she is sometimes in the Monastery in Germany.
One Time it was Morning the "Bakir" Prayer just started,she and her Grandson wanted to go to the Prayer.
Then they went into the Church,suddenly the church sound very full and many people are there. (The Church trough the Normal Week Days is very Empty)But she didnt saw anybody it,it was like there are many people and it took her 15 minutes till she get to a Sat.
Do you Think if someone tells you something like this you not sure that its true would you believe it?And what do you think of Rumors?
PS:Allegedly,a Abouna Did confirmed it.But what is if she just said it without its true?

Please Remind me in your Prayers.

Vanessa

Comments

• dear vanessa,
    i don't quite understand what this rumour is about, like if the woman had a vision in church or if she didn't want to sit down, but the important thing is:
    i DON'T want to understand it.
    you see rumours do lots and lots and lots of damage.
    there are 2 reasons someone would talk about someone else

1. because they are upset and need your help. this is ok.
    if someone starts talking because they are upset, you should do this:
    tell them you want to talk privately about it (not in front of other mates)and then pray with the upset person and say 'abana alathi' together (Lord's prayer) and then help the upset person to seek reconciliation with whoever hurt them.
    what that person has told you is confidential, do not repeat it, not even here!
    if the upset person does not want reconcilliation, then they are just gossipping, you should not listen to another word on the subject. also they should not take communion because they are not trying to be reconciled with their brother or sister.
    if too many people are telling you upsetting things and it's too hard to help them, ask them not to tell you and to speak to abouna or an older person in the church who is known for praying a lot.
    by the way, it's ok to spread good 'rumours' like 'tasoni's cooking is very good' etc, i am assuming this is a bad rumour and something negative about this woman.

2. because they want to gossip.
    THIS IS NOT OK

IT DESTROYS CHURCHES (i have seen this with my own eyes)
    IT IS NOT PERMITTED IN THE BIBLE

so don't ever listen to gossip. if no one is listening the people trying to gossip will shut up.

so, for example, if you think you saw someone being rude to your friend but are not sure, don't ask about it. your friend will tell you if she/he needs your help. and don't point it out to someone else. this is gossip. just pray for them both, privately and quietly.
    if you are sure you just saw someone being rude to your friend, go up to them both and ask politely if there is a problem (maybe you are mistaken). if there is a problem, help them to resolve it, remembeing God loves both of them. if they don't want your advice, don't try to give it, and don't talk about the problem. it is not your problem. if you are worried, pray about it privately.

in the example you gave, you can ask the person who told you if they are upset with this woman. then offer to help them be reconciled. if the person who told you is not upset but is telling you something negative about this woman, this is gossip and is haram.
    so it's best just to pray about it, and if your friends can't find anything to talk about unless it's gossip, then you can all go on tasbeha.org forums and choose from hundreds of topics to discuss!
    also, you can make time to pray together and practise tasbeha or english songs or read the Bible

what i am trying to say is there is never any need to listen to or pass on rumours.

may God guide you, and pray for me too in my weakness.
  • Regarding rumors, here is what I think:
    *If its a true rumor, then it isnt a rumor but a fact, so I thank god that he revealed my sins on earth so I can repent rather than revealing it on judgement day
    *If its a false rumor, then I thank god for giving me a blessed opportunity to carry with him part of his cross; as it says blessed are you when they revile you, persecute you and say all kinds of evil against you FALSElY for my SAKE, rejoice and be exceedingly glad for Great is your reward in heaven for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you
    So in either way, you come out winning, either it leads to repentance or humility with heavenly rewards