Thinking about sin...

Shh
edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hello all,

God's grace to all, I thank everyone in this group for amazing advice, wonderful insight, love, and prayers. (before I ask my question, I implore you all to please pray for me and my family, things have been very difficult here these past few months. and it is a struggle to keep our faith; however through the intercessions of Saint George and your prayers, I know God will provide in His time)

Now my question...

When have you actually sinned in God's eyes? For instance the bible commands "thou shall not kill" so obviously murder is a sin. But what if I said man I want to kill so and so. is that a sin? or if I went out and bought a gun, bought the bullets, followed the person around? have I sinned yet?

Or with sins of lust? obviously sleeping with another you are not married to is a sin... but what about going to a hotel, making a phone call, and setting up an appointment (having NOT seen anyone yet), Is that a sin? so for instance you go through all that trouble and then through the Grace of God either the person your calling can't make it, or you come to your senses and realize this is a mistake. Does God view that as you have defeated the sin? or have you still sinned for simply thinking and attempting to carry it out?

I hope I asked my question clearly.
Look forward to your responses.

Please again... pray for me and my family.

Peace to you all.

Comments

• Someones still living in the OT.. haha im just kidding!! I suggest you read Matthew 5:17-48 about Christ fulfilling the law.. that should pretty much answer your questions, if not then I'd be more than happy to explain further!

Peace.
  • You have committed the sin once your heart has strayed from the path of God. If you make further actions in pursuing such sinful thought, that simply means that you are continuing in such sin.

For example, lets say I terribly hate some person for one reason or another. This is a sin in itself, for you shall even love your enemies as yourself. Now, you can stop there. If you continue to hate the person, it still remains a sin. However, if you genuinely repent and ask God for forgiveness (followed by subsequent confession), God will forgive you. However, if you do not stop there, i.e. you went, bought a gun, and followed the person around, then that is further extension of the sin. Now you are committing acts proving your sin. You bought the gun and followed the person around with the intention of killing him. If you repent at this point, you will also be forgiven. The only thing left to do if you haven't repented at this point is actually killing the man. This is obviously a sin. If you repent after killing the man, God will accept your repentance and confession. However, you must accept the punishment you are bound under by civil law.

I hope that clarified your issue, and please pray for me.
  • There is this TV show, "dateline, to catch a predator". Though the pedophiles on this show didn't have sex with the supposed minors they are still legally persecuted based on their attempt. Same goes to those who attempted murder but don't succeed – charged for attempted murder.
    Sorry if I sound very judgmental. I am just trying to illustrate even by earthly standards attempt is a crime. However, since earthly judges cannot prove our lust in our hearts lust is not trialed as crime until you try to implement it. God on the other hand can see our "attempt in our hearts" which is lust and so will rightly judge us for it as - attempted sin.
    Pray for me a sinner and an attempter.
    In Christ
    Theophilus